Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 abs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C4 abs

I'm not getting any replies over in C4, so I figure you guys might be able to help:

So my 89 track car is nearing completion. All that's left (yea right, lol) is wiring, corner weighting, alignment, and tuning.

I'm running a carb setup, and rewiring the whole car since the PO decided to play cut and splice. Basically I'm removing every wire that won't be used. I just want a little info on the ABS, since I'd like to keep it.

If I'm reading the FSM correctly, it looks like I need to keep the Lateral Acceleration Switch, an Ignition On input, a brake applied input, and power on the wire from the fusible link. Does that about cover it? I don't really see the need for lights, but if they are required, I can put some in.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

It sounds reasonable.
I didn't see your post over in c4

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
If I'm reading the FSM correctly, it looks like I need to keep the Lateral Acceleration Switch, an Ignition On input, a brake applied input, and power on the wire from the fusible link. Does that about cover it? I don't really see the need for lights, but if they are required, I can put some in.
The accel should be a sensor, not a switch, I assume that's what you meant. Lights should not matter for operation, but you never know with some of the old systems. I think I have an '89 FSM, I'll take a look at the wiring diagram.

You sure you want to keep it? James, do you still have ABS?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
The accel should be a sensor, not a switch, I assume that's what you meant. Lights should not matter for operation, but you never know with some of the old systems. I think I have an '89 FSM, I'll take a look at the wiring diagram.

You sure you want to keep it? James, do you still have ABS?
Yea I still have ABS for now. Not sure how useful it will be when I upgrade the brakes.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Yea I still have ABS for now. Not sure how useful it will be when I upgrade the brakes.
If you want, I can take pictures of the wires that you need. It's ungodly simple when it comes down to it.

I ended up figuring it all out. Here is what is posted in my C4 Tech post:

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Thanks for the reply. I spent most of the day hacking about 50 lbs. (literally) of wire out of the car. I had a friend who is more literate with wiring diagrams than me. What it came down to was it needed a power input, via the "J" fusible link, it needs the lateral accelerometer, a brake input via the brake switch to the 3rd brake light, wheel speed sensors (obviously), and an ignition on input.

It was pretty easy once I got to looking at it. Basically all that was needed was about 5 wires out of the entire body harness. I kept aft end of the car harness. (Lights, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, ABS, brake lights, defroster, hatch release, etc.).

And yes, you are correct that the unit is stand-alone. The diagnostic for the early ABS plug in-line with the module harness and the module. Now I just hope the ABS actually functions.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 abs

Quick Reply: C4 abs