Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Cars and Reverse Lockout Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Race Cars and Reverse Lockout Solenoid

Sorry, for all the nebulous questions lately, but final assembly is moving on, and well....gotta get 'er done!

OK, I am sure most of you have the stock trans wiring harness and this is not in your realm, but I have a standalone aftermarket engine ECU and plan on no wiring to the diff/trans sensors. So looking for major build cars like mine....

Rockland Standard told me to hook the reverse lockout to the brake lights so it is simple to use reverse. This sounds simple for the driver, but I was wondering about that solenoid firing 10-20 times a lap under braking, and how that will affect its life and performance. Not to mention reverse will be "open" under braking (probably no big deal since you should be downshifting at the time instead of upshifting towards reverse).

I thought of putting in a toggle switch to open reverse, but this is kinda clumsy for the driver, and has the potential to be left on after using it. A momentary switch was another, but then I would need to hold it while the car is in reverse.

Any more elegant solutions out there?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an elegant solution but you can do one of two things. One is remove the solenoid and install a freeze plug in its place. Number two is keep the solenoid and just push through the solenoid when you need reverse. It just takes a little bit of effort and is what I did for years on my camaro that had a 6 speed conversion.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
Not an elegant solution but you can do one of two things. One is remove the solenoid and install a freeze plug in its place. Number two is keep the solenoid and just push through the solenoid when you need reverse. It just takes a little bit of effort and is what I did for years on my camaro that had a 6 speed conversion.
Hmmm....I would like to know more about the second solution. I had a T56 with no wiring hooked to it initially in the Camaro....not sure if the solenoid works the same in that trans...I remember just pushing it hard into reverse with that. Can someone confirm the Corvette will still work like that? It would be the simplest....
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default reverse solenoid

I use a momentary switch close to shifter. Seems to work well.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by J.R.
I use a momentary switch close to shifter. Seems to work well.
Do you just use the momentary switch to get it into reverse? After that you can let it go and get OUT of reverse later no problem?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default solenoid

Do you just use the momentary switch to get it into reverse? After that you can let it go and get OUT of reverse later no problem?

Yes - I use it only to engage reverse, then release it, and it functions normally.

I mainly use it for backing into position on the grid. It probably gets used a few times during a race day.

I took a small piece of 1/4 in. ABS and bent it into an "L" shape, drill a hole for the momentary switch and mounted it with industrial strength velcro on the tunnel next to the shifter.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think a 2 position switch would work just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Cars and Reverse Lockout Solenoid

Quick Reply: Race Cars and Reverse Lockout Solenoid