Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
theBOSS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling

How do I Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling for serious road racing on a 2007 C6?

I'm putting a Racepack dash in front of the DIC and want to totally and permanently disable the traction control and active handling.

Last edited by theBOSS; 02-13-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I assume this question is regarding a C6 - is that correct???

I saw your original post in the C6 section, so I'm guessing you're talking about a C6, and in your original post I believe you said you wanted to maintain the stock ECU.

I don't think you're going to have any luck at all trying to do that.

If you really want to get rid of it, go with a MoTeC engine management system.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Those two functions are part of the ABS system. You could pull out the EBCM and BPMV and re-plumb the brake lines to make up for the gap left in them by removing the BPMV. You will also lose the ABS if you do that. Don't know how much weight that would save but it would be removed from the front of the car. If you pull just the EBCM and leave the BPMV in place you lose all 3 functions as well but don't have to re-plumb the brake lines.

Bill
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't know, and after 5 years I finally had a weekend where the system completely ruined an event for me. If I keep this car, I am going to put the TPSM's in a pressurized canister and just keep them in the car!

Nothing like having the rear brakes engage the moment you turn the steering wheel at all at speed!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I don't know, and after 5 years I finally had a weekend where the system completely ruined an event for me. If I keep this car, I am going to put the TPSM's in a pressurized canister and just keep them in the car!

Nothing like having the rear brakes engage the moment you turn the steering wheel at all at speed!
Dang....that sucks David. I was wondering where you had disappeared to....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I posted one lap just to help the guys up front win more tires, but I couldn't resuscitate the system after putting OEM wheels back on, resetting battery, etc etc etc.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM
theBOSS
Heel & Toe

OK...so without using a Motec (which is what I really want to do but didn't budget for that this year), what is everyone else doing? If I cover up the DIC with the racepack dash, I won't be able to see when its in competition mode. Is there a way to permanently stay in competition mode for a 2007 C6? Has anyone attempted to do this using the stock EMS?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full race? Relocate the DIC to where you can see it. And you'll want all off and not "competition mode." You could wire a circuit that would do the "press & hold" for you whenever the car power cycled. A vendor used to sell these for the C5, but I never saw one for the C6... Shouldn't be too hard to find an EE to build it, though...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM
theBOSS
Heel & Toe

Yes...a dedicated track car. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted one lap just to help the guys up front win more tires, but I couldn't resuscitate the system after putting OEM wheels back on, resetting battery, etc etc etc.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

this past weekend, even "press and hold" didn't work. The system locked up solid, would not respond to anything. After driving around 30miles with the street tires back on (even though it was registering pressure immediately) it finally kicked back to normal. I'm seriously doing the pressurize canister mod...........
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this past weekend, even "press and hold" didn't work. The system locked up solid, would not respond to anything. After driving around 30miles with the street tires back on (even though it was registering pressure immediately) it finally kicked back to normal. I'm seriously doing the pressurize canister mod...........
Yup. I saw you had TPM issues that made it freak out. I had that one day, too. One sensor flaked while I was out on track... the system _turned back on_ and slammed on the brakes entering a corner. Glad I had made some time on the guy I'd just passed...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have info on how to do pressurized canister. I have traveled 1200 miles for a track event to have the same problem. It is very frustrating.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Do you have info on how to do pressurized canister. I have traveled 1200 miles for a track event to have the same problem. It is very frustrating.
1 - Procure 4 TPM sensors.

2 - Sync them to your car.

3 - Put in PVC tube, cap both ends.

4 - install wheel air valve in one of the caps and pressureize to 30psi.

5 - Crack open a beer and admire your work, then toss in rear chuby.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CGZO6
1 - Procure 4 TPM sensors.

2 - Sync them to your car.

3 - Put in PVC tube, cap both ends.

4 - install wheel air valve in one of the caps and pressureize to 30psi.

5 - Crack open a beer and admire your work, then toss in rear chuby.

Thank you. I don't think I could of handled another cross country trek to a track to have issues with AH/TC without having a melt down.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
theBOSS
Heel & Toe

OK...I'm convinced. These street devices neeed to go. Hello MoTec! Thanks everyone for sharing.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just that I don't know what type of sensor they use, but can you put the entire TPS in the canister, or just the inner part (with valve sticking out like in a wheel). Just want to make sure it actually measures pressure, not a differential pressure between the inner and outer portion.

Get notified of new replies

To Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling

Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Just that I don't know what type of sensor they use, but can you put the entire TPS in the canister, or just the inner part (with valve sticking out like in a wheel). Just want to make sure it actually measures pressure, not a differential pressure between the inner and outer portion.
I'm positive there is no sensor outside the valve to measure ambient pressure, so it can't compare ambient pressure to the pressure in the tire. If it did it would be alot more expensive, the GM beancounters would have shot it down to save $.

Good idea to mount one sensor with the valve sticking out of the tube.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Just that I don't know what type of sensor they use, but can you put the entire TPS in the canister, or just the inner part (with valve sticking out like in a wheel). * Just want to make sure it actually measures pressure, not a differential pressure between the inner and outer portion.

The top picture shows the sensor unpressurized - you can see the pressure shows as "0.0" and the sensor ID# is displayed on the screen of the tool, and it's the same # that is on a barcode strip on the back of the sensor.

In the second picture I've got that sensor loose inside the PVC container. The valve stem that is sticking out is a sensor from some other vehicle. There is just one Corvette sensor loose inside and I used a different sensor for the valve stem so that when I set the tool up to trigger the Vette sensor it would only trigger the loose one.

You can see that the valve stem does not need to be sticking out in order for the sensor to work properly. You can see the pressure is indicated as 25.6 psi, and it's the same sensor ID# as in the top picture.

A couple things to consider

1 - You will need to program all the sensors into the TPMS computer in the car before you put them into the container. The antenna of the tool needs to be within a couple inches of the sensor in order to trigger it, and if all the sensors are in that small area you will probably trigger multiple sensors at a time and they won't program into the TPMS properly.

So....program them all separately, then put them into the container and pressurize it.

2 - Guys report that this pressurized canister thingy works for them, bu I'm not sure how!?!?

When a C6 is parked for about 15 minutes the sensors go into a sleep mode where they only transmit once every 60 minutes to save the batteries. So, that's what will happen when the sensors are sitting still in a container - they'll only transmit once per hour.

When you start driving faster than 20 mph the sensors detect wheel rotation and wake up and transmit once every 60 seconds - even sooner if they detect a rapid change in pressure.

So.....I'm not sure how the sensors in a pressurized container only transmitting once every hour will update the TPMS often enough to keep problems from occurring.

BTW David, for your 2006 you need sensors used in the 2005-2009 C6 - GM part# 25758220. In 2010 they changed to a different TPMS computer in the car, and it requires a different tire pressure sensor.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

2 - Guys report that this pressurized canister thingy works for them, bu I'm not sure how!?!?

When a C6 is parked for about 15 minutes the sensors go into a sleep mode where they only transmit once every 60 minutes to save the batteries. So, that's what will happen when the sensors are sitting still in a container - they'll only transmit once per hour.

When you start driving faster than 20 mph the sensors detect wheel rotation and wake up and transmit once every 60 seconds - even sooner if they detect a rapid change in pressure.

So.....I'm not sure how the sensors in a pressurized container only transmitting once every hour will update the TPMS often enough to keep problems from occurring.

Bob
From what I have seen reported on the forum guys have been able to park their cars next to their street wheels between track sessions and that allows the street wheels to update the pressure monitoring system. Once they get out on the track they can drive up to an hour before the system says there is an issue. So as long as the sensors in the cannister report once an hour the car should be happy.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling