Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borg Waner T5 box on a Chevy Small Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Borg Waner T5 box on a Chevy Small Block

Hi

A little “off topic”, but some of you guys may be able to help!

I have a friend based in the UK who has built a Cobra Daytona replica for racing, which runs a Chevy small block and a Borg Warner T5 Manual trans. Due to issues with the bolts from bell housing to trans (I think) the box has stripped a few of the gears!

My friend is looking preferably for replacement gears and lay shafts etc, or perhaps a new box that’ll fit. He has spoken to a gearbox shop in the US, but they deal mainly with Fords and advised him that the internals on a Ford T5 would be different. (any thoughts on that?)

Does anyone know of a likely place to try for spares, new box etc etc.

Very many thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Ttt
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The Borg Warner T5 is just not stout enough for racing and will be a continuing problem. The Tremec TKO would be much better but still not as stout as an all out racing dog box like the Jerico 4 or 5 speed, G Force T101A, EMCO or similar.

With the torque of a good small block chevy or ford road race motor, really all you neeed is a road race geared Jerico 4 speed.

We buy these from Nascar teams, fresh rebuilt with billet shifters for about $ 3000.

We typically gear them something like 1.87, 1.51, 1.21, 1.0........ so it is similar to having a 5 speed, just no first gear. We use first gear on track in the slowest corners.

Last edited by bosco022; 02-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bosco022
The Borg Warner T5 is just not stout enough for racing and will be a continuing problem. The Tremec TKO would be much better but still not as stout as an all out racing dog box like the Jerico 4 or 5 speed, G Force T101A, EMCO or similar.

With the torque of a good small block chevy or ford road race motor, really all you neeed is a road race geared Jerico 4 speed.

We buy these from Nascar teams, fresh rebuilt with billet shifters for about $ 3000.

We typically gear them something like 1.87, 1.51, 1.21, 1.0........ so it is similar to having a 5 speed, just no first gear. We use first gear on track in the slowest corners.
Thanks Bosco022. I'm no expert, but I had wondered about a Tremec myself.

Any chance you could PM me with a few details of who you contact in the teams etc, or even where one muight obtain a Tremec?? We're over in Europe remember, so not quite so familiar with all your facilities in the US.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Flash68
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from the Tremec TKO 600 -- it is not a good track trans... esp if you are shifting above 6500... that trans is a street trans plain and simple. I've had one in past and know too many people who wish they'd done something else, or switched to a Magnum T56 at least.

I have a T101A behind my SBC 377 and these can be had for $1800-2200 all day long in a variety of gear ratios from Nascar parts resellers. I got mine for $1800 -- fresh -- from a guy on Craigslist in Kentucky last year. But I was also close to purchasing from "raceprovenparts" on ebay. He generally has T101A's available.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The T101A is a fine tranny, if you get the true road race geared versions they usually cost about 3K. The circle track versions, which can still be effective for road racing are as flash stated around 2K. We like the tight gearing of the road race versions in our applications.

You can find circle track versions with gearing something like 2:43, 1:75, 1:30. 1:1 and that will work just fine in a torquey motor. Not optimal though.

Raceprovenparts, circle track warehouse, muscle motorsports, Roush Yates and other nascar country parts houses usually have these.

If you can spend a little more, get the true road race geared version
Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Flash68
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
The T101A is a fine tranny, if you get the true road race geared versions they usually cost about 3K. The circle track versions, which can still be effective for road racing are as flash stated around 2K. We like the tight gearing of the road race versions in our applications.

You can find circle track versions with gearing something like 2:43, 1:75, 1:30. 1:1 and that will work just fine in a torquey motor. Not optimal though.

Raceprovenparts, circle track warehouse, muscle motorsports, Roush Yates and other nascar country parts houses usually have these.

If you can spend a little more, get the true road race geared version
I have the close ratio 2nd thru 4th with a 2.26 first. I love it since I drive mine on the street occasionally and autoX. My 2-4 is 1.54, 1.29, 1.0 -- very nice I think for most road courses.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info chaps!

I've passed it all on, and in the meantime had a look at the sites for the vendors mentioned. Depending on my buddies budget, I can't imagine he'll have any difficulty finding something to suit!

Get notified of new replies

To Borg Waner T5 box on a Chevy Small Block

Quick Reply: Borg Waner T5 box on a Chevy Small Block