Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Oil analysis question???

I just had an oil analysis done by Blackstone on my LS3 and everything looked pretty good...But I have two questions. First, my aluminum is a little high (11 vs. universal average of 8) I assume that this is from piston wear. Is this anything to worry about? 2) Magnesium is high (650 vs 123 universal average. What engine wear items are magnesium? Is this anythig to wory about?

Thanks for the help.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 02-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Charley, Blackstone has a lot of information on their web site.
the aluminium wear is averaged over all the similar engines they test so if it was out of range they will point it out to you.
The magnesium is most likeky an additive in your oil and would vary depending which oil you use
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I just had an oil analysis done by Blackstone on my LS# and everything looked pretty good...But I have two questions. First, my aluminum is a little high (11 vs. universal average of 8) I assume that this is from piston wear. Is this anything to worry about? 2) Magnesium is high (650 vs 123 universal average. What engine wear items are magnesium? Is this anythig to wory about?

Thanks for the help.

Charley
Charley

I just got my kit. How long did it take to get the results back??

Did you follow their instructions for obtaining the sample ??

When are we going to see you at the Corvette Challenge

DH
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Charley

I just got my kit. How long did it take to get the results back??

Did you follow their instructions for obtaining the sample ??

When are we going to see you at the Corvette Challenge

DH
Yes, I followed the instructions. I mailed it out on Monday and got the email results yesterday. I will be back out on the track soon. My HANS should be here any day

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 02-17-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Yes, I followed the instructions. I mailed it out on Monday and got the email results yesterday. I will be back out on the track soon. My HANS should be here any day
Wow thats pretty damn fast. Did you do the TBN ??

DH
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had an oil analysis done by Blackstone on my LS# and everything looked pretty good...But I have two questions. First, my aluminum is a little high (11 vs. universal average of 8) I assume that this is from piston wear. Is this anything to worry about? 2) Magnesium is high (650 vs 123 universal average. What engine wear items are magnesium? Is this anythig to wory about?

Thanks for the help.

Charley
Hi Charley, I did a Blackstone analysis as well after 4k miles and 5 track days on my C5 Z06.

My aluminum was 6 vs an avg of 5

Magnesium was 207 vs an average of 134

Here was the text recap:

"You mentioned that this engine sees track use and any time we see that, we expect to see metals reading higher
than average. The averages displayed on the right show normal wear for mostly street-use LS-6 engine after about
4,000 miles on the oil. After a shorter oil run, metals are a little higher, but nothing stands out as an obvious problem,
especially since hard use applies. At this point, just monitoring is suggested as we should know more with trends.

I will send in again after similar use and see if any negative trends are occurring.

Prior to any track use, I installed a DRM stand alone oil cooler, so oil temps have never been above 260 degrees. That is why I waited till after 5 Track Days to change / analyze.

Ed
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by doveboat
Hi Charley, I did a Blackstone analysis as well after 4k miles and 5 track days on my C5 Z06.

My aluminum was 6 vs an avg of 5

Magnesium was 207 vs an average of 134

Here was the text recap:

"You mentioned that this engine sees track use and any time we see that, we expect to see metals reading higher
than average. The averages displayed on the right show normal wear for mostly street-use LS-6 engine after about
4,000 miles on the oil. After a shorter oil run, metals are a little higher, but nothing stands out as an obvious problem,
especially since hard use applies. At this point, just monitoring is suggested as we should know more with trends.

I will send in again after similar use and see if any negative trends are occurring.

Prior to any track use, I installed a DRM stand alone oil cooler, so oil temps have never been above 260 degrees. That is why I waited till after 5 Track Days to change / analyze.

Ed
Thanks Ed. I got a similar statement on my report...but, on mine they only talked about the aluminum and didn't mention the magnesium. I have an email in to them asking about the magnesium....I can't think of anything in these engines that is made of magnesum....
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Thanks Ed. I got a similar statement on my report...but, on mine they only talked about the aluminum and didn't mention the magnesium. I have an email in to them asking about the magnesium....I can't think of anything in these engines that is made of magnesum....
Keep me posted on there reply, will be interesting to see the trends based on our type usage.

Ed
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Keep me posted on there reply, will be interesting to see the trends based on our type usage.

Ed
You guys do have different motors !!

Are you using the same oil ??

DH
Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
You guys do have different motors !!

Are you using the same oil ??

DH
Mobil 1 5w/30 for me, and it is a C5 Z06 Race Car you know .....

Ed
Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Mobil 1 5w/30 for me, and it is a C5 Z06 Race Car you know .....

Ed
I know you have a race car Ed. Frank is the one that doesn't know that ............

Just saying the motors are different. It may make a difference in comparing your two oil samples.

DH
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when mine was done they told me 5,000 miles between oil changes. all my miles were track only miles when they tested it.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil analysis question???

Quick Reply: Oil analysis question???