Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter safety equipment for track days, and HANS device..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default Starter safety equipment for track days, and HANS device..

I will be attending quite a few (road course) track days this season, and started thinking perhaps I should buy a better helmet (to replace my cheap $70 open-face helmet), and even buy a HANS device.

Does anyone have experience using HANS device? Would you recommend any brand or place to buy it? I remember seeing two different brands, and was told the one whose brand is not literally "HANS device" is more comfortable and just as effective.

On a broader question, how and in what order would you start investing in terms of safety equipment? I was thinking: good helmet first, then fire extinguisher, HANS device, gloves, and finally suit.

FYI, I do not intend to modify the car (like roll cage, etc.).
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
I will be attending quite a few (road course) track days this season, and started thinking perhaps I should buy a better helmet (to replace my cheap $70 open-face helmet), and even buy a HANS device.

Does anyone have experience using HANS device? Would you recommend any brand or place to buy it? I remember seeing two different brands, and was told the one whose brand is not literally "HANS device" is more comfortable and just as effective.

On a broader question, how and in what order would you start investing in terms of safety equipment? I was thinking: good helmet first, then fire extinguisher, HANS device, gloves, and finally suit.

FYI, I do not intend to modify the car (like roll cage, etc.).
If you are not putting in a full harness 5 or 6 point and are just using factory seat belts HANS is not needed.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
If you are not putting in a full harness 5 or 6 point and are just using factory seat belts HANS is not needed.
I am not putting in full harness or racing seat belts; so do you mean if I don't have them, since my body moves more freely, I wouldn't need or benefit HANS anyway?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Hans requires a harness and a minimum of a bar to attach the sholder straps also the belts should pass through the seat back and over your shoulders, so to do it properly you need a harness both driver and passenger (for the instructor) attaching points for the belts and seats.
your stock belts and air bag will give you 99% of the protection just make sure to cinch your belts before hitting the track
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Driving ludicrous speed requires a helmet.
A helmet requires a HANS.
A HANS requires 5or6 pt belts.
5 or 6 pt belts require an anchoring system (harness bar at minimum) and seat made to work with them.

It all has to be there to work together. It doesn't work in bits and pieces.

The harness bar can be installed with very little if any interior modification, and good seat can be swapped in and out for track days. Walls hurt and they don't care if you are racing at 150mph or just in HPDE and going 150mph, physics is physics.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

SA 2010 Helmet a must. You'll find them from around 300.00 on up.

HANS can wait till you get the proper seat, harness bar and belts.

And don't skimp on the seat mounts. Solid fixed are best.

Have fun
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am not putting in full harness or racing seat belts; so do you mean if I don't have them, since my body moves more freely, I wouldn't need or benefit HANS anyway?
Correct

To use a HANS device one needs full 6 point harness, and a race seat. Plus harness bar or Roll cage. For the harness and HANS to work.

and YES get a SA2010 FULL FACE helmet.
Open helmets are really not a good idea. One still can get bugs into your teeth or things bouncing into your drivers side window and hit your face. I had a mirror glass bounce into my drivers side window and bounce off my chin gard a few years ago.

Even some of the other neck protection products need a 6 point harness system and Race seats to work

Good Luck
Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

BEZ06 suggested the following at another thread, looks promising:

Originally Posted by BEZ06
As has been mentioned - you need a harness to use a HANS.

HOWEVER - I have an R3 Rage:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAT-R3R-MED-10/

You can see that you strap it to your body, so it works with any seat belt system, including the OE 3-point belt.

It's a really good solution for instructors who want head-n-neck support and ride in many different student's cars that only have the stock belts.
I ended up ordering HJC AR10 II, which is SA2010 approved. I'll also check out this device above, and I might get it, too as an interim solution
Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the R3 rage is an excellent choice for regular belts (and you can keep it if you get harnesses).
Yes on a full-face SA2010. Try them on. I like the AR10 II (after ordering/returning 4 other versions), but it all depends on your head shape.

You can't really do this in piece-meal, so here is your list:

1. Seat - deep, full sides (some guys like the aluminum ones, I have a Cobra Suzuka - $875)
2. Seat mounts
3. Harness bar
4. Harnesses (I like the Shroth Profi II - 2" belts are better than 3") (be sure to install per mfg's directions which may include some new holes for the sub anchor bolts in order to get the proper angle).
5. Helmet
6. head and neck restraint

Do them all at once. The only other thing you should spend money on (for at least a little while) are brake pads, fluid, gas, tires and entry fees.

Even with street tires, a corvette is dangerous/uncomfortable to drive hard around a track w/o a seat as you will be holding yourself in place with your arms (to keep from getting tossed around) while trying to do delicate steering inputs and sometimes doing this with one hand if you shift. Not that fun or safe.
Getting all of the above makes the car much more enjoyable and you are a bit safer.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Yes, the R3 rage is an excellent choice for regular belts (and you can keep it if you get harnesses).
Yes on a full-face SA2010. Try them on. I like the AR10 II (after ordering/returning 4 other versions), but it all depends on your head shape.

You can't really do this in piece-meal, so here is your list:

1. Seat - deep, full sides (some guys like the aluminum ones, I have a Cobra Suzuka - $875)
2. Seat mounts
3. Harness bar
4. Harnesses (I like the Shroth Profi II - 2" belts are better than 3") (be sure to install per mfg's directions which may include some new holes for the sub anchor bolts in order to get the proper angle).
5. Helmet
6. head and neck restraint

Do them all at once. The only other thing you should spend money on (for at least a little while) are brake pads, fluid, gas, tires and entry fees.

Even with street tires, a corvette is dangerous/uncomfortable to drive hard around a track w/o a seat as you will be holding yourself in place with your arms (to keep from getting tossed around) while trying to do delicate steering inputs and sometimes doing this with one hand if you shift. Not that fun or safe.
Getting all of the above makes the car much more enjoyable and you are a bit safer.
I agree with this. The reality of the situation is that these cars are faster then many full race cars, and even if you think you are driving conservatively things happen. Without the proper safety equipment you are taking quite a large risk. Most people convince themselves that that these safety items are not needed because they are not racing and they buy them one piece at a time. Just be very careful....Parts do brake, and others do cause accidents that may affect you. Invest as much as you can, as soon as you can in good safety equipment. This is a fun, but dangerous sport.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I agree with this. The reality of the situation is that these cars are faster then many full race cars, and even if you think you are driving conservatively things happen. Without the proper safety equipment you are taking quite a large risk. Most people convince themselves that that these safety items are not needed because they are not racing and they buy them one piece at a time. Just be very careful....Parts do brake, and others do cause accidents that may affect you. Invest as much as you can, as soon as you can in good safety equipment. This is a fun, but dangerous sport.
I agree stuff breaks. That's how I've ended up in the wall before. But the statement that 2" wide harness belts are better is incorrect. 2" wide belts put the same force on 2/3 of the area of your body, resulting in a greater chance of injury compared to a 3" wide belt. Most racing rules only allow a 2" belt on the shoulder harness IF a HANS is being used because the device distributes the load. 2" wide belts may be easier to deal with, but are not as safe as 3" belts.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
I agree stuff breaks. That's how I've ended up in the wall before. But the statement that 2" wide harness belts are better is incorrect. 2" wide belts put the same force on 2/3 of the area of your body, resulting in a greater chance of injury compared to a 3" wide belt. Most racing rules only allow a 2" belt on the shoulder harness IF a HANS is being used because the device distributes the load. 2" wide belts may be easier to deal with, but are not as safe as 3" belts.
I am not the expert here on Harnesses...but, Scroth does a good job of explaining that a 2" waist belt can be more effective than a 3". It is unintuative...but, they convinced me and I walked out of the store with a 2". Check out their website.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 02-18-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I am not the expert here on Harnesses...but, the Scroth does a good job of explaining that a 2" waist belt being more effective than a 3". It is unintuative...but, they convinced me and I walked out of the store with a 2". Check out their website.
Charley, good point and well taken. I would say that I feel that a 3" lap belt fits me better than a 2". It's likely an individual thing. So my statement that it was incorrect that 2" was better was incorrect as a generalization. What I should have was that a 3" Shoulder belt is better.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

BEZ06 suggested the following at another thread, looks promising:

I ended up ordering HJC AR10 II, which is SA2010 approved. I'll also check out this device above, and I might get it, too as an interim solution
This is what I bought. Tried it on at the ARI show in Orlando and it was really comfortable. IMO this is better than a HANS and I've used one for years simply because I can wear it when I'm instructing my students with the regular seatbelts.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you care deeply about your Illiac crest and/or internal organs, get the 2" version. The FIA agreed and approved these.

http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Engineering

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up ordering the R3 Rage, the one that works without a racing harness. While at it, I ordered race driving gloves (Alpinestars Tech 1 Z race gloves), too. Oh well, I really hope this concludes my safety equipment investment since I'm still yet to deal with the track day insurance and it sounds pricey! : (

Get notified of new replies

To Starter safety equipment for track days, and HANS device..

Quick Reply: Starter safety equipment for track days, and HANS device..