Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle nut question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Axle nut question.

What are you guys torqueing to? Loctite or no. Color? Nordlock?

This may not be the same as what the FSM says & I am ok with that.

I just got thru reading a loooong thread about c6 nuts.

Phew.

This is for my c5z, so the tq may be different.

Thanks.

Another question will the knuckle pull off the splines easy or hard?

If hard, how do I persuade it off?

This is to do my studs.

THX

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear axle nut is 118 lb ft and I use red loctite. Not sure if I should, but since the tend to work loose I figured why not.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've always used new axle nuts, available from your friendly neighborhood GM dealer. and NO loctite.

You may need to "persuade" the knuckle off the splines. Probably not proper, but I've used a block of wood and trusty 2 1/2 lb. hammer just enough to break it loose. (didn't take much)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Nord-Locks are the easiest and the best!

Jim
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I tq to whatever David Farmer's tq sheet says.
The tq is not super high tq like in some other rwd cars (S2000 is 240lb/ft) as it does not tension the bearing.
I've never had a problem and I track my car a lot.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Lube the splines going together?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I use Redline stuff, but I am sure that other high pressure/temp grease would work as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Only problem I've had was finding a nut under torqued from the factory on a C6 Z06.

But that wasn't the only bolt/nut we found loose from the factory. So bolt check EVERY car before taking it on track.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I went with loctite, but wish Id have gone with the nordlocks. You dont have to deal with the 24 hour wait of the loctite, and they are reusable.

the only downside Ive seen to the nordlocks is the fact that no fastener stores ever have the large ones in stock so you end up having to wait for them to order a set, or get them online.

also if you decide to replace the axle nuts, you should be able to find them at a local autozone instead of having to drive all the way to the dealership.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by froggy47
Lube the splines going together?
When I had to replace the rear hub on the Wife's 04 I spread a little anti-sieze on the splines of the axle. Torqued the nut to spec and checked it again a week later.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love learning stuff here

Never heard of the Nord-Locks before. That looks like a winner.

What I did was to double nut. Torque the second nut significantly less than the first nut so they don't jam together when you remove or they will screw up the threads on the shaft. Good use of those old nuts if you like to buy new.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
What I did was to double nut. Torque the second nut significantly less than the first nut so they don't jam together when you remove or they will screw up the threads on the shaft. Good use of those old nuts if you like to buy new.
NO! Don't double nut. The OEM nut is not shaped properly to double nut and the first nut will be encouraged to come off. That is a big nut and I don't want to be behind you on the race track at 150mph with a 1 ounce missile coming at me.

This is a racing forum. If people are concerned with this then drill the axle and pin it. That nut in not under lots of force and even if off you can't get the axle out. The axle will only make noise slopping back and forth.

Froggy no persuation is needed the axle will slide right out. Take the upper ball joint and tierod off and the axle nut and the axle will slide right out. Take the lower BJ out to take the knucle out so you can remove the hub. I do not know why GM did it but the hub is in with T55 torx head bolts. I would switch to just plain 10.9 grade hex head bots so you can do it trackside without trying to find weird sized tools. Some like nordlocks here to but I have never needed that if torqued to spec with 271 locktite.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
NO! Don't double nut. The OEM nut is not shaped properly to double nut and the first nut will be encouraged to come off. That is a big nut and I don't want to be behind you on the race track at 150mph with a 1 ounce missile coming at me.

This is a racing forum. If people are concerned with this then drill the axle and pin it. That nut in not under lots of force and even if off you can't get the axle out. The axle will only make noise slopping back and forth.

Froggy no persuation is needed the axle will slide right out. Take the upper ball joint and tierod off and the axle nut and the axle will slide right out. Take the lower BJ out to take the knucle out so you can remove the hub. I do not know why GM did it but the hub is in with T55 torx head bolts. I would switch to just plain 10.9 grade hex head bots so you can do it trackside without trying to find weird sized tools. Some like nordlocks here to but I have never needed that if torqued to spec with 271 locktite.
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

then drill the axle and pin it. That nut in not under lots of force and even if off you can't get the axle out.
That is a good idea!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

True to all accounts and to the recommendations!

In addition to double nutting, in terms of practicality for this case, even if the head of the first nut is machined off to provide more contact area for jamming, it is rather difficult to hold the first nut in position after it is torqued and to torque the second nut properly within the hub. Just snugging down the second nut will not be able to provide the proper stretched tension for proper retention of the first nut.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are probably right, but I've put over 10,000 miles on my double nut job with no issues. YMMV
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

He said double nut job. hehe
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmm. I've always just used my impact gun, no lordlocks, anti-seize etc..
Never really checked the torque on it, but I've never had a problem.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I'm thinking this is really a non problem, that folks who thought it held the wheel on came up with (at least on c5's).

Dunno on c6's.

Get notified of new replies

To Axle nut question.

Quick Reply: Axle nut question.