Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a 2004 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Need help with a 2004 coupe

No one in C5 tech has aparently seen this issue.
You guys tear these things apart and put them back together so often maybe ya'll can help.

2004 auto coupe keeps blowing fuel pump fuses
I pulled the battery and did not see any frayed wires there.
Replaced the relay as a precaution.
Still blows the fuse.

Any idears? Or am I at the "drop the tank" stage?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you had a print and multimeter you could check for a shorted system. Barring that unplug / isolate the pump and see if it still pops the fuse.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a common problem. The wires run under the fuel filler on the drivers side and across the frame. They short where it rubs on the frame. Just follow the wires up from the drivers side fuel tank and you will find the short.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by geerookie
It's a common problem. The wires run under the fuel filler on the drivers side and across the frame. They short where it rubs on the frame. Just follow the wires up from the drivers side fuel tank and you will find the short.
You get the kwepie doll!!!!!
Took the driver rear tire off, then the inner fender liner and with a bit of wiggiling and contortioning I was able to pull the wires to where I could work around them.
Didn't see an obvious brake in the fuel pump wire insulation, but used copius amounts of electrical tape and wrapped that wire seperate and it works.

Wife is now estatic, she was just going to drive it around the neighborhood and be back in 5 min. 20 min later I called her and she was 10 miles from home :d
I predict the Tahoe will now be the third vehicle and not get driven much. For her commute the Corvette gets a little better mileage.

And I've learned my lesson. ANY issues with her car I'm asking here first.
C5 Tech is now useless to me
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaa1992
You get the kwepie doll!!!!!
Took the driver rear tire off, then the inner fender liner and with a bit of wiggiling and contortioning I was able to pull the wires to where I could work around them.
Didn't see an obvious brake in the fuel pump wire insulation, but used copius amounts of electrical tape and wrapped that wire seperate and it works.

Wife is now estatic, she was just going to drive it around the neighborhood and be back in 5 min. 20 min later I called her and she was 10 miles from home :d
I predict the Tahoe will now be the third vehicle and not get driven much. For her commute the Corvette gets a little better mileage.

And I've learned my lesson. ANY issues with her car I'm asking here first.
I'll pass on the doll but thanks for the offer

Now you should have enough bonus points with the other half that you can buy yourself some new toys
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by geerookie
I'll pass on the doll but thanks for the offer

Now you should have enough bonus points with the other half that you can buy yourself some new toys
I'm saving up the points for track time
I should have my 383 done by mar 10, mechanic will have a week to get it in the car and then I'll be ready for event 1 - either AMP the end of March or Roebling in April.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
You don't seem to be the best at making friends, are you? I gave you a copy of the wiring diagram for you to be able to troubleshoot the circuit. It had been mentioned that you likely had a short; finding the short in the maze that can be this car's electrical system was the problem.

Burning bridges when you may someday need help from some of the electrical geniuses in the C5 tech section like Bill Curlee or Lucky doesn't seem like a good idea; I personally tried in good faith to help you, but I guess a wiring diagram of the fuel pump circuit is 'useless,' so you'll get no further help from me.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummmmmm,maybe you should know,the fuel filter on a 2004 is INSIDE the tank,NOT on the frame.I know I wont bother to try and help you ever again!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
repman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Ummmmmm,maybe you should know,the fuel filter on a 2004 is INSIDE the tank,NOT on the frame.I know I wont bother to try and help you ever again!
He said fuel filler not filter.

I agree with the sentiment that he could show more appreciation for people trying to help.

Last edited by repman; 02-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I have tons of appreciation for the help I got from gerookie.
I reviewed the schematic, but it didn't help find where the issue was.

Gheeze, I'm just going to come here first with any of her c5 problems, thats all I said.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Just be glad you didn't have to replace the pump...that's what the problem was on mine when it was blowing fuses last year...

Of all the work I've done on corvettes over the years that was the worst...never again!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Just be glad you didn't have to replace the pump...that's what the problem was on mine when it was blowing fuses last year...

Of all the work I've done on corvettes over the years that was the worst...never again!
Beleive me I know, read some "drop the tank" threads, for an automatic there is no way I'm going to do it in the garage.
If it gets to the fuel pump stage there is no question its going to the mechanic.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by repman
He said fuel filler not filter.

I agree with the sentiment that he could show more appreciation for people trying to help.
My bad!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with a 2004 coupe

Quick Reply: Need help with a 2004 coupe