Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Wheels or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Wheels or not?

I have orig 17/18 Z06 wheels with old tires....thinking of leaving them for putzing around town or spares.

Should I buy new rims/ used rims for track tires to mount? Thinking you guys all mentioned the Nitto NT05 for beginners would suffice, but wondered about separate wheels for track days or simply replace old tires on orig OEM rims for double duty. Or will it even matter with those nitto tires?

Could pick up aftermarket rims for approx $600 18's all around.

What say you?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

OEM Z06 wheels are probably the most popular trackday/race wheels available. They're some of the lightest and strongest wheels you'll find. Oh and they're pretty cheap when buying used sets.

Most guys buy some fancy wheels for the street then keep the OEM wheels with some good rubber for a trackday setup.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Those rims are worthless. I can pick them up from you when I come through in a few weeks.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You could just put NT05s on your Z06 rims and be done with it. But then again, NT05s are not the best rain tire, especially Florida type rain. Personally I have two sets of Z06 speedlines - one with track rubber and the other with Continental DWs - awesome street and rain tire. If you can't find or don't want a 2nd set of the speedlines, use the ones you have for the track and some aftermarket ones for DD.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Wheels !

I have a set of chrome after-market C5 Z06 wheels.
They were painted black and I have sanded them down and are ready for paint. A couple cans of spay paint should do it.

Fronts are 9.5" x 17"
Rears are 10.5" x 18"

I bought a set of wheels/ slicks so I no longer need these.

Bargain price of $300.

Roger T
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips!

Would it be better to have all the same size rim at all 4 corners so you can rotate the track tires and get more life out of them? I have seen this from a few other members as a decent track setup...just need to find 2 more rear wheels to add up front?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sheshnwoody
Thanks for the tips!

Would it be better to have all the same size rim at all 4 corners so you can rotate the track tires and get more life out of them? I have seen this from a few other members as a decent track setup...just need to find 2 more rear wheels to add up front?
It is very helpful to be able to rotate, but keep in mind you will have to run in Comp Mode or with AH/TC completely off, but after all that's why we're all out there, to learn how to drive, so the sooner you turn all that off the better anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
the sooner you turn all that off the better anyway.
The first couple years of doing HPDEs I kept comp mode on as a safety net. Eventually I realized I wasn't learning how to actually drive the car at the limit and catch slides. Finally I turned it off one day and it was like a whole new car to me. I had never realized how much the car was intervening in my driving even at a beginner level on street tires.

The best thing you can do is go to a local drift event (if you can put up with the type of people that go to those ) and learn how to slide the car around.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Wheels or not?

Quick Reply: Track Wheels or not?