Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track guys - straight vs curved rotor vanes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
vettman10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Track guys - straight vs curved rotor vanes

Has anyone noticed a difference between brake rotors with straight vanes and those with curved? A rotor with directional curved vanes will obviously run cooler as it is always pumping air through it when moving, but is it enough to make a difference in brake performance when on the track? The factory rotors on my '02 Z06 have curved vanes and so are side specific. And most standard replacement aftermarket rotors, even the popular NAPA rotors have straight vanes.

Last edited by vettman10; 02-27-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clairification
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have run multiple sets of both varieties over the past 5 years. I can't tell any difference in longevity or cooling between the two. I just go with the ones that I can find cheapest.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
vettman10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for that info. Apparantely it doesn't make much of a difference. I have noticed that the drilled and slotted factory rotors that come on some C6's (including the Z06) are all 'left side' rotors. Take a look at the orentation of the slots and drill holes, which mirror the orentation of the inner vanes. They are correct on the left but backwards on the right side. I guess they wanted to save a few bucks and only use one casting design, and/or the difference in braking performance is minimal. I bet lots of folks haven't noticed this.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

This has been talked about, do a search. Bottom line is that the amount of air pumped by a curved vane is actually less than a straight vertical vane. The curved vane has advantages in that the thermal stress situation is different, but it's probalbly not a big advantage. These are actually pretty low speed compressors so it doesn't matter that much.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

It is far more important to get forced cool air through the vanes that how the vanes are configured.

Jim
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettman10
. . .Take a look at the orentation of the slots and drill holes, which mirror the orentation of the inner vanes. They are correct on the left but backwards on the right side. I guess they wanted to save a few bucks and only use one casting design, and/or the difference in braking performance is minimal. I bet lots of folks haven't noticed this.
That is a very interesting observation.

And I bet here's something else that lots of folks have not paid attention to: It is far (FAR!) more important to run the rotor that is lightest weight, rather than worrying about curved or straight vanes.

Ed
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering

And I bet here's something else that lots of folks have not paid attention to: It is far (FAR!) more important to run the rotor that is lightest weight, rather than worrying about curved or straight vanes.

Ed

These are nice rotors that are very light.

http://shop.performanceafx.com/Brakes_c2.htm
Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
It is far more important to get forced cool air through the vanes that how the vanes are configured.

Jim
This...

If your worried about "hardcore" cooling. Your air flow should be going from the inside of the rotor and blowing out the outside of the rotor via spindle ducts and duct work.

curved or straight vanes wont show any diffrence in cooling at all if no air is forced through them.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering

Ed
The directional vanes in the C6 rotors have been talked about quite a bit. Some people say it makes a difference but I never noticed any difference and when you read info that came out of GM;s testing at the Ring it looks like their instrumented testing didn't show any differences either. The C6 Z06 rear rotors are straight and they front rotors are just curved in one direction. It seems like the curved vanes would act like a turbine and help move air through the rotor but there may be a much greater contribution to air flow due to the heat of the rotor causing air to expand and thus getting a pressure differential from the center of the rotor where the air is cooler to the outside where it is hotter. The curved vanes may serve no greater purpose than increasing the cooling surface area since the vanes are longer.

Bill
Old 08-16-2023, 10:46 PM
frcc
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without real data it's really hard to say which rotor design is best.
See this: the author used computational fluid dynamics to see which of pillar, straight, forward or backward curved vane designs work best. It really is a complex matter and the results are somewhat surprising. Even more analysis and real life testing would be required before reaching a final conclusion.

https://waveydynamics.medium.com/com...r-970008425ccd
Old 08-17-2023, 02:06 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

thats interesting. a fact to consider is that he disregards conducton and radiation heat fluxes, that together usually equal the convection flux for most rotors.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:12 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 695 Likes on 443 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by frcc
Without real data it's really hard to say which rotor design is best.
See this: the author used computational fluid dynamics to see which of pillar, straight, forward or backward curved vane designs work best. It really is a complex matter and the results are somewhat surprising. Even more analysis and real life testing would be required before reaching a final conclusion.

https://waveydynamics.medium.com/com...r-970008425ccd
fascinating article...and quite unexpected conclusion. thanks for sharing.
Frankly, I've always shied away from the 'kangaroo paw' pillar vane rotors because i presumed they wouldn't pump as much air through them, and because apples to apples they were often heavier than the directional, curved vane rotors that i prefer....although that usually means they're a larger heat sink.
Lots of food for thought here, and while some of it may be splitting hairs, or inconclusive, its a good for argument for trying the inexpensive DBA rotors instead of necessarily upgrading to an alternate 2pc directional radial design

Still...can't help but wonder how all the leading aftermarket racing brake manufacturers don't go in this direction for their iron discs

Get notified of new replies

To Track guys - straight vs curved rotor vanes

Quick Reply: Track guys - straight vs curved rotor vanes