Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidance on selecting the proper rod ends and suspension tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Guidance on selecting the proper rod ends and suspension tubes?

I've been looking at all the kits offered to convert suspension components (tie rods, camber/LCA, trailing arms) for the C4 to a rod end setup and I'm looking for some guidance on selecting the right strength components. I'm not an ME so bear with me here. It seems like the kits are offered with either aluminum (most) or steel threaded suspension tubes. Stock is forged aluminum.

And the right size rod ends range from 7-8,000lb radial load ratings to 21,000 lb radial loads. Aurora says that max axial loads will be 15% (2-piece) or 10% (3-piece) of radial. These pieces will almost entirely be installed with no misalignment.

So, how do you go about figuring what bearing you should be spec'ing? I get the "buy the best you can afford" approach but I want to know what I can afford is not inherently dangerous. I believe manufacturers are putting out bearings that fill the entire load spectrum I listed before so one could assume even the low end meets the demand however I'd still like to have an idea of if this is just passing or robust.

Obviously, any help is appreciated and I'm interested in just learning more about this.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
I've been looking at all the kits offered to convert suspension components (tie rods, camber/LCA, trailing arms) for the C4 to a rod end setup and I'm looking for some guidance on selecting the right strength components. I'm not an ME so bear with me here. It seems like the kits are offered with either aluminum (most) or steel threaded suspension tubes. Stock is forged aluminum.

And the right size rod ends range from 7-8,000lb radial load ratings to 21,000 lb radial loads. Aurora says that max axial loads will be 15% (2-piece) or 10% (3-piece) of radial. These pieces will almost entirely be installed with no misalignment.

So, how do you go about figuring what bearing you should be spec'ing? I get the "buy the best you can afford" approach but I want to know what I can afford is not inherently dangerous. I believe manufacturers are putting out bearings that fill the entire load spectrum I listed before so one could assume even the low end meets the demand however I'd still like to have an idea of if this is just passing or robust.

Obviously, any help is appreciated and I'm interested in just learning more about this.

Thanks
There are several good threads on this. The latest ones I have ready to install are QA1. Aurora may be the best at 4x the price. I would stay away from most of the rest. I have got some brand new low cost ends that were loose out of the box. Lot of crap out there. 3-piece are better in my experience. Tighter tolerances.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I didn't see that many threads on calculating load required. I'll try to search more. I did see one post by SoloFast but of course I can't find it now...

I did see this thread of yours:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...he-others.html

Were those the FK CMX that had to go back?

What series are the qa1s you have now?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I got XMR10 rod end x endura alloy ht

Endura is their race car series.

Call them 952-985-5675

This is for tie rod ends.

Stay away from the 2 piece (Mohawk) style.

IIRC about 20-25 each.

Get notified of new replies

To Guidance on selecting the proper rod ends and suspension tubes?

Quick Reply: Guidance on selecting the proper rod ends and suspension tubes?