Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-1 less than 5 days!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default F-1 less than 5 days!

Can't wait for this season! Looks like Ferrari is still struggling from testing.

Rubens will be fun in IRL to watch.

Less down-force they say. Any thoughts on this coming season?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 I'm looking forward to the F1 season as well as Rolex, Continental and American LeMans.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

One Word................"Vettel"
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the season looks to be interesting once more...

McLaren looks to have a good foundation to build from. Red Bull is again looking strong. Mercedes had some good testing times...

I'm just hoping they have closer racing this year. When Sebastian rockets off into the lead and gets a 2-second gap in the first lap and builds from there...it gets a little boring. You almost know who will win...and you end up rooting for second & third place.

I like it when the championship comes down to the last few races of the season...even better when it comes down to the final round. Keeps everyone interested in it then
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

although rear downforce has been decreased due to off-throttle blowing and throttle position regulation changes, overall grip is comparable to last year due to the changes at Pirelli with shoulder construction and softer compounds

2011 Jerez Testing
2012 Jerez Testing

You can see the times in 2012 testing were faster than 2011, although the 2011 spec W02 chassis was the fastest (still with a exhaust blown diffuser)

the midfield is going to be incredibly interesting. Lotus looked strong in the early tests, I really wish they had been able to debut the anti-dive hydraulic device they were developing as they could have put up an even strong fight to RBR and McLaren.

The b-spec package on the RB8 looks very sauber-esque, and I would expect Sauber to have one of the stronger aero setups of the midfield

I believe it is Vettel's championship to lose, but the racing should be fantastic this year, looking forward to it quite a bit
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
One Word................"Vettel"
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see it live in Austin, TX!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm curious what y'all think about the actual info we get from winter testing. With as much control the teams have over the cars now, I think they could get good testing data and sandbag at the same time. For example, rev limit the engines by a small amount, hurts your top end speed stats for each gear, but the teams can couple that with engine dyno and wind testing results to get a good idea what full on race performance should be like.

Not saying that's a valid example, just wondering how much to read into winter testing.

In any case, I'm glad to see F1 start back up!

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

They still need to ditch the DRS.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am ready for it to start!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Bakerking31
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I'm curious what y'all think about the actual info we get from winter testing. With as much control the teams have over the cars now, I think they could get good testing data and sandbag at the same time. For example, rev limit the engines by a small amount, hurts your top end speed stats for each gear, but the teams can couple that with engine dyno and wind testing results to get a good idea what full on race performance should be like.

Not saying that's a valid example, just wondering how much to read into winter testing.

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
I take all the testing results with a very large grain of salt, the real winners in testing are the teams that can get through their program and identify as many problems as possible to correct them. I dont think any of the teams have shown their real speed nor will they until MAYBE Practice 3 but more likely qualifying.

I am really looking forward to seeing Kimi back on the track and in a decent car too. I am hoping the Mercedes will be more competitive so I can see Michael back on the podium again.

The one thing that worries me about F1 this year is that BBC isn't covering all the races, some are being covered by SKY sports. I just hope SKY sports covers F1 similar to BBC and not like SPEED does in the US because I just plain cant watch it on speed, the announcers dont have a clue what they are talking about and manage to make the whole season boring as hell.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
I take all the testing results with a very large grain of salt, the real winners in testing are the teams that can get through their program and identify as many problems as possible to correct them. I dont think any of the teams have shown their real speed nor will they until MAYBE Practice 3 but more likely qualifying.

I am really looking forward to seeing Kimi back on the track and in a decent car too. I am hoping the Mercedes will be more competitive so I can see Michael back on the podium again.

The one thing that worries me about F1 this year is that BBC isn't covering all the races, some are being covered by SKY sports. I just hope SKY sports covers F1 similar to BBC and not like SPEED does in the US because I just plain cant watch it on speed, the announcers dont have a clue what they are talking about and manage to make the whole season boring as hell.

Hobbs & Matchett have forgotten more about racing & F1 than many people will ever know. Hobbs actually RACED the cars and Matchett wrenched for the likes of Michael Schumacher, Nelson Piquet; Riccardo Patrese; Martin Brundle; Johnny Herbert; Gerhard Berger and Jean Alesi...all has beens & losers

Varsha has been doing racing commentary since 1980 and was actually AT the Dallas GP broadcasting the F1 event in '84...

Saying they don't know what they are talking about is plain wrong...they KNOW plenty.

Just say YOU don't LIKE them and get over it...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I love Varsha/Hobbs/Matchet

This year should be pretty awesome. Lots to talked about
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

After all these years and everything Matchet has seen, he's still like a kid in a candy store when there is a new technical innovation. Read his Mechanics Tales this off season. Just an amazing trip from mechanic school grease monkey to F1 World Champion.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone have a link to the TV coverage schedule. Are the races covered live or is there a time delay like some other race series where you wait a week or two + to watch?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Live, in the middle of the night. DVR is your friend.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

finally!

it will be nice to see something other than nascar on speed...

Get notified of new replies

To F-1 less than 5 days!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I love Varsha/Hobbs/Matchet

This year should be pretty awesome. Lots to talked about
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Originally Posted by 1991Z07

Hobbs & Matchett have forgotten more about racing & F1 than many people will ever know. Hobbs actually RACED the cars and Matchett wrenched for the likes of Michael Schumacher, Nelson Piquet; Riccardo Patrese; Martin Brundle; Johnny Herbert; Gerhard Berger and Jean Alesi...all has beens & losers

Varsha has been doing racing commentary since 1980 and was actually AT the Dallas GP broadcasting the F1 event in '84...

Saying they don't know what they are talking about is plain wrong...they KNOW plenty.

Just say YOU don't LIKE them and get over it...
your right I dont like them.

Hobbs hasnt raced in f1 in almost 40 years and I dont believe he ever scored any points (might be wrong) ... I wouldnt consider that any relevant experience. They might know plenty about F1 30-40 years ago but compared to the bbc coverage they are extremely lacking.

Like you said they all have experience but its from 30 years ago, they make the sport incredibly boring to watch. BBC on the other hand ... much more entertaining.

Either way I love the sport I just hate the Speed coverage.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
Mike, the only worthwhile data point regarding this year's performance from winter testing is time degradation over a long run. All of the teams use sound analysis to gauge how much fuel each other are running, and as you said with electronic throttles it is VERY easy to sandbag, but most guys are focused on setup work, so they want the car on the limit as well.

There are some good sites out there who have listed long run pace of the cars through the tests, it looks like (roughly) into these tiers:

RBR, McL
Merc, Ferrari, Lotus
SFI, Sauber, STR
Williams, Caterham
Marussia, HRT

No huge jumps from 2011, although it appears Merc has outperformed Ferrari and Lotus has closed the gap in the 2nd tier as well. The Merc is still suffering from rear tire deg on long runs, but the Ferrari is VERY setup sensitive and also struggles with rear tire temperature

The 5-way battle from SFI down to Caterham will be fantastic.

For the record, I also recently made the switch to BBC Sport coverage from SPEED and thought the coverage is improved, although the budget is easily 10x that of SPEED, so it should be better. (not a knock on Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs)

Quick Reply: F-1 less than 5 days!