Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic differences between t1, t2, st1 and st2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default Basic differences between t1, t2, st1 and st2?

I would really like a quck summary of the differences between these classes if someone has the time. Thanks Jerry
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Nasa ST1 is 5.5/1 weight to power ratio... SCCA STO cars fit in here
Nasa ST2 is 8.7/1 weight to power ratio... SCCA T1 cars fit in here

Both of these classes are pretty open as far as modifications that you can have on the car. Most of the top cars in these classes have full aero. Many cars in ST2 started out life as a T1 car.

SCCA T1 is a more strict class that pits similar powered cars against one another and modifications are only allowed as to what SCCA says you can do. Brakes, headers, shocks are all open now but you still have to run T1 springs and swaybars (as far as I know, someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). Typical cars in this class are C5 and C6 corvettes, Vipers.

SCCA T2 is alot like T1, just different set of cars to play with.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 03-12-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Aren't SCCA T1 cars required to have a dash?

Whereas NASA ST2 cars can be completely stripped?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Aren't SCCA T1 cars required to have a dash?

Whereas NASA ST2 cars can be completely stripped?

Correct.

T1, T2 and T3 cars are incredibly equal, although there is alway a lot of grousing about a given cars competitiveness... usually by the owner of that model. I find SCCA does a really great job of this although this is the main source of angst for a few drivers in the club. I think the vast majority are pretty happy with is all and they just want to race. I can say that with personal experience on the west coast. We have great racing between C5s and C6s. So far this year in five national races the C5s have won three times and the C6 twice.

The main source of the angst is mainly with Runoffs drivers. Road America so much rewards power and low coefficient of drag that the C6 our peforms the C5 there... at least that is common belief and it may well be true. Then the Viper and the Ferrari 430 were kicking but a couple years prior. The CRB work very hard, and under constant criticism, to try and balance out the cars. I would never want to serve on the competition review board.

I race both SCCA and NASA. Both are great, but I gotta' say when 10 C5s and C6s line up at the front of a touring grid it makes for some great racing, aka Spec V8 Miata time.

Oli
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

How about GT-1, Jerry?

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
How about GT-1, Jerry?

Jim

I would love to race GT1, but I want my life simpler and low maintenance on the car. That is why I prefer T1. All the mods are basically spec'ed out for the most part, not totally, but within reason.

T1 is simpler for me. I would rather drive than tinker with the car. I don't want to spend my track day testing and finding out which wing is faster, what cam to use, what coil-over to install, etc. Just get out of my way and let me drive.....

Oli
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I don't want to spend my track day testing and finding out which wing is faster, what cam to use, what coil-over to install, etc. Just get out of my way and let me drive.....
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I am thinking about running an SCCA event in a couple weeks at Memphis. I can't run in T1 because of aero, coilovers etc. STO as mentioned earlier is close to ST1, don't have the power for STO. So what research I have done it looks like it will be ITM (Improved Touring Memphis). It is from what I am being told is kind of a catch all class if your car really doesn't fit into any other class. Here is a short description;

Improved Touring Memphis (ITM) Rules for Regional Class Purpose: To permit race prepared, production based automobiles that are not eligible for any current SCCA Regional class, to compete as Improved Touring (IT) class cars in regional races sanctioned by the Mid South Region, SCCA, at Memphis International Raceway only. ITM classed cars are not eligible for the Mid West Division's Mid AM or I.T. Tours Road Racing Championship Series. 1. Cars eligible for ITM are ones, which have been prepared for various racing sanctions including SCCA, PCA, BMW, IMSA, NASA, etc. 2. Any closed wheel production based car meeting the minimum safety requirements as set forth in the current year's SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) and the Improved Touring Category Specifications (ITCS) for Improved Touring automobiles is eligible to compete. This includes all items in GCR Section 9 which apply to IT cars. 3. The Chief Steward, with the advice of the Chief Scrutineer, has final word on the eligibility of any car for this class. 4. Personal safety equipment (helmet, driving suit, etc.) must meet GCR minimum specifications. 5. All drivers must hold valid SCCA competition licenses, novice permits, or competition licenses from all organizations as approved in GCR 3.1.5.C, and shall be members in good standing of the Sports Car Club of America. All entrants must be members in good standing of the Sports Car Club of America. 6. Entrants/drivers do not have to be Mid South Region members. 7. All automobiles must be painted in accordance with applicable sections of the current year's GCR and will display the required SCCA logos. Numbers and class designation will conform to GCR specifications. 8. Cars must run tires as defined in the ITCS. 9. All cars must have a current SCCA vehicle log book. All cars must pass an annual technical inspection before being allowed entry into competition. 10. All ITM cars must post a qualifying time that is within 125% of the IT qualifying average for the race that is entered. (The Chief Steward is granted the express authority to waive this requirement if doing so does not create a safety hazard.) 11. Entrants will not be guaranteed the competitiveness of any car and competition adjustments will not be made. 12. This class is established solely for the purpose of providing a competitive venue for race prepared cars that are excluded from all other SCCA and Mid West Division regional classes.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Jim hopefully one day I will get there. From a budget standpoint, probably need to walk before I run. Thanks for the encouragement though, and I am going to hold you to the helping me part!! Jerry
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I am thinking about running an SCCA event in a couple weeks at Memphis. I can't run in T1 because of aero, coilovers etc. STO as mentioned earlier is close to ST1, don't have the power for STO. So what research I have done it looks like it will be ITM (Improved Touring Memphis). It is from what I am being told is kind of a catch all class if your car really doesn't fit into any other class. Here is a short description;
I was told by Rob B. that they don't really want ITO/ITE to be a corvette class, but maybe you'll have some luck. I bumped up against that when looking at doing the ARRC in Nov, illegal for T1, get slaughtered in STO. Nowhere to really run.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
........ modifications are only allowed as to what SCCA says you can do. Brakes, headers, shocks are all open now but you still have to run T1 springs and swaybars (as far as I know, someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). Typical cars in this class are C5 and C6 corvettes, Vipers.
Brakes headers and shocks are not "open".
They have specific guidelines of what/who's stuff you can run.
For instance, Brakes are 4 piston only, not 6 or 8.
You can also change bushings now but only to plastic, not to bearings.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I was told by Rob B. that they don't really want ITO/ITE to be a corvette class, but maybe you'll have some luck. I bumped up against that when looking at doing the ARRC in Nov, illegal for T1, get slaughtered in STO. Nowhere to really run.
You are probably right because the e-mail response I recieved this morning was to go ahead and sign up in the ITM CLass and then we can adjust as necessary ..
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Part of the reason I stopped racing in SCCA was because the ITE/ITO class basically died and the car was non-competitive in STO. As previously mentioned, no place to race. I had been racing there for 8 or so years and in NASA. It was good to be able to switch. Now just NASA ST2, well until this year. Looks like I am now required to be in STR2 because of rules.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
Brakes headers and shocks are not "open".
They have specific guidelines of what/who's stuff you can run.
For instance, Brakes are 4 piston only, not 6 or 8.
You can also change bushings now but only to plastic, not to bearings.
True... I should have worded it a little better. I meant that those items were opened up from "stock" items to upgraded items as specified in the rules.

I would not be a good lawyer.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic differences between t1, t2, st1 and st2?

Quick Reply: Basic differences between t1, t2, st1 and st2?