Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road warrior review - long

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road warrior review - long

I recently bought a bottle of the road warrier from Madshaddow and just used it for two weekends in a row of HPDE. I want to say that I am very happy with the product, but have only one usage reservation. THE GOOD. I applied two coats to the front end, headlights, half doors, and half the hood. Did it at night in the garage (78 degF humid) and cured it with a 1800 watt hair dryer. It looks and smells like Elmers glue going on, and dries nearly clear with a firm rubber like feel and orange peel texture when dried. Easy and quick to apply, but takes a little time to cure if doing it with a hair dryer (I'd say about 7-8 minutes of blow drying for one coat over half the hood). I did it last thursday, then did two track days Sat and Sunday. Drove thru about 5 min of rain coming home. Then the car sat that way all week, then I did another track day yesterday, and hosed off the product last night. I hosed the car down, then just used the hose gun stream to blast off the coating, which came off in large sheets. You can peel it off by hand just as easy like the video. The paint underneath is clean and smooth, with no residue left behind. You will probably want to rewash/rewax sections you coated, but does not look necessary. I did use blue painters tape on the very front nose/vertical sections of the bumper just in case extra protection was needed for a large high speed impacts, but I think a 3rd coat of road warrier would serve the same purpose. BTW, the road warrier can be applied over the tape, which I did to act as extra protection, and to also seal all the edges down to keep them from peeling in the wind. Madshaddow recommends not doing the headlights, but I found it cures clear enough that I did it and would recommend it highly. In all, I had about 700 miles of high speed track and travel, and have not found one chip thru this coating. Top speed of about 120 mph on track. Adding up the high speed forays on the track, I calculate that I hit or exceeded 110 mph about 1000 times in 250 racing laps. Road warrier was still intact and protecting well. Alot of black rubber marks on it from race rubber flying. This is what I will use for track days from now on. The RESERVATION: The only weakness with this product is water. I think if you were driving the car in rain for a while on the highway, it would likely start to peel off. That said, I did mention that mine got wet briefly while driving home the first weekend and I only had a little peeling around the headlights and leading edges of the coating. Very good product, and I would recommend for track days and long occasional road trips. For a daily driver, it would not be practical.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

BTW, you should apply this to a clean and well waxed surface I believe to make sure it lifts off nicely in sheets.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Back door marketing?

No offense but takes too much time to apply.

Quickshine99 Spay on wipe off. DONE
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Back door marketing?

No offense but takes too much time to apply.

Quickshine99 Spay on wipe off. DONE

I'm not marketing this product. I used it, and gave an honest and detailed review of this product, including good and reservations. Also, an example of cure time. I tried to help others decide if it is right for them. Had I not liked this product, you would have read that, but I did like it. "Too much time" is subjective, but the road warrior in my opinion goes on quite quickly. I would estimate 15 minutes per coat for the front end.
Are you marketing the quickshine99? Either way, I will check it out. Can anyone tell me if it will protect from paint chips from small stones at over 100 mph?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is it me or do these two products serve entirely different purposes?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Madshadow
Cruising

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
is it me or do these two products serve entirely different purposes?
It's not just you - the products are entirely different. RWP is not designed to enhance the appearance of your vehicle, but rather to protect it temporarily. I would like to add that I have driven thousands of miles with RWP applied and have never had it lift or peel in the rain. It's all about making sure it has cured adequately before heading into heavy weather.

Thanks for the great unsolicited review of RWP. Once people understand it's intended use and limitations it's almost a no-brainer in many situations, track racing being one.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Link? Thanks for the review.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Madshadow
Cruising

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Link? Thanks for the review.
Thatonedude got his RWP from madshadowcustompaint.com