Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap way to get some grip for the stock seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Razzoo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap way to get some grip for the stock seats

I have a "new to me" c5 z06, which is stock other than a cold air intake. With the dealer tag still on the car, I attended a two day HPDE event at Roebling Road.

Noticing that the seats are not very grippy and without enough time to select and install a replacement seat I made do with:

a rubber band
a tool box mat
a little bailing wire

I used rubber band to secure the mat to the the center of the seat back (starting about the z06 logo), then used the bailing wire to bundle up the the shoulder belt so that the shoulder strap will not fully extend (the bundled up belt does not fit through slot so it locks and sort of holds me in place). It worked surprisingly well. the mat is so sticky you can't even slide into the seat. The mat grips both your shirt and the seat very well. Since it is quickly reversible, I had the benefit of the comfy stock seat for the 10 hour round trip.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I would not alter the functioning of the stock seat belts, they are a system and should be left intact. Better than your back, put some rubbery waffle carpet padding or your tool box mat on the seat bottom. A lot of us throw it on the bottom of the seat to keep us planted.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that the factory Z06 seat is poor. The seat in my C4 was 10 times better in factory form. I wonder how the C5 sports seats are...

But I would not do anything to modify your factory seat belt. It may work well during driving, but in an accident if that balling wire slips you now have a lot of slack and nothing to keep you in the seat. I wholeheartedly agree with rocsvette, don't mess with the factory seat belt.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The sticky mat is fine, don't mess with the belt function.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Look into Angel Pads at www.angelwingstech.com. A much better and relatively inexpensive solution if you are going to stay with the stock seats. I love my set.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how big you are, but if you're less than about 210-225 lbs this might help: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...upport-108924/

Dog
Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I agree that the factory Z06 seat is poor. The seat in my C4 was 10 times better in factory form. I wonder how the C5 sports seats are...
The C5 sport seats are great, complete with belt passthrough if you have harnesses, and bolsters keep you inside. I wish my C6 Z had the seats like I have in my 02.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use that stuff you line your shelves with in the kitchen.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
I don't know how big you are, but if you're less than about 210-225 lbs this might help: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...upport-108924/

Dog
That looks like a great intermediate step while I decide what route to go. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Look into Angel Pads at www.angelwingstech.com. A much better and relatively inexpensive solution if you are going to stay with the stock seats. I love my set.

Everyone I loan mine to, buys there own.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Razzoo
Cruising

Originally Posted by froggy47

The sticky mat is fine, don't mess with the belt function.

I am confused;
My understanding is the shoulder part of the seat belt is that it has a emergency-locking retractor (ELR), of the type that only locks during a crash. When the ELR senses sudden deceleration it grabs and holds the seat belt. The problem I am addressing is when you are not in a crash but are braking hard at the end of a straight or in high G turn the EGR may let the belt go slack. I am not in any way disabling the ELR. It is still going to lock on sudden deceleration.

The only problem that I see with this is that if you are pulling out on a street and have need to look around a bush or something you cannot lean forward without unlocking your seat belt, but I would think have the same issue with a shoulder harness on a race seat.

Not trying to be argumentative, just seeking to understand.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Razzoo
I am confused;
My understanding is the shoulder part of the seat belt is that it has a emergency-locking retractor (ELR), of the type that only locks during a crash. When the ELR senses sudden deceleration it grabs and holds the seat belt. The problem I am addressing is when you are not in a crash but are braking hard at the end of a straight or in high G turn the EGR may let the belt go slack. I am not in any way disabling the ELR. It is still going to lock on sudden deceleration.

The only problem that I see with this is that if you are pulling out on a street and have need to look around a bush or something you cannot lean forward without unlocking your seat belt, but I would think have the same issue with a shoulder harness on a race seat.

Not trying to be argumentative, just seeking to understand.
You don't need to do any modifications to the belt system.
When you sit in your seat put it all the way back. Pull the belt out all the way. When you let it back in it will lock in position. Then pull your seat forward to your normal driving position. You will be tight and comfy
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You don't need to do anything to the belt. Just use the standard belt cinch feature. To be held tightly in the seat first run the seat all the way back. Get in the car and push your butt as far back as you can get it. Then pull the lap belt all the way out until it stops. Then fasten the belt and then while pulling the shoulder belt with your right hand feed the slack through the buckle and use your left hand to feed it into the lap belt retractor, do this until the belt is tight. Now run the seat forward until the lap belt feels like it will cut your body in half at the pelvis. Just short of severe pain is sufficient. Then once you leave the clutch out and move the car abruptly with the gas the shoulder belt will lock tightly across your chest. You will not move forward or backward and your butt will not slide around but your upper and lower body will pivot around the lap belt. Upper body moves left and legs move right and vice versa. With the stock seat whether it be the Z06 style or Sport style a 5 or 6 point harness will not do any better at keeping you from moving. Don't waste time on the sport seat, been there and done that and wasted the money. The only thing that keeps your upper and lower body from moving laterally is a good seat.

The cinch feature works on C6s as well. The only difference being the retractor is on the shoulder belt side Vs the lap belt side so you have to reverse the direction you move the belt to get it tight.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap way to get some grip for the stock seats

Quick Reply: Cheap way to get some grip for the stock seats