Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit tow truck on track at VIR????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Someone hit tow truck on track at VIR????

I heard someone hit the tow truck that was on track at VIR this weekend, anyone there who can give details?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, that was Juan Pablo who hit the jet dryer at Daytona.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

EDIT - Looks like I was incorrect on exactly how it all went down. I was relaying what I had been told at the track from various sources. It didn't happen on the start. Sorry for spreading incorrect information.

Saturday's stingerbahn race - pivotal moment was at 3:10 or so when the race went to ****. The EV guys did a great job. I assume it was their training that positioned one of the two trucks to block/defend against what ended up happening. Had they not rolled EV's or had people on the ground without the blocking EV, this could have been very bad. (watch the mirror as I went by).

Last edited by travisnd; 03-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Wow!

The NASA forum is eerily quiet aboout the incident.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'm a complete noob, but even given my limited skills and knowledge I have to say the track was tricky. I was sliding all over the place and a Mini went off in front of me in Hyperdive. He hit the tirewall hard before 10 right before Oaktree. I saw several cars Saturday get the towtruck ride back to the paddock.

I don't know anything about the incident in question, but the carnage was pretty impressive. The weather up until around 12:00 pm was pretty bad and the track didn't really dry out until after 1:00 pm on Saturday.

Last edited by jcsperson; 03-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
Wow!

The NASA forum is eerily quiet aboout the incident.
That it is... I'm sure it's being dealt with accordingly. Apparently dude who hit the tow truck now "owns" said tow truck.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I'm a complete noob, but even given my limited skills and knowledge I have to say the track was tricky. I was sliding all over the place and a Mini went off in front of me in Hyperdive. He hit the tirewall hard before 10 right before Oaktree. I saw several cars Saturday get the towtruck ride back to the paddock.

I'm don't know anything about the incident in question, but the carnage was pretty impressive. The weather up until around 12:00 pm was pretty bad and the track didn't really dry out until after 1:00 pm on Saturday.
Just so you know this past weekend was an aberration. Hope you come out for another go
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by travisnd
Just so you know this past weekend was an aberration. Hope you come out for another go
I'll definitely be back.

Both of us (my wife was in Hyperdive in her Mazda 3) had a great time. I spent the rest of the afternoon with the Corvette crowd up on the hill and got quite an education about my car and NASA in general. Those guys were great.

Bill, my instructor, was patient and informative. I was glad to hear he never really asked me to accelerate. He'd always tell me after the fact that I might've gone faster in a given section of the track.

I'll be there Friday for the charity laps to learn the course a little better. I'm also signed up for the NCM HPDE in June and an event at Nelson Ledges in July.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I spent the rest of the afternoon with the Corvette crowd up on the hill...
Careful how much time you spend with those guys
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Careful how much time you spend with those guys
As the old saying goes, "Birds of a feather flock together." They're all about the same vintage ('50s) as me.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On top of that incident there was more carnage this weekend than I've ever seen at one event. Countless cars with crash damage in the paddock and 10+ totaled vehicles at least.
I am a broken record about such, but a race license is like a street driver's license. It's way to easy to get one and about 50% of the people have no business having either.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I am a broken record about such, but a race license is like a street driver's license. It's way to easy to get one and about 50% of the people have no business having either.
It's easier getting a racing license -- all you need is a checkbook.

I hope the tow truck driver and anyone else who may have been hurt only have short-lived injuries.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

5. 3rd flight goes green, comes around, ignores multiple caution flags at multiple stand and 5 or 6 wreck coming into T3 avoiding the carnage already there.
Seems like there would have been plenty of time to throw the red before the 3rd group ever got close to that T3 area. I'd say the tow truck being smashed would be worthy of a red flag any day.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 AM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Seems like there would have been plenty of time to throw the red before the 3rd group ever got close to that T3 area. I'd say the tow truck being smashed would be worthy of a red flag any day.
Yea but this is NASA!!!!! Common sense and great organization isn't high up on their list. The funny thing is, I find the NASA TT groups safer and better run than any of the NASA racing groups. I love running NASA and much prefer it to SCCA but these kinds of things just shouldn't happen lol. Glad no one was hurt
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I wasn't watching first hand... I'm not sure why the red wasn't thrown after the truck was hit. I will say the MA race director is very serious about his job as is Cobetto. The comp school in MA isn't easy. They take it very seriously. When I wnt through it last October they failed a guy. It's not like the instructor clinics.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

I will say the MA race director is very serious about his job.. .
JJ isn't to be screwed with. When he's serious, he's very serious, and that is as it should be.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

The comp school in MA isn't easy. They take it very seriously. When I wnt through it last October they failed a guy. It's not like the instructor clinics.
The MA version of comp school is much different than SE. I believe 1 or 2 failed when I went through it 4-5 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Someone hit tow truck on track at VIR????

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
The MA version of comp school is much different than SE. I believe 1 or 2 failed when I went through it 4-5 years ago.
...and yet, the tow truck was hit at VIR by a MA driver.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
...and yet, the tow truck was hit at VIR by a MA driver.
LOL...never said everyone was perfect
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
As I understand it, VIR makes that call, Not NASA. When we run at The Glen they are in control of the track and flaggers not NASA.

Quick Reply: Someone hit tow truck on track at VIR????