Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eibach coil over

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Eibach coil over

I've been dinking and dunking around with my home made double adjustable QA1's for several years. I'm pretty happy with the front considering they only cost me $600 or so because you can just use stock hardware and QA1 adapters, but the rear is a PITA. I refuse to use the QA1 manufactured rear brackets developed for the corvette for personal reasons, but mainly because I feel they cherry picked my ideas, though I recognize it's a free country (though less and less so).

With that said I haven't seen any of the forum sponsors selling the shocks below or I'd give them a call, but has anyone try the eibach coilover with remote resovoir?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-38124-713/

other remote resovoir shocks like moton are MUCH more expensive.

thoughts, comments, experience?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe forum members Wallyman and Oyishdog have run these. Maybe PM thing if they don't chime in.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

I've had these on my Z06 for three years now and I like them. I don't track the car so I can't comment on their performance or suitability for that purpose. For canyon carving and just all around street use they are great. They eliminated the "skittish when cornering over bumps" issue.

Bear in mind that these are not "coil over shocks" in the sense that is normally used around here (Pfadt, LG, etc.) These do not replace the stock leaf springs. Think of them as much better shocks that have "helper" springs that comes into play when needed.

I'm quite happy with mine for my uses. Your mileage may vary.

Z//
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I believe forum members Wallyman and Oyishdog have run these. Maybe PM thing if they don't chime in.
Originally Posted by Zoxxo
I've had these on my Z06 for three years now and I like them. I don't track the car so I can't comment on their performance or suitability for that purpose. For canyon carving and just all around street use they are great. They eliminated the "skittish when cornering over bumps" issue.

Bear in mind that these are not "coil over shocks" in the sense that is normally used around here (Pfadt, LG, etc.) These do not replace the stock leaf springs. Think of them as much better shocks that have "helper" springs that comes into play when needed.

I'm quite happy with mine for my uses. Your mileage may vary.

Z//
I am not 100% sure the part # is the same as the version Wally and I used.

Anyway, they work great and can be used as a full coilover shock sans leaf springs by simply changing the springs. The version I have are double adjustable (shock built by Callaway).

For those that question the performance value of these, while I am certain there are better options out there (and care less to argue about it), the configuration used on Wally's old car and my current car (ST2) have proven sub 2 min lap times at VIR (Wally). I have no where near the skill of Wally in the driving department, but have seen 2:00-2:01's with more left on the table (again driver skill lacking and lack of desire to spend countless hours on car setup and car weight reduction).

Now, with any multi adjustable shock, you can easily have your settings WRONG and actually increase your lap times. I experienced this in the beginning and it is very frustrating to add "magical go fast parts" and end up slower. It takes time to find the right settings for a track and conditions.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you gentlemen.

I like the QA1 up front and they feel much better than any of the leaf spring configurations I tried on the car, but as much as I have into it, and riding on it, messing around with the rear QA1 brackets seems silly. I have such a hard time getting rear camber, even with the settings maxed out, I really have to have to raise the rear to get the neg camber. It definately helped the high speed stability to have the rake on the car though.

If I could get down to the 2 min mark at VIR, I would be very happy especially since my 97's ABS hasn't worked in years and I don't ever really expect it to be able to work as the EBCM isn't in production, but that's another issue for a different day.

My times at vir Full with R888 scrubs that have a couple of seasons on them is around 2:10, but I usually am hauling someone around with me and talking.

I drove one of my student's stock 2011 grand sport and was amazed at how good it was right out of the box. It almost made me feel silly for messing around with my car and making it completely undriveable on the street. But I love having the protection of a properly constructed cage, and when the little cammed 346 starts singing, those 427's don't really pull away like they think they will...

Now that you mention it, I remember the eibachs were supplimental.

Just curious, are you running aero to get to the 2 min mark?

Last edited by NASAblue; 03-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Eibach coil over

Quick Reply: Eibach coil over