Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a shifter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Need a shifter recommendation

When I had a shop in Maryland install a upgraded RPM tranny to my C5z they took it upon themselves to install a Calloway shifter saying all the hot shoes used it. Maybe most people like it however for my taste the very close shift gates seems more suited to drag racing. Complicating my issue is I find myself switching cars from my C5 which likes to break down to my C6 which I prefer the shifter in.

Should I be loving the Calloway or should I switch it out to a C6 shifter as well and if I do will the feel of a C6 shifter in a HD RPM tranny be different than my stock C6 ZR1?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You can just put a C6Z shifter and **** in your C5. I ran one in my old street Z06 for years and loved it.

Personally, I run a MGW with the taller shaft option. It has a raised fulcrum for shorter throws, but the shift shaft is the same height as OEM so it's easy to get to from the steering wheel. It's the only shifter that provides shorter throws without a lowered **** height. I run a Hardbar C5R delrin **** on it. I was running the OEM shifter until I flubbed two shifts coming out of hogs pen at VIR in February last year. I was on what would have been record laps at the time!

I love the thing... perfect combination of shorter throw w/o being too short and positive engagement w/o being a burden to shift. Plus, it's made in the USA and it's extremely high quality. The time and development that went into the design is evident when compared to other shifters. Also, George of MGW sends instructions, a CD-rom, A t-handle allen wrench, loc-tite, and thread lube.... everything needed to install all included.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Brian
As usual thanks for your imput.
Joe
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

All of the SCCA cars ran a Hurst in them. Even kept the Hurst main unit when we first made the switch to the sequential trans units before adapting the Emco shifter.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by travisnd

Personally, I run a MGW with the taller shaft option. It has a raised fulcrum for shorter throws, but the shift shaft is the same height as OEM so it's easy to get to from the steering wheel. It's the only shifter that provides shorter throws without a lowered **** height. I run a Hardbar C5R delrin **** on it. I was running the OEM shifter until I flubbed two shifts coming out of hogs pen at VIR in February last year. I was on what would have been record laps at the time!

I love the thing... perfect combination of shorter throw w/o being too short and positive engagement w/o being a burden to shift. Plus, it's made in the USA and it's extremely high quality. The time and development that went into the design is evident when compared to other shifters. Also, George of MGW sends instructions, a CD-rom, A t-handle allen wrench, loc-tite, and thread lube.... everything needed to install all included.

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
All of the SCCA cars ran a Hurst in them. Even kept the Hurst main unit when we first made the switch to the sequential trans units before adapting the Emco shifter.
used many different shifters and overall like MGW and Hurst over all the rest.

My car I have been running a Hurst for years now.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

...they took it upon themselves to install a Calloway shifter saying all the hot shoes used it. Maybe most people like it however for my taste the very close shift gates seems more suited to drag racing.
If you felt this way about the Callaway then you will not like the Hurst IMO. I had one for 3 years in the old Z06 before I swapped to the C6Z unit. They are wonderful drag racing shifters as the strong centering action makes the 2-3 shift like working a bolt-action rifle. However, that strong centering makes the 4-5 shift at 140+ more difficult than it has to be. You have to be very pragmatic about making the shift so you don't stuff it back in 3rd. At least that was my experience tracking my old Z at VIR with the Hurst installed. They come with different springs to adjust and I tried every combination before giving up and swapping to the C6Z shifter... never looked back.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6-shooter from MTI.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I took my stock one and cut the barrel off, that has the rubber in it, and welded the top back on the stick. Works great. If it was a race car I'd actually make the stick taller (street car you know gotta be able to get to the radio and hvac). Reason being I prefer long throws. Short throws are for those who read too many magazines or forums.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all..........now I just need to decide.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a shifter recommendation

Quick Reply: Need a shifter recommendation