Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help improve z51 for roadcourse

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Help improve z51 for roadcourse

I was at NJMP and i want to be a little faster, if such a thing is possible. I am using RE-11, which I thought were ok. Stock Z51 suspension. If i lower on stock bolts and just change out sway ,front and rear toZ06 sways or the Johnny O will it make a noticeable difference? Thanks for all opinions. did thunderbolt In 1:43.

Edit: I see front are same only upgrade rear z06 sway will it make a diff?

Last edited by theVcar; 03-31-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stock should be just fine. Work on smoothness and hitting your markers each and every corner.

Get a coach in that right seat to help out.

Our cars are more capable in stock form then must guys want to admit.

Good Luck
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
theVcar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I knew that was coming. You are right. Can scramble eggs in my front pass seat. Well not that bad. I know with @ 410 to the wheels that is fast enough. Dave Donohue drove my car with me in it and then we switch and smooth is it.Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learning to drive will help more than mods.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Get a coach - then get the data logger he recommends.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Get a coach - then get the data logger he recommends.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Curious about what some of the veterans here would recommend in a data logger? I'd value easy to use/install above all else. Are there any that will link up with a go-pro camera or the like? I watch my vids after to learn but I have to guess at brake application pt and no idea on throttle position. But I do find watch my & others lines very helpful.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The most common recommendation is to buy the data logger that your coach is familiar with. The problem is simply understanding the data you get. Always hire your coach first and then the data logger.

I sort of like the Traq-Mate - but there are several others just as good.

Most driving coaches think the video is a distraction and see no real need for it. One I know says it helps him see where the car is on the track which is sort of useful. He has his student put a camera on their steering wheel so he can see what they're doing with their hands. I sort of like that idea.

Getting back to basics I might say the Go-Pro camera integrated with Traq-Mate is one choice to think about.

If you have a C5 or C6 you want something that can access data from ALDL link.

Richard Newton
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent a lot of time and money on my C6 Z51 and if I had it to do again I would stay stock for a while, but get a good alignment to exact specs, and corner balance the car -- and get it done by somebody that knows Corvettes or is willing to take the time to learn what needs to be changed/settled with the leaf springs.

As you improve, look at cooling (brakes, and oil temps get up), and brakes (pads and rotors get expensive). If you MUST mess with the suspension see if you can get rides, or better yet drive, some modified Corvettes-- there are a bunch of different recipes out there and they all taste a bit different, so pick the one that works for your taste buds.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2006 Z51 A6.

Suspension wise I ran first two seasons with Z51 stock suspension. Then did pfadt bushings. Then went with LG G2 coilovers, custom valved and spring'd with their G1 sways. Have had it corner balanced with aggresive alignment. Car is very nice on the track. I also run RE-11's 265/305 and Hoosier R6 275/315. Car is fast.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
I was at NJMP and i want to be a little faster, if such a thing is possible. I am using RE-11, which I thought were ok. Stock Z51 suspension. If i lower on stock bolts and just change out sway ,front and rear toZ06 sways or the Johnny O will it make a noticeable difference? Thanks for all opinions. did thunderbolt In 1:43.

Edit: I see front are same only upgrade rear z06 sway will it make a diff?
Seat time and driving coach will absolutely make a difference... just keep in mind that our Johnny O'Connell bars are designed to help not only make the car faster, but easier to drive as well. Most of the GM sway bar options are pretty rear bar biased which can make for tricky handling at times. The front bar is significantly larger in the JO package than the Z51 front, so not only will you see increases in overall rates, but a change in the balance of the car as well. With a larger front bar the bar becomes more neutral to understeer balanced and easier to drive.

Absolutely keep pushing the limits of your experience, and there is no substitute for seat time... but some strategic changes in hardware can net some really nice results once your ready to make changes.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
theVcar
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Not sure how to evaluate that chart. Explain it please
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the points show relative stiffness for the various bars
the ones with multiple dots are for the adjustable sway bars
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Stock should be just fine. Work on smoothness and hitting your markers each and every corner.

Get a coach in that right seat to help out.

Our cars are more capable in stock form then must guys want to admit.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Help improve z51 for roadcourse

Quick Reply: Help improve z51 for roadcourse