Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cradle adjustment

Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine cradle adjustment

I took my 2006 Z51 for an alignment a few months ago. I'm auto-x'ing this car in Super Stock. During the alignment the mechanic told me he was only able to get 2 degrees negative camber on one of the fronts. He had already removed the shims from the upper control arm mounts. The eccentric on the lower control arm was adjusted so no more negative camber was available. The eccentric on the other side was about mid way and it was at 2 degrees negative already. Since the lower control arms mount to the aluminum engine cradle/cross member that tells me that the cradle is justified to one side in relation to the steel frame. It looks like there are 4 bolts that attach the craddle to the frame.

Here is a pretty good exploded view of the front suspension with the engine cradle.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...256Y06-001.JPG

At the top of the image bolts #1 and 7 are the bolts that go through the steel frame and attach the cradle.

Has anyone seen this before and are the holes in the cradle large enough to allow some adjustment side to side? If so is there a procedure for moving the cradle? I'm guessing support the car on jack stands. Loosen the 4 bolts a little and move the cradle (then have the car re-aligned), but there is probably more to it than that. Any tips or ideas on this would be a big help.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by SteveC68; 04-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have adjusted the rear cradle on my car the same way. Use a big pry bar and pull the cradle over to the side you need it to while someone tightens up the bolts.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to have my rear cradle shifted to get the same camber on both sides. My alignment guy did what jaymz said it was not a big deal.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My alignment guy told me that if I wanted the specs and adjustments to be the same on all 4 corners I will have to buy a special part that is built to much tighter tolerances. He said you can get it almost anywhere, but its kind of expensive. What is it? .........

Its a Porsche.

Dog
Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Steve, any luck on moving this? I think I need to do the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine cradle adjustment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine cradle adjustment