Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did you guys know about this? trans temp gauge on dic

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default did you guys know about this? trans temp gauge on dic

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33223

Anyone by chance have pics if you have done it? Very interested
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an outstanding piece of info, and just what I am looking for. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

And it looks like mn6 does not have one :-/
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It will flash if it gets hot. Saw it once a few years back while running a 30 minute session at a road course. I now have a tranny cooler and have never seen it since (03 C5Z).
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great find, I would be interested to hear if anyone here has tried it
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by southern_son
It will flash if it gets hot. Saw it once a few years back while running a 30 minute session at a road course. I now have a tranny cooler and have never seen it since (03 C5Z).
yes, but this shows how to make it an actual temp gauge
Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33223

Anyone by chance have pics if you have done it? Very interested
My mech wanted $300. to wire mine up. Pass. Maybe I'll do it myself, but I would rather just have a cooler tran. temp.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know about it because I have the auto. When I track, I put the DIC on tranny temp and watch it. I cool off a little when I hit 235 but have seen as high as 248 during some chase downs. If you get temp warning on the auto, it will shut down your gear shifts. I change the fluid and filter regularly. I continue to add tranny heating (through the radiator) and cooling to manage temps - too much cooling is a bad thing. Installing a dual core Dewitts with twin oil and tranny coolers next week before Watkins Glen. With good tuning, the automatic can be very rewarding using paddle shifting. Also, no double clutching required. Good for us lazy old guys.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
I know about it because I have the auto. When I track, I put the DIC on tranny temp and watch it. I cool off a little when I hit 235 but have seen as high as 248 during some chase downs. If you get temp warning on the auto, it will shut down your gear shifts. I change the fluid and filter regularly. I continue to add tranny heating (through the radiator) and cooling to manage temps - too much cooling is a bad thing. Installing a dual core Dewitts with twin oil and tranny coolers next week before Watkins Glen. With good tuning, the automatic can be very rewarding using paddle shifting. Also, no double clutching required. Good for us lazy old guys.
Have you talked with folks running water to fluid and air to fluid cooling? Even here in the south the preferred method seems to be air to fluid. Up in the northern climes I would think you might rather give your engine cooling the whole radiator and let the air cooling do the rest. ...just sayin'.....
Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The Z06's MN12 has the trans temp gauge in the fill plug. However, you can't pull up the reading on the DIC unless you overheat it. Pretty stupid IMO. If you get it to 276 it'll flash trans overtemp warning and show you the temp. Then if you don't hit anything you can keep the trans temp up and watch the temp. Not sure why they didn't just make it accessible all the time via the DIC.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That's what this does. It tricks the computer/DIC into being able to display it all the time.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Unless you figured some way to plug it into the transmission in addition to the cooler line you will never see a temp warning since the sensor isn't on the car. When I installed tranny coolers in my two C5s the outlet side of the cooler goes into the fill hole of the transmission which is exactly the place the sensor goes.

Bill
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Unless you figured some way to plug it into the transmission in addition to the cooler line you will never see a temp warning since the sensor isn't on the car. When I installed tranny coolers in my two C5s the outlet side of the cooler goes into the fill hole of the transmission which is exactly the place the sensor goes.

Bill
I'm not sure what cooler kit Southern Son is using, but the DRM kit uses a T-fitting with one side going to transmission's fill port, one side the return line from the cooler, with the third port for stock trans temp sensor. Given the flow rate of their kit, the sensor is still likely submerged in oil. It will measure the oil temp after the cooler.

EDIT: Here, I just found this photo.

If you want to also measure the temp before the cooler, that can be done too of course. It requires extra fittings, sensor, and a gauge/data system.

Last edited by MySR71; 04-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Bill
Not sure how it is plumbed. The fuel pump for transporting the tranny fluid is in the RR quarter panel and the little independent radiator is in front of engine radiator. If the sensor is no longer in the loop it is probably OK now since I have run many miles on track since with no problems. But, as stated earlier, it didn't seem to take too much to light up the warning before extra cooler installed.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a transmission from Rick at RKT. Because I knew I was going to be installing LG's trans/diff cooler kit Rick drilled and tapped a hole for the oil return line forward and higher up from the original fill/temp hole. With the separate return oil hole I was able to keep my temp sensor in the original fill hole.

This would be a pain in the you know what if you were just adding coolers, but since he was building the transmission from parts it wasn't too hard to do while the case was empty.

Dog

Oh, I should mention that Rick did a great job and provided outstanding customer service. He's available almost 24/7 if you have a problem. I had some problems during my install and called him on a Sunday night. He answered right away and we came up with a solution. I highly recommend RKT for any transmission work you might do.

Last edited by meldog21; 04-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks precarious in the case of a cut tire.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
That looks precarious in the case of a cut tire.
Normally it is behind the fender liner. You raise a good point though. I'll look into at least pointing the the sensor forward rather than rearward. That will give it some additional protection. Thanks.

Last edited by MySR71; 04-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Bill
Bill,
Just wondering ..... Yesterday I just put in a DeWitts radiator in my '08 C6 Manual. It sure went in easily. This has the two hook ups for eng. oil cooling and tranning oil cooling. Next, I will be hooking up my tranny lines & was thinking about putting in a temp sensor as you have done. Maybe I am missing something, but doesn't it make more sense to put the sensor coming out of the tranny rather than going in? The temp that is read from the port on the top of the housing would show the cooled down temp and not the true temp.?

Get notified of new replies

To did you guys know about this? trans temp gauge on dic

Quick Reply: did you guys know about this? trans temp gauge on dic