Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretical Fast Laps

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Theoretical Fast Laps

I have been studying data from my G2X logger, I was just wondering what kind of time difference most of you are seeing between your fast lap and your theoretical fast lap? I am showing a 2.386 second quicker theoretical lap. Based on a 1.15.700 lap. Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theoretical best lap really depends on the track conditions between the 2 sets of data, and what kind of track it is. It's easier to make up time on a longer fast track vs a shorter low speed track. At Road Atlanta I'm within 3 tenths of my theoretical best. At CMP I'm about 1 second off it. Barber is one of those tracks that you either get everything perfect, or you throw the lap away, and there I'm about 8 tenths off my theoretical best.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Chuck Norris (and Danny Popp) are faster than their TBL
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

How does the G2X measure a TBL? Do you set segments and it adds them up accordingly? If so how many segments?

A lot depends on traffic and your ability to be consistent. If you can get inside .3, you are doing well. 1 second isn't too bad. If you did a lot of clean, no traffic laps and you are still 2.3 off, you should really concentrate on being more consistent. And this is why video with data overlay is great because you can see where a car got in the way, or you messed up the turn.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I have been studying data from my G2X logger, I was just wondering what kind of time difference most of you are seeing between your fast lap and your theoretical fast lap? I am showing a 2.386 second quicker theoretical lap. Based on a 1.15.700 lap. Thanks in advance
Make sure you disable the laps where you blew a corner or carried too much speed through a corner and went off... theoretical laps are based on combined the best segment times from all the laps, so if you ran a segment "too fast" and went off or blew the next segment you need to disable that lap so the software doesn't think that is your best possible segment time -- since it leads you to blow the next segment (or have blown the prior one).

That said, I often see 1.5-2 better on my TBL at Thunderhill than I actually attained... just shows I don't push hard enough through all the segments every lap...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
Theoretical best lap really depends on the track conditions between the 2 sets of data, and what kind of track it is. It's easier to make up time on a longer fast track vs a shorter low speed track. At Road Atlanta I'm within 3 tenths of my theoretical best. At CMP I'm about 1 second off it. Barber is one of those tracks that you either get everything perfect, or you throw the lap away, and there I'm about 8 tenths off my theoretical best.
Thanks, based on those numbers you are consistently better each lap. Sounds like I have some work to do! This particular race was 15 laps for me because I went off and clogged the radiator screen with grass. I need to go back and review each lap based on traffic etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by heavychevy
How does the G2X measure a TBL? Do you set segments and it adds them up accordingly? If so how many segments?

A lot depends on traffic and your ability to be consistent. If you can get inside .3, you are doing well. 1 second isn't too bad. If you did a lot of clean, no traffic laps and you are still 2.3 off, you should really concentrate on being more consistent. And this is why video with data overlay is great because you can see where a car got in the way, or you messed up the turn.
Yes it sets segments depending how you set it up for when it recognizes a turn based on G loads. At this particular track (Memphis) it divided into 11 segments. I do have the track vision software for video overlay, so I can do that and see how many clean laps I had during that session. Thank you
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Using a DL1 I had about a 2 sec difference I have some work to do. Mine was broken into about 8 sections at Mosport.

Get notified of new replies

To Theoretical Fast Laps

Quick Reply: Theoretical Fast Laps