Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield nicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Windshield nicks

Been getting a lot of small nicks on my '07Z windshield from track events.
Is it possible to polish these out? If so, how?
Anybody using windshield tear-offs for a street/track car?

Thanks,
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Par for the course. I've used glass compound on my buffer and it doesn't do much. Never tried tear-offs, but probably best for a dual use vehicle.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a windshield repair guy come and repair the bigger nicks in my windshield. He charges ~$0-$75 depending in how many he repairs.

He drills them and puts that magic potion polymer stuff in the damaged area. Works well and keeps the nick from growing.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
I have a windshield repair guy come and repair the bigger nicks in my windshield. He charges ~$0-$75 depending in how many he repairs.

He drills them and puts that magic potion polymer stuff in the damaged area. Works well and keeps the nick from growing.
I do the same for actual chips, but I think the OP is more referring to the sandblasting that the glass gets to the point it's hard to even see when driving into the setting sun. Living at the beach we have more sand on the roads so it's something I've always dealt with on my Corvettes.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably wouldn't hurt for me to find someone around here locally to do that on my windshield.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by travisnd
I do the same for actual chips, but I think the OP is more referring to the sandblasting that the glass gets to the point it's hard to even see when driving into the setting sun. Living at the beach we have more sand on the roads so it's something I've always dealt with on my Corvettes.
If it's the sandblasting he's referring to, then good luck with that. A new windshield is about the only thing that'll take care of that. I had mine replaced a few years ago and it was $250 (surprisingly cheap, I thought).
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

If it's the sandblasting he's referring to, then good luck with that. A new windshield is about the only thing that'll take care of that. I had mine replaced a few years ago and it was $250 (surprisingly cheap, I thought).
That is cheap. The expensive part is usually R&Ring the weatherstrip and various trim pieces do do the glass properly on a street car. On my car all that stuff is gone so it's very easy to swap glass. I called my glass guy and asked for the cheapest aftermarket glass he had and it was only $150. I was shocked.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Windshield chips

You might check the high end detailers, I have not used it but Griots has a windshield compound. Maybe contact them and ask if they think it will work.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by steponc
You might check the high end detailers, I have not used it but Griots has a windshield compound. Maybe contact them and ask if they think it will work.
That's the stuff I have... does a nice job cleaning the glass, but doesn't get the sand blasting and pits out completely... nothing can.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by travisnd
That is cheap. The expensive part is usually R&Ring the weatherstrip and various trim pieces do do the glass properly on a street car. On my car all that stuff is gone so it's very easy to swap glass. I called my glass guy and asked for the cheapest aftermarket glass he had and it was only $150. I was shocked.

The windshield they installed reflects the HUD, too. I was surprised to see that, but didn't bitch.

The salvaged the trim pieces on mine when they reinstalled. It wouldn't pass NCRS, but NASA doesn't care.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can feel the abrasions with your finger nails they won't polish out. Drive behind a gravel truck. Then you may also need a paint job.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tear offs are hard to install on the c5 and hard to install. if you are running glass, probably cheaper just to get a new windshield once a year.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield nicks

Quick Reply: Windshield nicks