Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here running DRM Bilsteins??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone here running DRM Bilsteins??

This would be on a narrow body C6. I am wondering if they are a good option for me. My car is a street car with 1-2 HPDEs a year.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say you would be a good candidate for the DRM Bilsteins. Good bang for your buck upgrade and you won't have to fiddle with any shock adjustments... which is good for anyone just getting started in HPDE's.

The ride quality will be a little firmer on the streets, but shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sent you a pm, I have a set for sale.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
I would say you would be a good candidate for the DRM Bilsteins. Good bang for your buck upgrade and you won't have to fiddle with any shock adjustments... which is good for anyone just getting started in HPDE's.

The ride quality will be a little firmer on the streets, but shouldn't be too bad.
I've got a set on my 05 Z51 HPDE and DD car!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like em. My car is mainly a track car is gives great balance for street and track
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Was there benifits on the street too? Do they help with body control and the suspension skipping over pavement imperfections?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Shifter6
Was there benifits on the street too? Do they help with body control and the suspension skipping over pavement imperfections?
In short-Yes. Love my Bilsteins.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
I've got a set on my 05 Z51 HPDE and DD car!!!
I too have a 05 Z51 and am looking to stiffen up the suspension. Are the Bilsteins the only thing you changed? Seems like there are a few more variables to consider (or not):

Sways
Poly
Leafs
etc…

Wondering how many of these go hand in hand with the shock change or if that is enough. My car is mostly for the track but some DD as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
I too have a 05 Z51 and am looking to stiffen up the suspension. Are the Bilsteins the only thing you changed? Seems like there are a few more variables to consider (or not):

Sways
Poly
Leafs
etc…

Wondering how many of these go hand in hand with the shock change or if that is enough. My car is mostly for the track but some DD as well.
The DRM Bilsteins were valved based on a stock C6 Z06. So if you put say T1 springs on the car then you would need to revalve the shocks as spring rates are one of the things that is factored into shock valving. Bushings and sway bars shouldn't change anything as far as the shock is concerned.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveC68
The DRM Bilsteins were valved based on a stock C6 Z06. So if you put say T1 springs on the car then you would need to revalve the shocks as spring rates are one of the things that is factored into shock valving. Bushings and sway bars shouldn't change anything as far as the shock is concerned.
So if the DRM Bilsteins were valved based on the C6 Z06 springs, then wouldn't that imply that the springs on a Z51 should be changed to stock Z06 springs to match?

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking at the DRM Bilstiens, be sure to look into our Johnny O'Connell line as well. We built the shocks around a custom sway bar package that's included in the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1, but in practical application they perform very well for cars even without the shocks they were designed around.

For those Corvette owners who are looking to keep excellent daily driving manners, while increasing the overall performance of their Corvettes be sure to check out the Johnny O'Connell line of suspension components.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

So if the DRM Bilsteins were valved based on the C6 Z06 springs, then wouldn't that imply that the springs on a Z51 should be changed to stock Z06 springs to match?

Thanks for the input!
This is why I started the thread. I was looking for feedback from non wide body users. You will find most shock manufacturers offer one shock for C5s C6s and C6Z06s. For instance if you go with Bilstein sports, its the same number for all applications. I think its the same for the JOC shocks.

I think the spring/sway rates have to do more with the width of the car and the higher leverage the wheel/control arm have over the spring on a wide body car.

The shock tuning seems the same regardless of model.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
If you're looking at the DRM Bilstiens, be sure to look into our Johnny O'Connell line as well. We built the shocks around a custom sway bar package that's included in the Johnny O'Connell Stage 1, but in practical application they perform very well for cars even without the shocks they were designed around.

For those Corvette owners who are looking to keep excellent daily driving manners, while increasing the overall performance of their Corvettes be sure to check out the Johnny O'Connell line of suspension components.

I have a short list and you guys are on it.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input!
C6 Z06 front spring rate is 531 lbs
C6 Z51 front spring rate is 526 lbs

C6 Z06 rear spring rate is 782 lbs
C6 Z51 rear spring rate is 645 lbs

The fronts are so close that they are probably interchangeable. With production tolerances what they are there are probably some Z06's with softer front springs than some Z51's. The rears are stiffer though by almost 20%. In reality anyone less than national champion level would probably not be able to tell the difference between a Bilstein sport custom valved for the Z06 vs the Z51. I'll put it this way. When the group buy for the DRM Bilsteins starts to get into the 40's I'm buying a set.

PS: If you call someone to have a set of shocks custom valved they are going to ask you for a bunch of information about your car. Motion ratios, spring rates, unsprung weight at each corner, corner weights, total weight, what type of driving, etc. PSI wants something like $200 per shock to do a custom valve job, not including the price of the shock. Bilstein will also custom valve shocks for you. Just buy some Bilstein sports and ship them to Bilstein and I think it's about $50-$80 per shock to get them revalved. That still ends up being more than the DRM set though.

Last edited by SteveC68; 04-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveC68
C6 Z06 front spring rate is 531 lbs
C6 Z51 front spring rate is 526 lbs

C6 Z06 rear spring rate is 782 lbs
C6 Z51 rear spring rate is 645 lbs

The fronts are so close that they are probably interchangeable. With production tolerances what they are there are probably some Z06's with softer front springs than some Z51's. The rears are stiffer though by almost 20%. In reality anyone less than national champion level would probably not be able to tell the difference between a Bilstein sport custom valved for the Z06 vs the Z51. I'll put it this way. When the group buy for the DRM Bilsteins starts to get into the 40's I'm buying a set.

PS: If you call someone to have a set of shocks custom valved they are going to ask you for a bunch of information about your car. Motion ratios, spring rates, unsprung weight at each corner, corner weights, total weight, what type of driving, etc. PSI wants something like $200 per shock to do a custom valve job, not including the price of the shock. Bilstein will also custom valve shocks for you. Just buy some Bilstein sports and ship them to Bilstein and I think it's about $50-$80 per shock to get them revalved. That still ends up being more than the DRM set though.
Makes sense. I didn't realize they were so close. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here running DRM Bilsteins??

Quick Reply: Anyone here running DRM Bilsteins??