Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If ceramic pads aren't good for the track what is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default If ceramic pads aren't good for the track what is?

I've given up on searching I'm sorry. I'm looking for a track pad but still can be good for the street (not taking forever to heat up and work properly)

I don't care about dust but Just want a pad to hold up a full season on track events and not require loads of heat to work for street use as well.

Also, I heard rumors the stock drilled rotors have a tendency of "popping" at track events.

It this is true, and the stock rotors tend to crack under constant heating and cooling, can someone let me know what rotors they would recommend for the same scenario?

I currently have a 12 gs centennial edition. Appearently this car comes with the zo6 brakes.

Any recommendations would truly be appreciated. I have my first track event of the season in a month and if the stock brakes can't hold up, then I'd like to get this done. Fluids have all been replaced besides brakes btw.

Thank you very much.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many events do you plan to do? There are not many pads out there that will last a full season.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Carbotech makes a ceramic compound that is very different in construction and grip level.

they make some track / racing specific compounds.

The XP-12 front and XP-10 compounds may fit your needs.

as far as the rotors go, just use what you have. If you decided to do many more events, then a solid surface or two piece rotor would be better option for track use.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The newer race pads don't take a lot of heat like the old days. There is no such thing as an all purpose tack/street pad though. If you're only running track day stock pads are just fine. You're not a racer.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree - I've used many of todays track pads on the street and they work fine even when cold. But the noise....now thats another matter. Track pads will make a dog howl when cold. The Ferrodo DS2500 is a nice pad - high end street/lt track duty. I've used them a lot on the rear for track days and have been so happy with them that I've ended up just leaving them in for everyday use as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

when you get the pads, choose the single piece pads

remove the center pins (theyre necessary for the padlets, but for the single piece pads the pins on the sides are all thats needed to hold the pads in place) and save them for later use

hawk's dtc 30 has a low initial operating temp but works in excess of 1000 degrees

Comparison chart for hawk compounds:
http://andrew-racing.com/file/630-Ha...ison+chart.pdf
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Toilets
Drifting

Thank you so far for all the responses. I like the fact that the stocK rotors will be ok for track day usage.

My plan is 5 events and 10 autox events but you hardly apply the brakes in autox so I'm not to worried about that.

So I'm assuming for the first event, I will be ok with the stock pads and before the second one, step up to something more durable.

But a lot of pads mentioned are ceramic. Are they ok for track usage though?

I'm not sure why people have shot down the use of ceramic pads for the track. Maybe to much brake dust? I'm not sure
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
But a lot of pads mentioned are ceramic. Are they ok for track usage though?
As far as I know none of the pads mentioned are ceramics. My vote for a decent cross-over pad is the Hawk HP+. Yes, they're dusty. Yes, they squeak on occasion. But the way they stop make OEM pads embarrassed.

Actually, my favorite pad is the PFC Z-rated pad, but they're hard/impossible to find anymore.

Again, this is for your stated purpose: Primarily autox, some DE, and liveable on the street.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I've given up on searching I'm sorry. I'm looking for a track pad but still can be good for the street (not taking forever to heat up and work properly)

I don't care about dust but Just want a pad to hold up a full season on track events and not require loads of heat to work for street use as well.

Also, I heard rumors the stock drilled rotors have a tendency of "popping" at track events.

It this is true, and the stock rotors tend to crack under constant heating and cooling, can someone let me know what rotors they would recommend for the same scenario?

I currently have a 12 gs centennial edition. Appearently this car comes with the zo6 brakes.

Any recommendations would truly be appreciated. I have my first track event of the season in a month and if the stock brakes can't hold up, then I'd like to get this done. Fluids have all been replaced besides brakes btw.

Thank you very much.
I run a 2006 Z06 and cooling after runs invariably leads to small cracks spreading from the drilled holes and eventually growing to a point that the rotor is useless. I'll be trying a solid slotted rotor this year.

I use one piece Carbotech XP10 on the front and XP8 in the rear, 1 piece types. However though they will work on street they are very noisy when cold.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This pad will work for Auto x and track.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

I will be more than happy to help you out.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
This pad will work for Auto x and track.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

I will be more than happy to help you out.
Thanks! Does it matter that my car with me in it is no where near 2400 pounds? It's closer to 3500 pounds.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as a pad that works well for both the street and track, the extremes are too differant. No matter what pad you choose, there are compromises one place or the other. Everyone has to decide for themselves which of those compromises they are willing to live with. Street pads on the track are easily overheated and won't stop your car. They can work though if you are willing to let off the gas a little early and not brake as hard as possible. Track pads on the street are noisy, dusty, expensive, and wear too fast. The days when they wouldn't stop your car when they are cold are gone though, so you don't have to worry about that. This is why many of the "track junkies" have a set of track pads and rotors, and a set of street pads and rotors. Some change them at the track. Some change them at home and drive to the track with the race setup on.

There are many carbon ceramic composite race compounds available that are awesome on the track. What doesn't work is your ceramic street pads like Hawk Performance Ceramics, or going down to your local Autozone and getting the best long-life ceramic pads. Those are great on the street, but are very easily overheated on the track and won't stop your car.

For your first event, you should be fine with stock pads and rotors. Be aware that you can easily overheat those pads if you start getting aggressive. You will smell them though and will have to back off, maybe skip a session. Likewise, you rotors should be fine with street pads. Best advice though would be to have a spare rotor just in case. I am assuming you are driving to the track in your car. If you should break one, you want to drive home. After your first event, you will have a better idea which way you want to go.

We can help you with your pad selection and also make high quality 2 piece rotors for your car when you are ready to make a change. Give me a call if you have any other questions. Welcome to the addiction!

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
There is no such thing as a pad that works well for both the street and track, the extremes are too differant. No matter what pad you choose, there are compromises one place or the other. Everyone has to decide for themselves which of those compromises they are willing to live with. Street pads on the track are easily overheated and won't stop your car. They can work though if you are willing to let off the gas a little early and not brake as hard as possible. Track pads on the street are noisy, dusty, expensive, and wear too fast. The days when they wouldn't stop your car when they are cold are gone though, so you don't have to worry about that. This is why many of the "track junkies" have a set of track pads and rotors, and a set of street pads and rotors. Some change them at the track. Some change them at home and drive to the track with the race setup on.

There are many carbon ceramic composite race compounds available that are awesome on the track. What doesn't work is your ceramic street pads like Hawk Performance Ceramics, or going down to your local Autozone and getting the best long-life ceramic pads. Those are great on the street, but are very easily overheated on the track and won't stop your car.

For your first event, you should be fine with stock pads and rotors. Be aware that you can easily overheat those pads if you start getting aggressive. You will smell them though and will have to back off, maybe skip a session. Likewise, you rotors should be fine with street pads. Best advice though would be to have a spare rotor just in case. I am assuming you are driving to the track in your car. If you should break one, you want to drive home. After your first event, you will have a better idea which way you want to go.

We can help you with your pad selection and also make high quality 2 piece rotors for your car when you are ready to make a change. Give me a call if you have any other questions. Welcome to the addiction!

Robert Finlayson
815-254-2631

Great advice thank you! I guess I need to be picking up a spare rotor from the dealer.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

There is another alternative that I highly recommend. Cobalt pads offer as good or better braking as the Carbotechs, but are more rotor friendly. I get amazing life from mine on a c6z06 car that is modified and fairly fast. The pads last and so do the rotors. I have tried Hawk, Carbotech, etc, and these are by far the best I have found in my opinion. Jerry Stout
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks! Does it matter that my car with me in it is no where near 2400 pounds? It's closer to 3500 pounds.
The weight of your car wil no be a problem. The XP8 will do the job and more for what you are looking for.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette

Robert Finlayson
815-254-2631
I agree, GREAT advice
"Actually, my favorite pad is the PFC Z-rated pad, but they're hard/impossible to find anymore." and I agree with this statement also. I currently run Stoptech "Street Performance" pads on my 04 Z06, with ST60 and ST40 BBK. They are perfect for the street, and I have run them 7, 30 minute sessions in one day at MSR Cresson without any issues. Note MSR does NOT tax the brakes like RA
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
There is another alternative that I highly recommend. Cobalt pads offer as good or better braking as the Carbotechs, but are more rotor friendly. I get amazing life from mine on a c6z06 car that is modified and fairly fast. The pads last and so do the rotors. I have tried Hawk, Carbotech, etc, and these are by far the best I have found in my opinion. Jerry Stout

Call Robert to order a set. You wont be sorry.
Robert Finlayson
815-254-2631

Get notified of new replies

To If ceramic pads aren't good for the track what is?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Get your bakes flushed and use a DOT 4 fluid like Motul 600.

I am running carbotech xp10 in front and xp 8 in the rear. Works just fine as a street/track pad. Just be warned they are very loud when cold on the street. People hear me coming, but I don't care.

I have also hear the cobalt pads are good. I may try them once I have fried my carbotechs. Your stock pads will probably be ok for your first couple events.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Carbotech makes a ceramic compound that is very different in construction and grip level.

they make some track / racing specific compounds.

The XP-12 front and XP-10 compounds may fit your needs.

as far as the rotors go, just use what you have. If you decided to do many more events, then a solid surface or two piece rotor would be better option for track use.
Per Adam from carbotech the xp12 will out brake a stock tire and is not as street friendly as the xp 10 / xp8 set up
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Per Adam from carbotech the xp12 will out brake a stock tire and is not as street friendly as the xp 10 / xp8 set up
Ok I have a bad habit of LIKING to do motorcycle stoppies from 130 mph down 60 to take a corner.

Never too much brake
Never too much tire
Never too much HP
Never too good looking of a lady

and NEVER enough money to pay for it all.

Quick Reply: If ceramic pads aren't good for the track what is?