Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Insurance - changes to deductibles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Track Insurance - changes to deductibles

There have been some recent changes that have occurred in the deductibles for track insurance. OnTrackInsurance.com, as of 2/6/2012, had deductibles of 5% of declared value with a minimum of $1500 and that has increased to 10% with a minimum of $2500. Lockton Affinity Insurance seems to have decreased their deductible to 5% with $1500 minimum and $5000 maximum. I don't have any old Lockton policies saved so I can't confirm what they were the last time I used them but I thought they were at 10% deductible.

Jim
Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Interested to hear more on this topic.....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

OK here's some more general info on these two companies, both of which seem to have good records.

OnTrack used to be less expensive, have lower deductibles and wrote insurance through a major specialty insurance company. Now they have increased their deductible. They offer multi-event discounts in packages of three events.

Lockton Affinity used to be more expensive with higher deductibles and wrote insurance through a variety of smaller insurance companies. Now they have a lower deductible. This should bring premiums in-line with OnTrack. Lockton offers multi-event packages in groups of 6, 9, 12 or 15 events.

Both companies are easy to do business with and the policies are easy to read and understand.

I presently have a claim in process with OnTrack for an accident at VIR on March 3. I have the initial settlement check and additional payments will be going direct to the body shop for additional damages that were not included in the original estimate. (Maybe that's why they call it an estimate?).

I have no connection to either of these companies but I do strongly recommend track insurance unless you run enough events to insure yourself.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank You Very Much Jim.

After having totaled my 2002 C5Z on track, my next HPDE car will be insured for this kind of activity.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Sorry to hear that. Hope you were not hurt. I know how you feel, I did about $25K to C6ZO6 on 3/3/2012 at VIR. I hit antifreeze and lost it in an instant.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why some enterprising young person has not set up a Booth at the Tracks?

I wonder why the Associations don't get group discounts??

Do they?? I have looked and asked but it's like farting in church... not well received?

TJM
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Sorry to hear that. Hope you were not hurt. I know how you feel, I did about $25K to C6ZO6 on 3/3/2012 at VIR. I hit antifreeze and lost it in an instant.
Cheers,
Jim
Snap spin here as well but different circumstances. No injury except to my pocket and spirit. Hopefully in short I will be driving tracks again in my street car with few major changes.

Originally Posted by TJM
I wonder why some enterprising young person has not set up a Booth at the Tracks?

I wonder why the Associations don't get group discounts??

Do they?? I have looked and asked but it's like farting in church... not well received?

TJM
I've often wondered the same.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Looks like Lockton does offer discounts to the PCA and BMW CCA clubs.

As for setting up a booth at an event - They no doubt would sell more insurance; however, there's so many events that staffing and travel expenses would be off the chart.

I've wondered why they don't advertise at all. Not even bumper stickers for car trailers are available..... The only advertising seems to be word of mouth with an occasional ad in Grassroots Racing mag.

Jim
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default On-Track Insurance

Just bought a 3 event package last week which earned me a 10% discount. Called and left a message with a question -- got a call back promptly. On line application is easy and quick. You give your own estimate as to what you think your car is worth and include a list of all the major mods. Policy covers all 3 days of a weekend event and a second driver if he/she is listed on the policy application.

Jacob Katz & Co. in New York state writes the policy and it is underwritten by the Great American Insurance Group of Cincinnati. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive either. Really nice people to deal with.

My dad was a paratrooper in WW2. When he took his jump training at Ft. Benning in 1943, they told him that the 3 jumps from a DC-3 it took to earn his wings + a jump into combat really pushed the odds envelope of him getting injured.

Since this is my 5th season of HPDE driving I'm just going to add the cost of this supplemental physical damage policy to the cost of my track time fees for peace of mind if nothing else. At the speeds our cars travel on track and the number of potential bad things that can happen, it is well worth it in my mind to stack the deck in my favor. I look at it like replacing a questionable oem harmonic balancer with the bulletproof one from ATI or stock wheel hubs with SKFs -- that's one less thing to worry about going wrong while driving a buck 35 down the back straight at Mid Ohio!

Most HPDE 1 drivers don't know what they don't know. Advanced drivers (should) know more about the hazards and risks involved in our sport. Every HPDE driver needs to realistically assess what level of risk allows them to sleep at night.

The best time to buy insurance is the day before you need it!

Get notified of new replies

To Track Insurance - changes to deductibles

Quick Reply: Track Insurance - changes to deductibles