Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Race Weekend in '99 FRC - Some Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default First Race Weekend in '99 FRC - Some Questions...

Hey Gang,

Last weekend was a milestone in the so far 2-year evolution of my car from DD to CACC IP1 race-prepped (like SCCA IT), and for me from race driver training class through a couple seasons of time-attack at the track and 2 novice races in rental cars - to completing my last novice race and running my first senior race in my own car. It was a pretty awesome experience, for sure - but I'm now on a new learning & preparation curve...

The car has 222,000 km (138,000 miles) on it and is essentially stock other than the safety-mods: DOT 4 fluid, SS lines, DRM/Quantum front cooling ducts, Carbotech XP12/10 pads, Honker CAI, short throw shifter & "anti-venom" mod, Alcoa Z06 rims & Nitto NT05's on street alignment. I changed the oil & flushed the fluid before the weekend, and bled the fronts after each day (3x 20 min sessions). The track is a tightish 9 corner ~2.5 km (1.5 mile) permanent road-course that is typically very hard on brakes. My top speed was 110 mph at the end of the front stretch, and best lap time was 1:21.270 with ~1/2 tank of fuel and maybe half-tread left on the NT05's. My personal best, but not nearly extracting the full potential out of the car. More on that later...

I took the car to Friday practice to give it a good shake down & get comfortable driving with the new seat/wheel/cage/hans & window netting - with the ABS/TC/AH disabled, and to experiment with some non-ideal lines to simulate passing/defending scenarios. That worked out pretty well - got the mirrors all set up & found out how deep was too deep in the corners, while not overheating the brakes & sliding around too much.

The Saturday novice race was a gas - there was a sponsored, fully prepped IP1 BMW being driven by a 'returning instructor' who's license had lapsed. He was fast, and qualified first - I was second with my fast time. They decided to mix up the field a bit and put the super fast BMW at the back of the field, me on the pole & another quick BMW next to me. That was a pretty interesting experience following the pace car & starting the race. I held on to 1st for about half the race before the prepped BMW passed everyone, and held on to 2nd place with the other BMW on my bumper by the end of the corners but left in the dust on the straights. My best race lap was only 1/2 second slower than my fast lap - which I figured was pretty ok considering I had the BMW to defend against in the corners.

Prepped IP1 BMW:

'99 FRC:

With my fresh senior license, I found myself on Sunday in a much larger mixed-class field of 27 cars and much more experienced drivers (and the Prepped BMW with the driver from Saturday). Practice & qualifying went pretty well - the Time Attack experience helped with that, I think. I ended up qualifying 13th with a time of 1:21.500. The popular theory around the track is that R-comps can give you 3 seconds per lap, possibly more, over street tires. 1:18.500 would have put me in Q6 around 2.5 sec behind Q1, by comparison. The first lap was pretty interesting - I passed an IP2 BMW & a GTU Miata before the first corner, but lost those and a couple more as the pack went 3-wide through the first 3 corners. That was hairy, but no paint was exchanged anywhere. I ended up in 16th at the end of the race (the IP1 BMW from Saturday started at the back having not put in a quali-time, and he ended up passing me at some point). I'm pretty ok with how that all worked out - I'll probably be able to protect my lines better the next time out and if I get some R-comps that should change things a bit.

On that note, I picked up a pyrometer so I could start collecting baseline data on the tires (fairly used at this point, now at 7 race/time attack days, 2-days driver training, and 2-years of daily driving) - but I'm certainly no expert at analyzing the data. I also monitored track temp and oil temp at the end of each session.

I started off each morning with the tires at 30 psi cold (~10C / 50F) and they were 37-39 psi after each 20 min session, track temps ranged from 58F to 91F over the weekend. Without doing the full Excel analysis - the tire temps are generally a few degrees hotter on the inside, and hotter on the right (however, I was measuring counter clockwise from LF and heat-soak from the brakes in the paddock probably contributed to the slightly higher pressures & temps on the right). This is the measurements from after the Sunday race:

PSI - To/Tm/Ti | Ti/Tm/To - PSI
LF: 38 - 102/108/108 | 109/108/112 - 39 :RF
LR: 37 - 105/113/115 | 119/114/112 - 38 :RR

Oil temp ranged from 270-280F using Mobil 1 0W-40. Considering the air temp was probably never above 15C (60F), and it will get up around 38C (100F) in the summer - I think I need an oil cooler.

So, I'm thinking my order of upgrades should be:

1. Tires: I'm thinking either Nitto 555RII or qualifying scrubbed Hoosier R6's if I can get a good price on them - Toyo RA-1's have also been recommend locally. My budget is not huge, but I don't see how I can avoid this. My NT05's were intended to be my semi-wet tires, and their tread is getting pretty thin as it is. I've got a set of Alcoa 18" Z06 rears for these and was planning on a square setup - I'm thinking somewhere between 275-315, but have not made any decisions yet. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Race alignment: I'm supposing that may be slightly dependent on the tire choice, and I'd probably want to lower the car on the stock bolts some. Again, any input on this would be much appreciated.

3. Oil Cooler: preventative maintenance for my high-mileage engine. The local race-shop guy recommends a Setrab setup with fans to permit locating away from potential rock intrusions. Thoughts?

4. Suspension bushings: I'm allowed to go all the way to spherical bearings as long as there are no other mods, and no geometry changes (full adjustment allowed, including slotting, adj plates, shims, eccentric bushings). This might have to wait until the end of the season, and would likely be tied into the next on the list.

5. Front brake upgrade: I'm allowed to do anything as long as the original caliper mounts are used (I'm assuming adapters off of that are ok). With the better tires & alignment I'm guessing I'll need more brakes to maximize those upgrades. I'm probably at the limit as it is with the setup I've got now, last year there was some significant spongyness by the end of the day - I may have to start bleeding the fronts between sessions during the day. Anyhow - I'd like to be able to find something that fits inside my 17" Alcoa fronts.

With all these in mind, I'm thinking that there are likely some fairly standard (T1 style?) upgrades that I could do. Thanks for listening, and any feedback/opinions are appreciated!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Got my wish list together...

Hey Gang,

I've been doing some research, budgeting, and planning and have my wish list for the remainder of this year (4 more 2-day race weekends), and for the off season.

This Season:
1. DRM track-only oil cooler kit & steering rack bushing (shipped).
2. Hoosier R6 qualifying scrubs (on wait list for a good set). After seeing the control arm bushing deflection video I decided that I'll wait until after installing Delrin bushings & getting an alignment before I pony up for some sticker tires.

Off Season:
1. Delrin control arm bushings.
2. SKF hubs (do the stock GM hubs give you warning, or do they just 'go'?).
3. Camber kit & studs (Hardbar or Pfadt).
4. Fresh R-comps (R6's, 555RII's or R888's - the debate continues).
5. Race alignment.
6. AP Racing T1 front brake kit & Ferodo DS1.11 500mm pads (Hardbar).

The theory being, that now that all the safety stuff is done - to focus on the reliability & durability (predictability). The next step after that would be springs/shocks/swaybars. My class requires I keep the leaf springs and I've got the Z51 suspension, not sure if there is any significant advantage to going beyond that (Z06 or otherwise) - but at any rate (no pun intended) that's the configuration I'll be working from. I've got lots of seat time to put in before I'm being held back by those.

Any input/comments are welcome!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a C5 Z06 but do not race T1, so please note that these suggestions are not from an expert. Others will add coments.

I recommend that you call and talk with the people (experts) at Phoenix Racing (Forum vendors). They offer among other things, Scrub tires and priceless information!!! I would think, based on many racer comments here, that I would rather have Hoosier A6 scrubs than R6. In addition, the factory recommends lowering ONLY 10MM, or about 0.5". The rest of your want list sounds good, although I think you might need a better power steering cooler.

Good luck, and please keep posting feedback on your mods and progress. BTW, your writeup was VERY, Very good!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great job.

A6s for Qualifying may be a better choice. Stickier tire

Get notified of new replies

To First Race Weekend in '99 FRC - Some Questions...

Quick Reply: First Race Weekend in '99 FRC - Some Questions...