Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day - 4/21 @ Blackhawk Farms

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default First Track Day - 4/21 @ Blackhawk Farms

I've done some solo autocross before, but I got my first outing this past weekend at Blackhawk Farms for the MCSCC high speed autocross driving school. I think the smile finally came off my face this morning when I had to walk back into work. It is an absolute blast, I've been reading this forum for months leading up to this and the experience is even better than I expected.

I was up before 5 am, which my body was not happy about, but it was worth it. Got a few practice sessions in before lunch and a couple in the afternoon before doing 2 times runs. The temperature was below 60, which I could feel in my tires. Running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, they definitely felt a lot better once I got some heat built up in them. That didn't help as much on the times runs since it was one and done.

I got some good heat coming from my brakes during practice and will be flushing my fluid ASAP. Most likely changing pads before the next outing.

I did fairly well as far as the students in the school were concerned time wise, but from what one of the instructors remembered I was 15 or 16 seconds behind one of the regular driver's times from last year in a C5Z . So I guess that just means I need more seat time... lots and lots of seat time. :-)

I have this feeling I should hold a memorial service for my bank account now...

Thanks to everybody here for all the good info.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad you had a good experience with MCSCC. It's a pretty friendly group.

I ran my first event with them in 1987 and have not missed many events since.

My first lap times were around 1:50 with a stock Fiero. Ten years later they were about 18 seconds faster. Tires, brakes and suspension stuff, but mostly seat time.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who was the instructor ? Dont worry about track times . Comparing them to a seasoned C5 driver is a bad idea in my opinion . All the times are posted on the web . Compare against another C4
What were your times ?
I ran 1:29s my first time .1:27.689my last time . (HSAX) Blackhawk is my weakest track .
I might miss the first event , but I should make the rest .
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob31
Who was the instructor ? Dont worry about track times . Comparing them to a seasoned C5 driver is a bad idea in my opinion . All the times are posted on the web . Compare against another C4
What were your times ?
I ran 1:29s my first time .1:27.689my last time . (HSAX) Blackhawk is my weakest track .
I might miss the first event , but I should make the rest .
My instructor was Phil, he used to have a C5Z that he just sold, I think it was his time around 1:18 from last year.

I don't think they have the times posted up yet; from memory I ran 1:34.3 and a 1:35.3, I think the fastest on the sheet was a 1:29, there were a couple guys who had done it before there from what I'd overheard. I'm running a C5Z, the C4 picture in my avatar is my last Vette. I remember a couple Camaro's faster than me, but I did notice a C6Z with a 1:38 or 1:39 maybe? on the sheet.

I can't make the first event either, I'll be out of town, but I'm aiming to make the rest this year, so hopefully see you guys out there.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

1:18 in a C5? Maybe a T1 W2W flying lap on hot tires, but not a standing start MCSCC event.

A typical winning time in YM is 1:22 or so.

You can look at the track records:

http://www.mcscc.org/results/2011/ax....Blackhawk.pdf

Bottom line: ignore the times and have fun. School timed laps are usually a lot slower than events, probably due to lack of track time.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have a good time , everyone is pretty nice . Some changes this year , only two practice sessions , then they go to timed runs . Used to be three .
My advantage is I have alot of laps there on bikes .
They have a new score board , gives times up right away instead of waiting for the sheets to come out .
Some new heavy hitters in SU . Id go just to see the variety of cars.
Do the track touring at the break .. it helps
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scca t1 lap record at blackhawk farms is 1:14 set by mike Tracy in a c5 a few years back.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Shame, I think I'd prefer 3 practice rounds.

I have no illusions that I will be anywhere but the bottom of my class for some time. I classed myself in Street Mod, Seemed the best way to go with the mods I want to do. Plus this first year it's really irrelevant what class I'm in since I'm going out to have and learn as much as I can.

1:18 was the time that one of the guys pulled out of his hat as what he thought was being run, so it sounds like a few seconds off.

Between it being my first time out and the colder weather I'm surprised I wasn't slower.

If any of you guys see me out with my Black C5Z come over and let me know you are from here.

Get notified of new replies

To First Track Day - 4/21 @ Blackhawk Farms

Quick Reply: First Track Day - 4/21 @ Blackhawk Farms