Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud are the Carbotech XP series pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How loud are the Carbotech XP series pads?

I'm considering getting either a set of XP12/XP10 or XP10/XP8 pads for my DD C5Z. I plan on doing at least a track weekend every other month, as well as welcoming any additional daily braking upgrade.

I talked with a guy the other day at a Charleston, SC Cars N Coffee event who had a C5Z with XP12/XP10s and he said they don't make any noise, which I find hard to believe given the compound and how aggressive it is, but since he swore by it, I want to get some other opinions before getting some to put on mine.

Are the 12/10 louder than 10/8? He said they bit just fine cold, didn't make any noise that he could tell, etc. I don't mind the dusting.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The first rule of track pads is: There's no such thing as a dual-purpose pad. Run track pads at the track and street pads on the street. The temperature ranges are so different that neither pad will work well outside of its intended range. Street pads disintegrate at track temps and track pads just don't work at street temps. Swapping pads on a C5 takes less than 20 minutes, including lifting the car in the air. Do yourself a favor and swap pads before each event.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Ok, thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Carbotech Adam, a supporting vendor said the following when I asked him a few days ago:

Wes, I think the pad selection is on target 10 & 8, however the noise may be an issue for you, they work fine on the street with no heat but they can be loud. Please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will be happy to help you.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ran a set of XP10's and XP8's on a road trip of 1200 miles
and a fair amount of around town inbetween and they were loud,
squeeling like a stuck pig. I was ready to shoot myself by the time
I got back. Could not keep enough heat in them to quiet them. I've run a number of track days on them and they are quiet and work great on the track, for that matter they worked fine on the street too, just very noisy.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwbert
I got back. Could not keep enough heat in them to quiet them. I've run a number of track days on them and they are quiet and work great on the track, for that matter they worked fine on the street too, just very noisy.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Now I wonder why the other guy had different results?

Regardless I've decided that it will be simple enough to swap them at the track.

Do you have any experience with that? Particularly with being able to use the same rotor for different pads?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done both 10/8 and 12/10. In either case, two words:

"dump truck"

but damn they stop nice, even on the street. Although mysteriously I had one set of 10/8's that were very quiet for some unknown reason.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm on my first set of xp10/8 for the track, but it sees street duty as well. Mine squealed a little bit, it iis tolerable to me. I'm thinking about using that set up full time once my stock pads wear out.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine are crazy loud on the street, quiet on the track. They will also turn your wheels black in about 10 miles of city driving. This is with XP10/8.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy that we all get different results: my XP10/8 set up is really quiet.

I suspect that if you use your car mainly for competitive events where you're using the brakes hard, they'll remain pretty quiet. That's what I do.

If you use your car mainly as a DD, they'll get louder. Gentle use under cold conditions scrapes pad material off the rotors.--my theory.

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

I have kept a variety of track pads on for driving to the track for quite some time. They used to be pretty poor in stopping for the first mile or two in the past. These days they work fine even in the winter.

I have found that if you go deep and stop firmly they won't squeal. If you have to drag the brakes creeping up to a stop light or something, then the sequel is bad. YMMV
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
I think there is some misconception on what makes carbo's squeal. I will do my best to explain. If you run them on the race track the reason why they dont squeak is because the layer of brake compound on the rotor from the pads. When you get them on the street and everything is cold the brake pads act as as lathe and take all the brake pad off the rotor and they start to squeal. I will try and find a great video I watched about this.
Bottom line it depends how much track vs street that you drive, I have been running xp10-xp8 for a couple years and they dont make much noise at all if I throw in a track day a month. I think it depends more on how much street driving you do, and what your willing to put up with.
I couldent find the video but here is a good read
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads

Last edited by PA Z06; 05-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had some that were quiet and some that were loud but they both had 1 thing in common - DUST! After 10 miles, wheels will look like a Mercedes wheel. They are quick and easy to change out. Besides, they are a bit more expensive than street pads, so why would you want to wear them out on the street.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Birdman
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Now I wonder why the other guy had different results?

Regardless I've decided that it will be simple enough to swap them at the track.

Do you have any experience with that? Particularly with being able to use the same rotor for different pads?
All carbotech compounds are compatiable so you can use the 1521 for the street and switch to XP series for the track using the same rotor no re- beding or anything just put them on and go.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

On my 92 when I was daily driving it I ran xp10/8 combo.
It had to be really cold out for them to squeal.

I'm waiting for them to start making pad shapes for my new Camaro - the stock pads are uninspireing
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jaa1992
On my 92 when I was daily driving it I ran xp10/8 combo.
It had to be really cold out for them to squeal.

I'm waiting for them to start making pad shapes for my new Camaro - the stock pads are uninspireing
We have them what can I help you with? PM me
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

School bus comes to mind.

They do sound like a dumptruck or school bus on the street.

Race pads for track and street pads for street. I like XP10-8 combo

By the way they dust really bad also but not the nasty stuff like hawk, as do the bobcats dispite what some will say.

Get notified of new replies

To How loud are the Carbotech XP series pads?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
All carbotech compounds are compatiable so you can use the 1521 for the street and switch to XP series for the track using the same rotor no re- beding or anything just put them on and go.
It only takes 15-20 to swap the pads plus you should really bleed the fluid after a track event.

As others have said, the race pads stop fine on the street but can make more noise and dust. Your rotors should be almost grey after a track event if the pads are properly bedded. Noise increases as you wear the transfer layer off the rotor driving under normal street conditions.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
We have them what can I help you with? PM me
WOOOHOOO They are on the list now!!!!
I'll be calling later this week!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The first rule of track pads is: There's no such thing as a dual-purpose pad. Run track pads at the track and street pads on the street. The temperature ranges are so different that neither pad will work well outside of its intended range. Street pads disintegrate at track temps and track pads just don't work at street temps. Swapping pads on a C5 takes less than 20 minutes, including lifting the car in the air. Do yourself a favor and swap pads before each event.
I believe this used to be true with older race compounds but much advancement has been made and I don't believe this to be true anymore. Even pad vendors are saying you can run race pads on the street these days. Since I bought my car in October I've run nothing but race pads and R-comps every where I go. 3,500 miles later and 6 track days I've had no issues.

I've ran XP12's / XP10's for my first 3 events and 3,000 street miles. I never had ANY issue with stopping when cold and they held up well at the track running in the Advanced group with chin. In fact, I felt they had more cold bite than the stock pads. However, I will say that they squealed like crazy under light stopping. If you applied more pressure they wouldn't squeal. This was using anti-squeal too.

The last 3 events and 500 street miles I've been running RP2s/XP10's and they worked fine too. I just found those to be more rotor aggresive, especially when cold but didn't find them to squeal as much around town. BUT they still stopped when pressed and stopped fast. I have them on the car now. Even cold they stop WAY better than my '12 Fusion on stock pads.

Pretty impressive advancements IMO. Now if you're running a SUPER aggressive race pad then I couldn't tell you how those would work but for what I'm running they work fine.

Quick Reply: How loud are the Carbotech XP series pads?