Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto -05 vs. 710 in autocross?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Nitto -05 vs. 710 in autocross?

Are we talking about a huge difference? Thinking of going 315s all the way around and running a street tire class.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the answer to your question as I haven't run both to compare.

At the Dixie National Tour in March most the street tire class trophies were taken on Hankooks and Toyos. For some reason all the STU guys were running Dunlops.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20Results.pdf
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I really like the NTO5 but they need some heat to get working so in the only autocross I ran, with a very very well setup suspension, I was seriously lacking grip and it was all in the tires. On a road course I am sure they would warm up nicely, something I never did and did not complete my roll bar design. On the street, I liked them very well also.

V710, Hoosier A6, etc, much better choice though they are not really street tires(I have driven to events on super soft tires like these but I would not plan to drive very far on them, the NTO5 is better in that regard)

Rick
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Are we talking about a huge difference? Thinking of going 315s all the way around and running a street tire class.
You better check your rules, even though they are dot tires, I don't know any organizer that lets anyone run 710 in a street tire class.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
You better check your rules, even though they are dot tires, I don't know any organizer that lets anyone run 710 in a street tire class.

Ha, I know that 710s are not street tires. If I ran them i woud run XP or something else.

There is a lot of hype about these new street tire class. But from what I can see of the s200 guys, the "Street Tires" they run are not street tires at all. They have to trailer them to the events and such.

I was going to run up against these guys with normal real street tires... The Nittos. And see if I could hold my own.

Sounds like I need to stick with A6s for autocrossing and street tires for streets.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

DOT is allowed but the classes also have tread wear limits, i.e, 40 is not allowed in some classes, basically a race tire with a couple of grooves to pass the DOT requirement and far to soft for the street.

I have ran and been fast in higher rated tires but it took a great deal of setup and practice yet never as fast as the super sticky stuff.

If serious about winning or just placing as high as you can, dependent on class, separate tires for events is best.

For the track I have had good success with R888 tires I have driven on the street a bit but they need warmed up to much for autocrosses, in my opinion(I have autocrossed on and off for 40+ years and have done a ton of track time, HPDE and TT, fat A6 tires are great for TT

Rick
Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the new Road Tire classes (RTR, RTF, RTA for Rear, Front, and All wheel drive) that the SCCA created this year the minimum treadwear is 140. So their idea of a street tire is 140 and up. I have Khumo XS for now but will switch to a Hankook RS3 when the Khumos are done.

Last edited by SteveC68; 05-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the nitto you would want would be th Nt-01 if you are comparing to the Kumo as it is the Nitto R compound. that is what I will be running next race!!

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto -05 vs. 710 in autocross?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitto -05 vs. 710 in autocross?