Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance clutch fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default performance clutch fluid?

we all use good brake fluid, and engine oil, but is there anything we can use other than the DOT 4 for the clutch fluid?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't know what the factory stuff is in a C5, but the C6 comes with GM Super DOT 4 in it, while the brakes come with DOT 3.

Most of us that track the cars probably just use whatever DOT 4 they're using for the brake system.

Just because it's cheaper and I've had good experience with it, I use Prestone DOT 4 in the clutch even though I run Motul RBF 600 in the brakes. I use my fellow Ranger Ranger's method to keep the clutch fluid clean.

So....any good DOT 4 should work for you, and it's probably most convenient to just use whatever you use in your brakes.

Like for the brakes, never put silicone DOT 5 in there!!!

Bob
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
we all use good brake fluid, and engine oil, but is there anything we can use other than the DOT 4 for the clutch fluid?
I use the Castrol SRF. Pricey but then since I also use it for the braking system which I don't have to bleed nearly as much, it's worth it.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Motul RBF 600
In both
Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Motul RBF 600 in the brakes and Castrol SRF in the clutch. I used Motul in the clutch ONE TIME and it failed the seals in my Quartermaster QR1 race bearing in 3 laps...incompatible. So, now I use the two kinds.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have another thread on some Ferodo I used for clutch fluid & it failed - turns out it was OLD fluid, but the point is you should not automatically assume what works in the brake system is good in the clutch.

Apparently clutch rubber seals are not the same as brake rubber seals. Who knew?

I HAVE used Wilwood in the clutch & it's fine.

I may go back to the GM dot 4 if I can get it at a decent price. I like to chg it often.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I just got some ATE blue for the brakes, i figured i shouldnt try that in the clutch. lol. But it seems the DOT4 clutch stuff fails pretty quick
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
In both
Same here
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Motul 600 in both.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Given the clutch fluid doesn't see much of a temp problem...I'd say about any good brake fluid is fine. Flush it yearly for moisture issues and to purge any water in the line. Never heard of anyone boiling clutch fluid. What you run in the brakes should be more than fine for the clutch.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Given the clutch fluid doesn't see much of a temp problem...
Au contraire!!!!!

I don't know about the other gens, but as mentioned earlier the C6 clutch fluid put in at the factory is a Super DOT 4, but the brake system gets DOT 3.

The line from the C6 clutch fluid reservoir goes down by the exhaust manifold to the master cylinder beside the bell housing, then the line from the master goes into the bell housing to the slave cylinder (clutch actuator).

It's very hot down in that area and that's why the OE clutch fluid is of a higher boiling point than the that used in the brake system.

Guys driving on the street and drag racers rarely report any problems with boiling brake fluid, but I see posts all the time that they have clutch problems from dirty or overtemped clutch fluid.

Bob
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 5300 miles, my clutch fluid was pure black and clutch action was grabby as hell. Had to do the Ranger method 3 times to flush it with Motul 600 and now it's smooth again. Way easier to drive. In Canada, GM calls for Dot 4 Brake fluid instead of the GM clutch fluid, so I figured the Motul was OK.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got some ATE blue for the brakes, i figured i shouldnt try that in the clutch. lol. But it seems the DOT4 clutch stuff fails pretty quick
Why wouldn't ATE blue work? That's what I use for clutch fluid.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Why wouldn't ATE blue work? That's what I use for clutch fluid.
like others posted here, ive heard of people using performance brake fluid, and it ruining the parts
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like others posted here, ive heard of people using performance brake fluid, and it ruining the parts
Is it aftermarket parts or C5 or earlier?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure you're reaching the right conclusion from the testimonies in this thread. Two people are mentioning problems: one used a specific kind of brake fluid (Motul) and had problems with his (aftermarket) clutch. He then started using a different kind of brake fluid (Castrol) and it's now working fine.

Another person mentions using very old (Ferodo) fluid and it failing in the clutch. He is also now using a different kind of brake fluid (Wilwood) with good results.

From this thread it seems everybody is using brake fluid (often the same fluid they use for their brakes) in their clutch with no problems.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sebdavid
I'm not sure you're reaching the right conclusion from the testimonies in this thread. Two people are mentioning problems: one used a specific kind of brake fluid (Motul) and had problems with his (aftermarket) clutch. He then started using a different kind of brake fluid (Castrol) and it's now working fine.

Another person mentions using very old (Ferodo) fluid and it failing in the clutch. He is also now using a different kind of brake fluid (Wilwood) with good results.

From this thread it seems everybody is using brake fluid (often the same fluid they use for their brakes) in their clutch with no problems.

IMO most high perf american aftermkt fluids are going to work & also agree that high temp is better due to routing of line near header & ESPECIALLY if you run real headers.

The newer GM dot 4 may be fine also, have not tried it.

CLEAN is paramount.

Get notified of new replies

To performance clutch fluid?

Quick Reply: performance clutch fluid?