Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock mufflers vs. straight pipes gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default stock mufflers vs. straight pipes gains

I'm building a track only 99 FRC. My question is does removing the mufflers and running straight pipes reduce power, add power or make virtually no difference? The car will be getting headers, x pipe and a tune before returning to the track. The forum seems conflicted on the issue based on the searches I did. If there is no performance gain then I'd leave the mufflers in and take the 40 lb weight penalty in hopes that I could run at a local track with noise restrictions. I've considered straight pipes and then when the budget recovers picking up some supertrapps. Thanks in advance,
Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
I'm building a track only 99 FRC. My question is does removing the mufflers and running straight pipes reduce power, add power or make virtually no difference? The car will be getting headers, x pipe and a tune before returning to the track. The forum seems conflicted on the issue based on the searches I did. If there is no performance gain then I'd leave the mufflers in and take the 40 lb weight penalty in hopes that I could run at a local track with noise restrictions. I've considered straight pipes and then when the budget recovers picking up some supertrapps. Thanks in advance,
first, YMMV depending on exhaust, engine, etc. My ls6, gained well over 30whp untuned. I went from a stockish exhaust (hollowed cats) to American racing headers (their racing 1-7/8s) into 3" dumps. I was shocked, and told the tuner to take timing out of the top end (st-2 car). What mufflers do you have now?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Eventually is stock (LS1) except for the custom air intake that was built to accommodate laying the radiator forward. I'll be installing kooks 1 7/8s headers w/ kooks x pipe and then getting a tune done.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I made 10more rwtq with just my cut outs open vs modded ti mufflers. This was on my 416 with 3/4 long tubes, no cats
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing that it will be good for 5-7 hp on the top end for my car and 30 or so pounds off the **** end of the car. Any thoughts on the impact on torque in the lower rpm range?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Increased on mine, but i have more cubes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My '99 stock LS1 with headers etc. dyno'd 346 with ZO6 Ti mufflers and 352 with straight pipes, but I don't think it was really that much since they were done at 2 different shops and the accuracy of the higher reading dyno is in question. I'd run the mufflers if I could hear the engine during a race.

Get notified of new replies

To stock mufflers vs. straight pipes gains

Quick Reply: stock mufflers vs. straight pipes gains