Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Cost In car Videos with data

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default Low Cost In car Videos with data

Last year I picked up a Flip HD Camcorder (made/discontinued by Cisco) for $78. This year I added a Trackmaster Data Application to my Android phone for $8, a Trackmaster Bluetooth App for connecting a Bluetooth GPS receiver for $4, a QStarz GPS receiver with 10 Hz updates for $56 and the Race Render video processing software for $35. This is my first production of a session I ran at a BMW HPDE at Watkins Glen last Sunday (5/6/12). Once I learn how to use the software a little better and establish some clear points in the video that I can use to synch the data I think it will do a very good job. For a cost of $181 it seems to work very well.

A couple of issues cropped up while on track and I need to figure out how to deal with them before the next event. The console storage compartment gets too hot for the phone so the phone was alerting me that it was overheated. Taping the phone to the carbon fiber console next to the Traction Control button solves that problem but the power cord tends to get in the way and it really isn't held in place all that well with the tape. The GPS receiver seemed to do well in the cup holder but it got pretty hot. I could mount the phone to the windshield but the bracket leaves something to be desired as far as gripping the phone in a high vibration environment. I don't want the phone flying out of a window in a high G corner.

Bill
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Velcro is your friend. You should be able to mount your equipment where ever you need it securely with enough sticky back velcro.

Dog
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That worked really well. Looks like a fun track.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by meldog21
Velcro is your friend. You should be able to mount your equipment where ever you need it securely with enough sticky back velcro.

Dog
I thought of that but I have seen some of that stuff leave a residue. Don't want to have that happen with the console. It might work in the windshield mount if there is enough room between the phone and the mount back. Other issue is what do I do with my holster attachment when I want to have the phone with me at other times.

Bill
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

That looks good Bill! I have the Trackmaster app also but have not used it yet. I may have to try that Race Render software.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

One thing about the Race Render software is it will not support the MP4 video that my LG Spectrum phone produces. Works fine with the MP4 file from the Flip camera but there is something different about the cell phone file. The phone also gave me problems with my PC video software until I downloaded some special codecs and I can't link it through my networked BlueRay player to my HDTV. My plan had been to use the phone to capture both video and data but that hasn't worked out yet.

Another thing that needs to go to the track with you is your laptop. There is only so much data storage in these small cameras and you can easily fill it if you run several long sessions. That happened to me on 4/27 and 5/4 when we had Open Track days for the Instructors. The Flip camera stopped recording somewhere during my third session due the memory being totally filled.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

10-4 on the storage issue. How close in laptime is the Trackmaster to say an AMB transponder? Is it like a tenth off or a second off?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
DannyBoyC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video and fun track.

How well does the TrackMaster app work with just using the phone's GPS? Is it mandatory to use an external GPS tracker?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6
Nice video and fun track.

How well does the TrackMaster app work with just using the phone's GPS? Is it mandatory to use an external GPS tracker?

Thanks!
The first day I tried it I was having user issues getting the Bluetooth to synch to the GPS receiver so I just let the app run off the phones GPS with the 1 Hz update. It sort of worked. The one time I ran it combined the first 3 laps into one since it missed the start/finish split marker for some reason. The next two laps were spot on (50 or 60 ft difference in a track length of ~ 5360 to 5400 meters) and I got a 2:10 and 2:08 lap. Then a couple of 2:12s with a good track distance. The last two laps were combined into one. I can see in the data where the mark was missed and all I would have to do is go in and put 0s in part of one row and massage parts of one column using an Excel formula of the data matrix but why go through the hassle when it never missed a beat when using the Bluetooth GPS unit set to 5 Hz.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Bowchickawowow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Trackmaster you can configure it to record video in the settings menu. That way you only need your phone to record video and take data at the same time. There are mounts that "squeeze" your phone and stick to the inside of the front windshield that are pretty cheap and effective. You will likely need a 16MB or larger memory card to keep from filling up (~$35+). I ran mine off the internal GPS and it would get "lost" at least 1 or 2 laps per session and show that I went off track and came back on at 100mph+ . It also makes the data overlay choppy since you are only sampling at 1hz. I'm grabbing an external bluetooth gps (5hz) for the my next session and I expect this setup to be pretty legit for the money.

Bill, hope this helps in some small way so that I can say a tried (although minimally) to repay you for all the racing advice that I have absorbed from you by reading your many posts.

Mike
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

A piece of Dynamat under the center console should deflect a lot of the heat.

Gene
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
For a cost of $181 it seems to work very well.

A couple of issues cropped up while on track and I need to figure out how to deal with them before the next event.
Great video for the money.

This might blow your budget, but this is where I keep the netbook that does my datalogging: http://www.partstaxi.com/partlocator...catalogid=5402
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bowchickawowow
With Trackmaster you can configure it to record video in the settings menu. That way you only need your phone to record video and take data at the same time. There are mounts that "squeeze" your phone and stick to the inside of the front windshield that are pretty cheap and effective. You will likely need a 16MB or larger memory card to keep from filling up (~$35+). I ran mine off the internal GPS and it would get "lost" at least 1 or 2 laps per session and show that I went off track and came back on at 100mph+ . It also makes the data overlay choppy since you are only sampling at 1hz. I'm grabbing an external bluetooth gps (5hz) for the my next session and I expect this setup to be pretty legit for the money.

Bill, hope this helps in some small way so that I can say a tried (although minimally) to repay you for all the racing advice that I have absorbed from you by reading your many posts.

Mike
I have tried several mounts. Verizon had two that fit my phone at their store. The one that had the adjustable grip had a lot of movement in the arm so the phone bounced around so I went with the one that snapped around the phone with a shorter arm. It was designed specifically for my phone but I have to pull the holster adapter off each time I want to mount the phone to the windshield. I also got a couple from Amazon but returned them due to various reasons. I was thinking of trying the one shown on the Trackmaster web site.

I have used the phone to take video using the application but it only works in the autocrossing mode and not in lapping mode. If used in autocrossing mode it records each lap separately and they have to be joined when the video is post processed. I posted a request in the Trackmaster forums that allowing phone video during lapping should be on their list of improvements.

I am working on another video where the lap length is 3 times what it should be so I can see how the software handles the error.

Bill
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Posting mainly to subscribe, but I downloaded the Race Render earlier this week. I will try to see how it works with my Harry's Lap timer info and my .mov vid. I think the 1 Hz rate is a no go for sure.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Bill, Great video! I really like the HD view and matching (embedded) track and data. However, I lack the technical expertise to make it happen, so I will ask my wife and kids for help with that
We plan to enter the SVRA race next year (2013), so maybe we'll see ya there.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Bill, Great video! I really like the HD view and matching (embedded) track and data. However, I lack the technical expertise to make it happen, so I will ask my wife and kids for help with that
We plan to enter the SVRA race next year (2013), so maybe we'll see ya there.
I am sure you will be able to do this. It really isn't that difficult.

I think the biggest technical challenge is to remember to wave your hand in front of the camera when you go by a split marker or the start/finish line or have some other way to synch the video to the data. I noticed just looking at the video view outside the car gives too wide of a range to get things accurately synched. If you are using more than one camera it will be harder to do.

Bill
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a nice setup. Google "RAM Mount" I use them on motorcycles and they are rock solid. WTF with the guard rails at Watkins, how many guys trash their cars their every year?

Get notified of new replies

To Low Cost In car Videos with data

Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Looks like a nice setup. Google "RAM Mount" I use them on motorcycles and they are rock solid. WTF with the guard rails at Watkins, how many guys trash their cars their every year?
Not that many. The guard rails actually make the track safer since they keep you on the track. There are lots of run off places although things get a little tight at the top of the Esses where you can't see over the hill. In most places there is enough room between the edge of the pavement and guardrail for a car to drive through. If you watch the video you will see a lot of Speedy Dry in the middle of Turn 10 the left hand turn before the right hand that leads onto the Front Straight. That was the cleanup from a Z06 that dumped its engine there last Saturday. He spun into the run off area and then watched as several other cars spun in his oil and slid past him. One of them went all the way to the wall which is fair distance away from the pavement.

The big thing we teach students is if you run off track or sense you are running off track is to resist the urge to turn the steering tighter and to slowly let off the gas and steer straight until the car has slowed. Some people in an attempt to keep from running off the track on one side will add more steering input, lift off the gas suddenly and immediately spin the car into the opposite guard rail.

It is good training for driving on the streets and highways where you have to be aware of obstacles on both sides of the road.

Bill
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did ride the track on a motorcycle about 10 years ago while working as an instructor with Keith Code. I never went back, bikes were only allowed there for instruction days, no open track or racing. I guess since most of my track time is on bikes I'm conditioned to hate the guard rails!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I am getting better using the Race Render 2 software. Doing much better synching the video and data with the start//finish line. Here are a couple of videos from the GVC BMWCCA driving school on 5/4.

This one was at 9:20 in the morning.

This one was at 1:30 in the afternoon.

You can hear the humming of my full tread R888s. They sound like 4 sirens, especially under braking.

Bill

Quick Reply: Low Cost In car Videos with data