Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never had Kumhos

Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Never had Kumhos

I have always raced T1 on ho-hos. I was actually having problems conveniently getting ho-hos so I decided to order a set of Kumho V710's to try. Onlinetires.com within a short drive got me these. This is how Kumho individually wraps and bands their tires to the customer. They seem to take pride in their tires and want to protect them in shipping. Is this attention to detail needed? I don't know but I have been buying race tires for a couple decades and I have never felt like a manufacturer gave a rat's a$$. Well it appears Kumho does. Kudos to Kumho.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've bought my fair share of Kumhos and never received any packaged like that.

I think you will like the way the 710 holds up through a session. I think they can take a little more heat than the A6.

I like to reverse the rotation on mine every other day. This helps keep the joints from separating I'm told.

Last edited by Han Solo; 05-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I found the 710's to be extremely predictable, even after numerous heat cycles. They didn't have the initial grip of the A6's but they didn't go away like the A6's either.

I used them for years until Hoosier started the contingency program back in '08 or '09.

Let us know what you find with them. After Hoosier has made the days of payloads of tires scarce, the 710 is certainly a very viable option.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have always raced T1 on ho-hos. I was actually having problems conveniently getting ho-hos so I decided to order a set of Kumho V710's to try. Onlinetires.com within a short drive got me these. This is how Kumho individually wraps and bands their tires to the customer. They seem to take pride in their tires and want to protect them in shipping. Is this attention to detail needed? I don't know but I have been buying race tires for a couple decades and I have never felt like a manufacturer gave a rat's a$$. Well it appears Kumho does. Kudos to Kumho.

I never got any wrapped like that. I was always happy if they were less than 2 years old.

Dates on yours?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

I tried a set of 710s last year and am still running them! They are holding up great, they have about 22+ sessions on them and the rears are not even to the wear bars yet. I think they stick as good or better than the R6s. Just my .02 JD
Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
I never got any wrapped like that. I was always happy if they were less than 2 years old.

Dates on yours?
oldest tire is july 2011. I really like the bead finish on the kumho's. HoHo is terrible with all kinds of casting flash on the beads. That makes for leaky Ho-Ho's. I solved tires moving on wheels by mounting tires with hairspray or beadsealer when I get a really bad one. I got my own tire machine. Every racer needs one life is so convenient when you want to flip tires.

Oh I have tried to order kumhos before but they were on national back order every time I tried. I got a theory. I asked the supplier why 710's are hard to get. His reply was kumho makes intermittent huge batchs of tires and they (supplier) try and buy as many as they think they will sell. So perhps your old tires were the end of a run bought late before they ran out. That does not bode well for running Kumhos because we all know fresh rubber is magic. HoHo seems to be in production constantly. I don't think I have bought a HoHo more than 6 months old and I'm pretty sure most of what I buy is only 3 months old but don't quote me on that since I never really bothered to keep track. If Kumho does batch process maybe that explains why some people really think these tires are great and others are not impressed. New "Old" rubber is never impressive.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 05-11-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I tried a set of 710s last year and am still running them! They are holding up great, they have about 22+ sessions on them and the rears are not even to the wear bars yet. I think they stick as good or better than the R6s. Just my .02 JD
Geez that's great. I don't expect anywhere near your life on the 710's. They have a wear rating like the A6 Ho-Ho and those are only fast for one race and then OK for Sunday's race unless someone else is running new stickers. New to one race old will cost you a 1-2secs on tracks around here. After a weekend the A6's are good for practice. They are still fast but not race pace fast. I'm cheap I'll run mine to the cords getting progressively slower. If it gets too painful I'll dump them for new rubber = magic!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

That silver wrapping must be something new.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh I have tried to order kumhos before but they were on national back order every time I tried. I got a theory. I asked the supplier why 710's are hard to get. His reply was kumho makes intermittent huge batchs of tires and they (supplier) try and buy as many as they think they will sell. HoHo seems to be in production constantly.
That's why I don't run Kumhos. They really aren't dedicated to the business and by mid-season you might not be able to get tires. I had one blister really bad on me and I couldn't get a replacement, so in effect four tires were useless.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geez that's great. I don't expect anywhere near your life on the 710's. They have a wear rating like the A6 Ho-Ho and those are only fast for one race and then OK for Sunday's race unless someone else is running new stickers. New to one race old will cost you a 1-2secs on tracks around here. After a weekend the A6's are good for practice. They are still fast but not race pace fast. I'm cheap I'll run mine to the cords getting progressively slower. If it gets too painful I'll dump them for new rubber = magic!
That is exactly my experience with the A6.

The Kuhmos last longer, but JD is using them for DE.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found that V710s don't have the surgical preciseness of Hoosier R 6s but keep their peak performance longer i.e the full 16-18 heat cycles that the manufacturer claims, unlike Hoosiers which seem to start to drop off almost immediately. On my car they seem to perform just as well as the Hoosiers in all out grip but aren't as pleasant to drive.

Don't really know if an Autocross run counts as a full heat cycle ( I suspect not) but in Time-Attack, each 5 lap run does, which means V710s are not all that suitable. OTOH for full out wheel to wheel racing or longer HPDE sessions, they are great.

Get notified of new replies

To Never had Kumhos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never had Kumhos