Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMFG - Atlanta Motorsports Park is awesome!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default OMFG - Atlanta Motorsports Park is awesome!

OK, the amenities are still in the "not built state"
The drop off from the track surface to the dirt is a couple inches in places, some of the gators could be a bit longer.

But the track is AWESOME!!!!
They are deadly serious about the 98db limit though - EVERY corner station has a sound meter. Its a ZONING limitation so if you go there, just deal with it using supertrapps or other restriction to quiet it down.
add on turndowns are frowned on for some reason. I'll try to get some of Jeremy's time tomorrow to get their resoning.

BUT THE TRACK IS AWESOME!
You are constantly working the steering and I think I proved in an 2012 Impala LT the faster cars can pass anywhere.
I'm working on my videos from today - remember this is a ssslllloooowwww frontwheel drive understeers like no ones business can't turn off traction control grocery getter.
I still had a BLAST!

Tracks Unlimited is back out there in 30 days and spots are still available!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
1stz51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea definately no rest to ungrip the wheel to relax your fingers for a few seconds. never could figure out turn 6,I would nail it 1 outta 3 entries, but otherwise it is an Awesome track. with the wife with me(she went shopping sat.)haha!! I did not even attempt sun with the rain. she would not of had fun in the mud
Old 05-13-2012, 03:43 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

About noon today they called it, the drains in the dip before turn 6 filled and the lake began forming. The 9:20 Blue group (and some reds) went out before the lake crossed the track. I got in a few laps in the rain so I could see the same conditions a student would. The Geen group got a couple laps in before the lake started to encroach on the line and they were black flagges off the track.

If you were scheduled to drive on Sunday watch your email in a couple of weeks for a VERY special deal from the Track and Tracks Unlimited.

Now I have a cunondrum - Sould I instruct at AMP or Road Atl fathers day weekend????

And as an FYI to Novice drivers and never been on the track because "I have a Convertible":
Contact Tracks Unlimited and see if they will allow you to run the Fathers day weekend. My student on Saturday had a 98 Convertible and he had a BLAST!

Its a hike from my house a little over 90 min, but man what a track. I've been on nothing like it. If you live in the Atlanta - Chatanoga corridor, north GA mountain ares - check out the memberships as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching this sage for two years or more?

We are hoping to get our novice butts there. Depends on if the THIRD motor gets done. Darrel Gabriel is building this one and it will be ready 1st week of June.. Tight, but it will ready to run.

98Db sounds pretty low?

I would hate to spend $500 and be shown the door?

Car has Moroso racing mufflers and was not all that loud, but ears aren't meters either???

Any feel there??
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

It's 98 db or go home. Can always have it checked prior to registering. Most race shops or muffler shops will have a db meter.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought Tracks Unlimited did an awesome job with what they were given. I am guessing it was a logistical nightmare running the first event at a new track. I was also impressed with the AMP staff. From what I saw the track is tough and doesn't have much runoff.

Last edited by The Panther; 05-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
OK, the amenities are still in the "not built state"
The drop off from the track surface to the dirt is a couple inches in places, some of the gators could be a bit longer.

But the track is AWESOME!!!!
They are deadly serious about the 98db limit though - EVERY corner station has a sound meter. Its a ZONING limitation so if you go there, just deal with it using supertrapps or other restriction to quiet it down.
add on turndowns are frowned on for some reason. I'll try to get some of Jeremy's time tomorrow to get their resoning.

BUT THE TRACK IS AWESOME!
You are constantly working the steering and I think I proved in an 2012 Impala LT the faster cars can pass anywhere.
I'm working on my videos from today - remember this is a ssslllloooowwww frontwheel drive understeers like no ones business can't turn off traction control grocery getter.
I still had a BLAST!

Tracks Unlimited is back out there in 30 days and spots are still available!

Me and my gf came out to watch and both thought the "red sled" was great! She could not believe it was a rental... she really got a kick out of that.

Originally Posted by 1stz51
yea definately no rest to ungrip the wheel to relax your fingers for a few seconds. never could figure out turn 6,I would nail it 1 outta 3 entries, but otherwise it is an Awesome track. with the wife with me(she went shopping sat.)haha!! I did not even attempt sun with the rain. she would not of had fun in the mud

Thanks again for the laps in the passenger seat.. VERY busy track.. was fun though!

Originally Posted by TJM
I have been watching this sage for two years or more?

We are hoping to get our novice butts there. Depends on if the THIRD motor gets done. Darrel Gabriel is building this one and it will be ready 1st week of June.. Tight, but it will ready to run.

98Db sounds pretty low?

I would hate to spend $500 and be shown the door?

Car has Moroso racing mufflers and was not all that loud, but ears aren't meters either???

Any feel there??

I know a guy with a porsche was black flagged about 3pm sat and was told he could not run anymore. He made a statement basiclly saying he did not plan to ever return to amp. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here... just saying what happened.

Amp has issues to deal with... Roebling road and road atlanta have the noise issue as well.

As long as they are clear and up front about it, I see no problem.

And you can get a db meter from radio shack for ~$40
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
It's 98 db or go home. Can always have it checked prior to registering. Most race shops or muffler shops will have a db meter.
From what distance do they take their readings ??
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The corner workers apparently all have meters. They get a "bonus" for catching somebody. This was announced in the driver meeting.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:46 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by WNeal
From what distance do they take their readings ??
50 ft from the track.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hate to see such highly regulated just on sound
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
50 ft from the track.
Will most likely keep 10/10ths from taking our events there
Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Will most likely keep 10/10ths from taking our events there
Yes, when you lose at least half of the regulars it really cuts down on the returns. I wonder how many promoters will be able to support the track? This is not good PR for prospective HPDE organizations.

I wonder how many get sent home before the news gets through the grapevine?

Last edited by SouthernSon; 05-13-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Lime Rock is 89 db, Laguna Seca is 92 db. I'm not saying that AMP shouldn't try to raise and or modify the sound limit, but they aren't alone in the fight against sound requirements.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Surprisingly easy to bust it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...he-c6-z06.html

Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by southern_son
Wink Wink I didn't see that.... If you make it you make it AMP won't care.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
hate to see such highly regulated just on sound
Once again - its a ZONING regulation. If they keep it at 98db around the track the neighbors will have in the 60's (IIRC) and no basis for a nuisance complaint.

One more thing its the A-weight scale so a booming exhaust that generates frequncies under 500 hz should do fine.

You can bitch and moan all you want - its 98DB, nothing the track can do about it. Lots of CA tracks have lower limits

FYI - I know of two cars that had to make some minor exhaust mods, and one person that wanted to complain, and complain, and complain

My plan is when the 383 gets dyno'd for its annual tech I'll be having them check the sound.

Last edited by jaa1992; 05-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OMFG - Atlanta Motorsports Park is awesome!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My concern is the success of the track. I want to see more tracks available for fun weekends. A new track is always fun. However, when a track promoter looks at booking an event he has to figure how many cars will show up to help him get well above his break-even point. If he has several regulars that have a exhaust noise above the track limit then he has to figure he may not meet or, at least, get well above that B/E point. Therefore, the promoter will look to other tracks that are more inclusive. I, personally, will hold off making the trip until I get a really good reading on the exhaust note on the mods I have made. Nothing personal on the track as I have been looking forward to it. I just hope the track owners understand the extent the publicity by way of the grapevine can greatly impact their prospects for success. Head hunting DB busters with incentives sounds a little over board to me. I wonder what is being posted on the Porsche boards by the driver that was sent home?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I had that concern about the success of the track as well. Doesn't seem like it will get the top level racing series based on the configuration, but Roebling survives and almost anything is better than Roebling imo with amp certainly qualifying. We will see when NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA and PCA run there how racers will fare. I think amp are working hard to come up with practical solutions for the noise. I know I will break eventually, the track is simply too close and looks like too much fun to pass up on.

The southeast is not short on people to come to track events. AMP will do fine I think.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
I wonder what is being posted on the Porsche boards by the driver that was sent home?
Not to be nit picky, but since I mentioned it, I want to make sure the correct information was being posted and I did not communicate that very well.

He was not sent home. He was black flagged and told he can't run unless he fixes his exhaust. He did not want to fool with it, so he decided to leave.

But, you make a valid point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OMFG - Atlanta Motorsports Park is awesome!