Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a new swaybar over the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installed a new swaybar over the weekend

I installed a new front swaybar over the weekend. It's a 35mm diameter hollow bar from Strano Performance and is two position adjustable. He has 2 different diameters (33mm and 35mm) and offers both in solid or hollow. I am competing in "Stock" in SCCA (2006 Z51) so front or rear bar is allowed but not both. Overall the bar was pretty easy to change out with the only difficult part working with the stock end links that you have to use a hex wrench in the stud and a combination wrench on the nut. It took me 2 hours by myself, but I'm slow. I should have taken some pics, but by the time I thought about it I was already covered in brake dust and the wife was starting to give me the eye about taking too much time. Unfortunately the next event isn't until June 3rd, so I'll have to wait until then for the results.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Let's see some pictures. Are you saying that the front bar is adjustable? You bought a 35mm. By adjusting it, can it be a little softer then a 35?

thanks,
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I'd get some better end links. I have the older Addco ( Strano Bar ) 32mm on the C5Z and it came with nice hiem joint end links. They are adjustble but the bar istelf is not.

I'm guessing there's going to be some flex in there using OEM links with that big hinking bar.

Keep those poly bushings lubed as well. The big bar will squeeze that stuff out and bind if you don't maintain it well.

Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

In stock you have to use the stock end links. Yeah the bar comes with poly bushings and two tubes of lube. I used one tube on each bushing. I thought about drilling a small hole in each bushing and the bushing holder and then adding a zerk fitting, but I blew that off. If binding becomes an issue I will do that mod later. The bar has two holes for the end links on either end. It is adjustable, but probably not between runs unless you have access to a lift. If I feel industrious later I'll pull a wheel and take a pic.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Ok here are a couple pics of the sway bar.

The first pic shows the end link which unfortunately obscures the more inward mounting hole. I have it on the softer of the two settings. The second pic shows the bar as it goes to the other side. The stock Z51 bar is straight across from one bushing to the other and doesn't have that same bend which could be for clearance in the C6 Z06, but I'm just guessing there.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by SteveC68
In stock you have to use the stock end links. Yeah the bar comes with poly bushings and two tubes of lube. I used one tube on each bushing. I thought about drilling a small hole in each bushing and the bushing holder and then adding a zerk fitting, but I blew that off. If binding becomes an issue I will do that mod later. The bar has two holes for the end links on either end. It is adjustable, but probably not between runs unless you have access to a lift. If I feel industrious later I'll pull a wheel and take a pic.
SCCA solo stock class you do NOT have to use stock end links.
(Unless they changed that this season and I missed it in the rule book )

Last edited by AverageVetteNut; 05-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try the stiffer settings and see how you like it. You can always soften it up, but you ought to experience full stiffness rather than wonder if it would have worked for you.

My unsolicited $.02.

Jim
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
SCCA solo stock class you do NOT have to use stock end links.
(Unless they changed that this season and I missed it in the rule book )
+1. One ARB (including end links and mounting brackets) is free in Solo stock classes.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
SteveC68
Instructor

Dang I must have just skimmed over the end links being allowed. Jim, I can just as easily put them on the stiffest setting at a later date. There is definitely a bell curve when it comes to sway bars and it is very possible to go too stiff which ultimately hurts performance. Did lots of testing in the late 1980's and early 1990's on very large sway bars and found out that too big is just as bad as too small if not worse. Didn't GM's active handling C4 test bed completely eliminate swaybars or at least had bars the size of coat hangers?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Dang I must have just skimmed over the end links being allowed. Jim, I can just as easily put them on the stiffest setting at a later date. There is definitely a bell curve when it comes to sway bars and it is very possible to go too stiff which ultimately hurts performance. Did lots of testing in the late 1980's and early 1990's on very large sway bars and found out that too big is just as bad as too small if not worse. Didn't GM's active handling C4 test bed completely eliminate swaybars or at least had bars the size of coat hangers?
If it helps, I've been doing some testing with ARB sizes on my AS car and the car keeps getting faster with a stiffer bar.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM
SteveC68
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltborg
If it helps, I've been doing some testing with ARB sizes on my AS car and the car keeps getting faster with a stiffer bar.
Then you are still on the upside of the curve.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Then you are still on the upside of the curve.
We'll find out in two weeks when I run the Lincoln Pro/Tour. Based on the last event I ran (Texas Pro), it could use more bar. It was still loose then, even on fresh tires. I'm not sure how your car compares to my C5, but I'm guessing with the extra power, you could use the extra front stiffness.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by ltborg
How big is the bar you're running now? Also since you said you're running AS, I'm going to assume you're running the 275 tire up front? Wasn't sure if you could squeeze the 295 up there, and if you did, if it helped. I know that the 32mm bar up front on my C5Z doesn't like the 275/40 as much as the 295/35.

Last edited by AverageVetteNut; 05-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

I'm running stock sized 245s up front in a street tire class. That was the reason I went with the hollow bar over the solid 35mm and why I went with the softer setting. When I wear through these Ecsta XS's I plan on going to a 265 (Hankook RS3) front 305 rear but still a street tire.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
ltborg
Drifting

How big is the bar you're running now? Also since you said you're running AS, I'm going to assume you're running the 275 tire up front? Wasn't sure if you could squeeze the 295 up there, and if you did, if it helped. I know that the 32mm bar up front on my C5Z doesn't like the 275/40 as much as the 295/35.
I ran the 275/295 A6 setup last year, but would run the 295/315 A6 setup if you wanted to run Hoosiers. This year I am running the Goodyear Eagle RS/AC and not the Hoosier A6 (full disclosure: I work for Goodyear). For the Goodyears, I run 275/275 since the tires are extremely big for the size stamping. My stack of 275 Goodyears is as tall as my stack of 295/315 Hoosiers.

As for the bar, it's the Pfadt SS bar (which I believe they stopped making). I've got a 33mm hollow coming with the expectation that I might go to the 35mm hollow. I was going to get a 33mm solid, but those were out of stock and the rate is pretty close to the 35mm hollow so I'd take the weight savings if it came down to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
ltborg
Drifting

I'm running stock sized 245s up front in a street tire class. That was the reason I went with the hollow bar over the solid 35mm and why I went with the softer setting. When I wear through these Ecsta XS's I plan on going to a 265 (Hankook RS3) front 305 rear but still a street tire.
Street tires often (but not always) make the car looser than slicks so you could probably run more bar if you wanted.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Ah, ok... yes, I should've stated that I AM running A6s and that's why mine behaves as such.

I don't think they make that SS bar anymore either.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed a new swaybar over the weekend

Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I installed a new front swaybar over the weekend. It's a 35mm diameter hollow bar from Strano Performance

He is still in business ????
I remember many years ago, like 10, I ordered something, and he didn't have money to pay the distributor. Or his CC was no good. It was really strange.

I ordered an SLP exhaust through him, went to SLP to pick it up, and they wouldn't release it, because it wasn't paid for. And natually I paid him by CC, and I had to wait at SLP for awhile until he straightened up. I did eventually get the exhaust. Maybe it was 15 years ago.......
Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I can't speak for things that long ago, but I've never had any issues and nothing but top-notch service and support and I've been going to him for 6 years now.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for things that long ago, but I've never had any issues and nothing but top-notch service and support and I've been going to him for 6 years now.
Me, too. Sam is top notch.

Jim

Quick Reply: Installed a new swaybar over the weekend