Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

firesuit size?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default firesuit size?

So im ordering a suit online and not sure if i should get XL or XXL. If any of you are similar size please shoot me some advice. Im 6'5, 230 lbs with broad shoulders. Any certain brands better than others?

Thanks fellas
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
So im ordering a suit online and not sure if i should get XL or XXL. If any of you are similar size please shoot me some advice. Im 6'5, 230 lbs with broad shoulders. Any certain brands better than others?

Thanks fellas
Saferacer has a large selection. Check the sizing before ordering.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-suits/?cat=53

I think the G-Force is reasonable.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck Im only 6' 230 36x36 jeans could not find a long enough inseam, I use a 2 piece

this might help
http://www.saferacer.com/help.php?section=sizechart
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
good luck Im only 6' 230 36x36 jeans could not find a long enough inseam, I use a 2 piece

this might help
http://www.saferacer.com/help.php?section=sizechart
6' tall with 36" length jeans, my god man you got legs like a giraffe! I'm 6'3" with normal length legs and I only wear 32" length pants!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

XXL always get one size larger then you think you need.

necks tend to be too tight in many suits
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

ya, I just worry about the height. Im 6'5, but my waist is only 38" but my chest is 44-46" Pant size is a 38-40

Last edited by VGLNTE1; 05-17-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

racerparts whole sale has an offer right now to get a kit. Socks, gloves, 2 layer suit, and shoes all OMP for just 550$ So im trying to figure out the size....granted i cant get shoes either cuz I wear a 14-15. uuuuugh
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Werks
Drifting

racerparts whole sale has an offer right now to get a kit. Socks, gloves, 2 layer suit, and shoes all OMP for just 550$ So im trying to figure out the size....granted i cant get shoes either cuz I wear a 14-15. uuuuugh
Your only or maybe I should say best solution is probably going to be to go custom made on the suit and shoes. For that there are a couple of options:

On the high end you have Stand 21 http://www.stand21ca.com/?country=US&iso=US-CA that makes everything custom from helmets to shoes, has locations around the world and is used by a lot of the top racers and is not cheap but then again they cater to people who do this for a living.

On the more economical end of the spectrum you have companies like Awesome Racewear that makes more economical custom suits like this one http://awesomeracesuits.com/suits/standard.html which is only $369 for a single layer and $569 or a double layer suit, which is not bad! Hope this helps a bit
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy a suit because of a good price. A 2-piece suit will be cheaper than a 3 or 4 piece but it may not be very comfortable.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Don't buy a suit because of a good price. A 2-piece suit will be cheaper than a 3 or 4 piece but it may not be very comfortable.
I think that you are talking about a 2 layer, versus 3 or 4 layer suit I would also completely agree with you in that regards specifically in terms of weight of the suit and how hot it will be to wear. Less layer generally = a hotter & heavier suit, more layers generally = a cooler & lighter suit. However you do end up paying for it with prices of $200 to roughly $500 for 2 layer suits and 4 layer suits being up in the $1300 to around $1600 (for off the shelf suits). Either way though if you are on a budget imho this is one of those cases where something is clearly better than nothing!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

so a 4 layer suit is cooler and lighter than a 1 layer? explain that please
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Werks
Drifting

It has to do with the thickness of the layers. I'm no expert on this but as part of the certification process the suits are supposed to resist catching on fire and I believe only allow a certain amount of heat thought if exposed to direct flames for a specified amount of time (actually here is a link to a PDF explaining the testing process http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/24.pdf) In order to accomplish this with a single layer of material they have to use a much thicker layer of material (as in grams per meter square) than if they use thinner, multiple layers. Based on material costs it must be significantly cheaper for them to buy 1 or 2 thick layers of material versus 3 or 4 layers of thinner material. OMP prints their suit weights so lets use them as an example:

OMP Dart which is a 2 layer suit, the suit weighs 400 gram/meter square. Cost $649.00

http://www.ompamerica.com/racing/suits/ia01836/

OMP One Evo which is a 4 layer suit, the suit weighs 250 grams/meter square. Cost $1,599.00

http://www.ompamerica.com/racing/suits/ia01835/

They have the same certification (so offer the same level of fire protection to the wearer) the difference is that one is made from 2 layers of thicker Nomex and the other 4x layers of thinner Nomex. Based on the weigh of the suits mentioned above and on their web site the 4 layer suit will weigh approx. 40% less than the 2 layer suit.

Last edited by Werks; 05-17-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6-3, 235 lbs, 38 waist, 32 inseam. I got a Extra Large G-Force based on the sizing criteria and had to return it for an XX Large. The XL did fit good standing however was like a cheap hotel sitting in the race seat (no ballroom).

Although the double thickness raises the fire rating, it's almost unbearable at VIR in the middle of the summer...

Jim
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Werks
I think that you are talking about a 2 layer, versus 3 or 4 layer suit I would also completely agree with you
Correct, I was referring to layers not pieces.

Short answer, correct.

Remember the suits are fire resistant, not fire proof, they buy you time to get out of the car. Nomex balaclava and socks should also be worn.

If you can get to a shop that sells suits, try a two layer versus a three/four layer on, you will feel the difference instantly. The mistake people make is trying on the cheaper suits in a climate that isn't hot or the sun isn't beating down on them. A winter coat in the department store isn't too hot to try on, but you wouldn't want to walk outside on a 90 degree day for a casual stroll --all day.

If you can't find closer, I can recommend a shop 3 hours away from you that has plenty of suits in stock.

Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

hum, I see. Thanks guys. Not sure I wanna blow 1k+ on a suit. But I am thinking about the katech event late in July for 2 days....gonna be hooooooott
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

hum, I see. Thanks guys. Not sure I wanna blow 1k+ on a suit. But I am thinking about the katech event late in July for 2 days....gonna be hooooooott
Stay tuned to some VIP guests coming out to the event that Jason hinted in a recent post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...al-thread.html

Back on topic:

Save your money until after Katech Track Attack. You're going to learn a lot and be able to prioritize where and what to spend money on. There will be different thicknesses of suits you can feel there. I hear you on the spending $1K+ on a suit, but you could be even more remorseful spending half of that on something that feels like a horse blanket.

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks fellas
John at Northstar Motorsports has been a big help sizing a OMP Racing suit for me. He is also located near you.

John Ruther
Northstar Motorsports
28144 W. Industrial Avenue, Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
Orders: 800-356-2080
Tech: 847-304-5515
Fax: 847-304-5615
john@northstarmotorsports.com
www.northstarmotorsports.com

Get notified of new replies

To firesuit size?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Stay tuned to some VIP guests coming out to the event that Jason hinted in a recent post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...al-thread.html

Back on topic:

Save your money until after Katech Track Attack. You're going to learn a lot and be able to prioritize where and what to spend money on. There will be different thicknesses of suits you can feel there. I hear you on the spending $1K+ on a suit, but you could be even more remorseful spending half of that on something that feels like a horse blanket.

Mike
figured I would need one for the event?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Werks
Drifting

figured I would need one for the event?
They are usually not mandatory for HPDE type events, I know I was not planning on taking one with me to TrackAttack. Give me some jeans and a t-shirt if I can get away with it in the heat! I will not get on the track without a head restraint though!!! So if you are picking up gear for Track Attack and to possibly use for HPDE's after that (and do not have anything) obviously you want to start with a good quality helmet, then I'd say driving shoes then head restraint then gloves then suit last. If you are really worried about fires you can always get Nomex undies, shirt, socks and baclava as an in-between and for a relatively small amount of money (compared to a suit)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Werks
They are usually not mandatory for HPDE type events, I know I was not planning on taking one with me to TrackAttack. Give me some jeans and a t-shirt if I can get away with it in the heat! I will not get on the track without a head restraint though!!! So if you are picking up gear for Track Attack and to possibly use for HPDE's after that (and do not have anything) obviously you want to start with a good quality helmet, then I'd say driving shoes then head restraint then gloves then suit last. If you are really worried about fires you can always get Nomex undies, shirt, socks and baclava as an in-between and for a relatively small amount of money (compared to a suit)
I have the helmet and shoes. Def gonna need gloves since the car is stripped. Like a heat gun coming up from the shifter

Quick Reply: firesuit size?