Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a gear box have to b warmed up?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does a gear box have to b warmed up?

The reason I ask is my C5 manual gear box seems to always sound like Im stripping/grinding gears (especially into 4) just when I take it out to drive it after it is sitting for a few days, but after the second time or, lets say the second time I shift it into 3rd, its fine.. if I shift it real slow, it doesnt do it as much.. but 4th always does it...

is this normal with this tranny? otherwise its fine and shifts smooth.. and im not missing the shift, it just seems to me that the gear box needs some driving and shifting to warm it up and i just want to know if this is normal and others have had this experience..

thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Try Redline d4atf

Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

another big for Redline D4
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you think it is the tranny fluid that causes that? I was just driving it and it was better this time although I only got to third.. fourth always grinds the first time I shift into it.. I purposely short shifted and took my time with the shift into third and it was quiet dont have this problem with second gear

Ill flush the tranny fluid soon.. i dont think it is the fluid because it was changed recently.. but stock fluid

anyway im hoping everything is OK it seems to be it is just annoying
Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My transmission seems to shift notchy unitl warmed up. I used Amsoil Torque Drive.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
My transmission seems to shift notchy unitl warmed up. I used Amsoil Torque Drive.
I use the AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G) as well.

When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? The stock fluid shears low out of grade very rapidly. The stock fluid in my CTS-V (T56 tranny) sheared low out of grade in about 10k miles. I'd try changing to a good synthetic for track use as the first step. If that doesn't help, then I'd start looking at the other common failure modes in the tranny.

Forum vendor RKT56 has a good discussion on the stock T56. I don't use his tranny's so this is not an endorsement one way or another, but I think he has a very good article on his website.
http://rkt56.com/why-upgrade/

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Does a gear box have to b warmed up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does a gear box have to b warmed up?