Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet for autocross event???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Helmet for autocross event???

I was looking forward to entering an autocross event this weekend but found out today that the event requires a snell 2005 helmet but mine is a snell SA2000. Is it possible they will let me run with it? I would hate to go over there to find out at the last minute that I don't have the right hat.

If I can't use this one (I can't imagine how it could be better) is there a way I can get mine upgraded to the new spec? These things aren't cheap and I have only used it once in 8 years.

Matt
Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quickcat
I was looking forward to entering an autocross event this weekend but found out today that the event requires a snell 2005 helmet but mine is a snell SA2000. Is it possible they will let me run with it? I would hate to go over there to find out at the last minute that I don't have the right hat.

If I can't use this one (I can't imagine how it could be better) is there a way I can get mine upgraded to the new spec? These things aren't cheap and I have only used it once in 8 years.

Matt
Bell and G-Force were having sales on their 2005 spec helmets. Or you can just upgrade to a 2010 spec and not worry about it for a few years.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
....the event requires a snell 2005 helmet but mine is a snell SA2000. Is it possible they will let me run with it?....

Matt
I don't know who you're running with, but I'm quite certain that virtually very sponsoring organization out there is NOT going to pass your helmet unless it meets their specs!!!

Their insurance requires certain things, and in our litigious society the outfit running the event just can't let you run with a car that doesn't meet their tech specs, or a helmet that is out of date.

There's no way to get Snell to upgrade your old helmet. I recommend you get a new one.

Bob
Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check to see if a Snell M (motorcycle) is OK, depending on the sanctioning body it may be. Some HPDE and autocross events allow them. Maybe you have one or can borrow one if it is OK.

SA2010 helmets can be found for under $200

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet for autocross event???

Quick Reply: Helmet for autocross event???