Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Bilstein Sport Shocks for C5 STAT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Need Bilstein Sport Shocks for C5 STAT!!!!

As I mentioned in another thread I found a busted bushing on one of my Bilstein Sport shocks and I have a track event coming up this Saturday. Placed an order yesterday for a set only to find out today they don't actually have them in stock!!! WTF!!

So now I am scrambling to find some. LG Motorsports says they have a set but they have to find them after their move, so no guarantee they will find them in time.

Other vendors don't have them in stock and they are on back order. UGH!!

Looks like I will be waiting to hear back from LG and hopefully they can find them today as they are only 300 miles away and they can be shipped here pretty quick.

Other than that, only other options I could pursue, other than getting OEM shocks?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you get stuck, just put on a stock C5Z shock on that corner. It's valved so close that you won't be able to tell the difference. It will get you thru a track day. BTW which shock is it, front or rear??
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Tormania
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you get stuck, just put on a stock C5Z shock on that corner. It's valved so close that you won't be able to tell the difference. It will get you thru a track day. BTW which shock is it, front or rear??
Front left.

I'll know by the end of the day if LG can find their set of shocks.

Would a local dealer have a C5Z shock in stock usually or would I need to get it from our Forum GM vendor?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at your other thread it sounds like the bumpstops that sit under the blue cap are what disintigrated. Typically we've found that the lower you drop these cars on the factory adjustment bolts, or if you're running a really sticky race tires with some of the softer sprung cars, the more likely you are to bump off of them on a regular basis. This can beat them up long term.

We've got a fantastic sport shock available and in stock with the Johnny O'Connell shocks that we can send to you. We're in Salt Lake City, and if you get to us before 3pm Mountain Time we can get them shipped today.

The JO shocks are part of our Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 package, and are targeted at folks running Corvettes mostly on the street with some occasional track use. You will find that they're a little firmer than any of the factory shock options in slow speed shock events, but at higher speeds or over rough road surfaces the car should ride smoother than the factory shocks. This means you should see an improvement in turn in response as well as confidence over rough or broken road surfaces.

If you want to place an order let us know, like I mentioned before we've got them in stock and ready to ship this afternoon.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Looking at your other thread it sounds like the bumpstops that sit under the blue cap are what disintigrated. Typically we've found that the lower you drop these cars on the factory adjustment bolts, or if you're running a really sticky race tires with some of the softer sprung cars, the more likely you are to bump off of them on a regular basis. This can beat them up long term.
Sounds like exactly the thing that happened. My car is lowered on the factory adjustment bolts and these shocks have been on the car for years and probably at least 75K miles.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tormania
Front left.

Would a local dealer have a C5Z shock in stock usually or would I need to get it from our Forum GM vendor?
Probably not going to find them at a dealer and they are expensive to boot. I was just thinking if you had one, or could borrow one from somebody local it would get you thru the weekend. I'd call around to any friends who have a C5Z and have changed shocks to see if you can borrow one.

The good news is that the fronts are valved exactly the same as the Bilsteins, so the car will handle just fine with them.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong thread.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 05-23-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM Sent
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Tormania
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

UPDATE - After having more time to think about my dilemma I figured out the simpilest solution, all I need to replace is the failed bushing as the rest of the shock is just fine. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind to begin with, ugh!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tormania
UPDATE - After having more time to think about my dilemma I figured out the simpilest solution, all I need to replace is the failed bushing as the rest of the shock is just fine. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind to begin with, ugh!

Thanks for the replies guys.
If you have 75,000 miles on the shocks they have long ago given up the ship. I'd say about 55,000 miles ago!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set that i just took off my track car.. they have 6-8 track days.. just got a set of coil over $300.00

Manny

Get notified of new replies

To Need Bilstein Sport Shocks for C5 STAT!!!!

Quick Reply: Need Bilstein Sport Shocks for C5 STAT!!!!