Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet liner/skull cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Helmet liner/skull cap

Back in my Phantom days we used to have felt skull caps that wicked perspiration off our heads during flight. I always kept a handful in my helmet bag in case I fodded one up and hi-g flight made sweatballs roll down into my eyes.

I just bought a new helmet for HPDE and I'd like to keep it nice. I can already foresee some hot days at VIR.

I know you racing types are wearing a nomex balaclava, but are you DE guys wearing anything between your head and your helmet? I looked everywhere and all I could find were some USAF skull caps they wanted $25 apiece for.

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Pop by the closest Base, I'm sure the ALSE shop will give you a couple. Don't think the new ones are felt though, seems like some kind of man-made fabric.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Back in my Phantom days we used to have felt skull caps that wicked perspiration off our heads during flight. I always kept a handful in my helmet bag in case I fodded one up and hi-g flight made sweatballs roll down into my eyes.

I just bought a new helmet for HPDE and I'd like to keep it nice. I can already foresee some hot days at VIR.

I know you racing types are wearing a nomex balaclava, but are you DE guys wearing anything between your head and your helmet? I looked everywhere and all I could find were some USAF skull caps they wanted $25 apiece for.

Any ideas?
We processed a bunch of Nomex for a customer here at our plant, and there was some left over. I took that fabric and a Sparco balaclava (for a pattern) to a seamstress here in town to see if she would make me some. Her price was $15 to cut out the pattern, and sew it into a balaclava. Keep in mind, I was furnishing the fabric. I though that was a little pricey, but she wouldn't come off the price.

She did a great job on it, though.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You can buy cotton head socks from the same vendors you get balaclavas
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

How about those rags that the chopper guys tie on their head?

Beats me how you tie it, but it's just a big handkerchief isn't it?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I race my car with a Nomex balaclava. However, I also race a bicycle, and here in Texas, that means heat.....and sweat. So far, the only thing that I have found that works for more than an hour is to use an ordinary tennis sweatband on my head, but cover it with a bicycle skullcap. This leaves the front portion of my forehead and sweatband covered by the skullcap, which seals to my forehead with rubberized material, but leaves the sweatband hanging out the back, diverting the sweat down my back. Not pretty, but it works. I buy the bike stuff at local bike stores, and tennis stuff at Wall Mart.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I buy the lightweight nylon skull caps from these guys and trade back and forth between two of them all day long. They work great.

http://www.schampa.com/default.asp
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I found these:

SweatVac Skull Cap

I'll try a few and see how they work.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I found these:

SweatVac Skull Cap

I'll try a few and see how they work.
I'm interested. Please post your results
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I'm interested. Please post your results
I ordered a pair. I also found a couple old felt ones in my flight gear from three decades ago. I'll file a full report after the NCM HPDE at VIR in June.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

If it isn't Nomex doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an SA rated helmet?

Bill
Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Kart Balaclava's work, I bought 3 for $15 online.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If it isn't Nomex doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an SA rated helmet?

Bill
SA Rating

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
SA Rating

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
As I stated, if the skull cap you put on your head isn't made of Nomex isn't that basically defeating one of the purposes of wearing an SA helmet since the skull cap will be flammable thus it doesn't make any difference from a flammability stand point whether or not you are wearing an SA helmet. It would sort of be like wearing Nomex underwear, Nomex lined race shoes, a 2 or 3 layer fire suit and Nomex gloves but putting an M rated helmet on your head.

Bill
Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

As long as the skull cap is not made of something that melts, like nylon or polyester, the risk that it will burn between your head and helmet would be minimal (if it did you'd be dead already). I wear a nomex flightsuit every day at work, but by regulation I have to wear cotton, wool or nomex undergarments (cotton is my preferrence).
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I finally got a chance to test the skull caps out at the NCM HPDE at VIR.

They worked great! Actually, it worked great! I never really had to use the second one because the first one worked so well. It was 93 on Monday and I got a little sweaty. I just rinsed it out in the sink, wrung it out, and let it dry which it did in about 20 minutes.

Recommended!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
You can buy cotton head socks from the same vendors you get balaclavas
cotton does not wick well and a balaclava is on your forehead to stop sweat from going in your eyes.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Any ideas?
This:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&s=automotive

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet liner/skull cap

Quick Reply: Helmet liner/skull cap