Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brakes. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I installed the 6 piston monoblock's on the front and temporarily moved the o.e. fronts to the rear on my 2002 c5z. Getting matching rears from the manf will get me closer, but I want to understand what's going on before I do. I'm leaving a lot on the table and don't want to apply band aid fixes like proportioning valves.

Topics: test methods using pressure gauges, front to rear brake percentage for shortest stops (assume a typical hoosier 315/335-18 tire package and 14" disks at all 4 corners), dual masters with quickly interchangeable diameters, balance bars, o.e. front versus rear caliper volume, o.e. front master cylinder volume for front and rear circuits, o.e. proportioning valve info, and finally delaying rear brake action compared to front via delay valves or pad compounds.

I understand this is hard earned knowledge for race teams and manufactures, so feel free to PM me.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I guess my first question is your usage.....what are you gonna use it for?

Brakes are a system. I would call Gary at Hardbar, Phoenix, or some pro race preparation service to get their recommendation for a complete race brake system, since that sounds like what you are asking about. They will want to know what series or sanctioning organization you are running with, so they can check their regulations. And then they will want to know your weight and distribution, tire type etc. It is a SYSTEM. Don't peacemeal it. You'll spend too much money.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know the answer to all your questions but this might point you in the right direction. Wilwood is very generous with all their info and it's all posted on their website.

One particular bit of info that might be useful is that they preserve the OEM balance if you install only the front or rear kit separately. What this means is that their calipers are close to the the OEM calipers in regard to piston area.

From their website the front caliper has a piston area of 4.04 in^2 whereas the rear caliper has a piston area of 2.46 in^2.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Quick Reply: Brakes. The good, the bad, and the ugly.