Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing/using brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Storing/using brake fluid

I have read many posts which talk about the usable shelf life for brake fluid. The general consensus is that once the container is opened the fluid should be used within two weeks or risk moisture contamination (this is very important to those of us who track our cars). So, when I buy a bottle of $20-$50 fluid to "top off" my system ,I need to discard the left over shortly thereafter. Why can't I simply transfer the remaining fluid to a vacuum type bottle/container for later use? I would think that by removing the ambient air/moisture, the fluid would be safe until it is opened later. Has anyone tried this method
Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I have to admit I've cheated this a little bit at times. On the other hand when I'm getting ready for the track I generally use the whole quart to flush the system. I really want as much new fluid in my brake system as possible.

Why put it back on the shelf when you can easily put it in the car - where it actually does some good.

Here's an article I did for Vintage Motorsport magazine on brake fluid.

Richard Newton
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

if it's not all out competition, I agree saving it is fine. I personally try and use a fresh bottle for bleeding, and save the left over for clutch reservoir or my street car.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
if it's not all out competition, I agree saving it is fine. I personally try and use a fresh bottle for bleeding, and save the left over for clutch reservoir or my street car.
That is my plan, however are you saying that when using the remaining brake fluid to "Ranger" my clutch I do not need to be as concerned about the age of my fluid?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to take a contrarian opinion in this discussion. I run 8-10 track events a year and do not completely flush my fluid after an event. I just power bleed till clean fluid comes out of the calipers, usually several ounces at each corner. The remainder stays in the can and can sit sometimes for 2-3 months before it is all used up. As long as your can stays tightly sealed, the amount of water infiltration will be minimal and not cause a problem. BTW I use ATE Super Blue.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

That is how I am doing things now (ATE blue, power bleed,etc.)) ,but many of these posts gave me cause for concern
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Seems like someone mentioned in an earlier thread to keep opened can sealed inside a freezer bag. Where mine is now.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waddisme
Seems like someone mentioned in an earlier thread to keep opened can sealed inside a freezer bag. Where mine is now.
I thought about using one of those wine bottle vacuum stoppers.....anyone tried this?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I am trying this method now:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...out-waste.html
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ozer
Ozer, thanks for the link, but I can get an airtight seal using the original brake fluid container. I thought that even when sealed air/moisture is trapped in the can which will contaminate the fluid. This is even more of an issue with a half full can that has more air. So I was thinking about pumping/sucking out the air before closing the container to reduce the risk and extend the shelf life. I know the wine industry sells many kits to evacuate air from bottles before sealing so I was thinking this might be an option. Any other thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06TWT
Ozer, thanks for the link, but I can get an airtight seal using the original brake fluid container. I thought that even when sealed air/moisture is trapped in the can which will contaminate the fluid. This is even more of an issue with a half full can that has more air. So I was thinking about pumping/sucking out the air before closing the container to reduce the risk and extend the shelf life. I know the wine industry sells many kits to evacuate air from bottles before sealing so I was thinking this might be an option. Any other thoughts?
Yea, take your half full plastic can of brake fluid, squeese it to push the air out and put the cap on.

We bleed the racecar calipers every event but certainly don't worry about weither the fluid on the shelf is 2 weeks or a couple months old. It's not even on the check list.

BTW, I have a Formula Ford that has m/c caps with holes in them, open to the atmosphere , does it concern me...nope, not at all.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
......open to the atmosphere , does it concern me...nope, not at all.
Yea, but.......You live in nice dry Nevada.

I live in damp, muggy, humid Florida!!

Just checked my hygrometer and it says it's 93% relative humidity out there right now, but we're in between bands of rain from the tropical storm that just passed north of here, and I bet it's really more like 99%!!!

Bob
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yea, but.......You live in nice dry Nevada.

I live in damp, muggy, humid Florida!!

Just checked my hygrometer and it says it's 93% relative humidity out there right now, but we're in between bands of rain from the tropical storm that just passed north of here, and I bet it's really more like 99%!!!

Bob
Yea, but I race in humid ol Ca.
And did the same thing with fluid when I raced in Pa.

The thing with brake fluid absorbing moisture is hugely overblown. If push the air out of an opened container and use it in a couple months, there won't be a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing/using brake fluid

Quick Reply: Storing/using brake fluid