Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Lines - Teflon Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default SS Lines - Teflon Tape?

I just ordered Russell SS brake lines. Install looks like it is just a bolt on, but I am wondering if I should use teflon tape to prevent leaks. Any recommendations?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I just ordered Russell SS brake lines. Install looks like it is just a bolt on, but I am wondering if I should use teflon tape to prevent leaks. Any recommendations?
I am not sure about the Russell brake lines, but last week I installed Stoptech ss lines on my C6. These had flare fittings on one end and banjo fits on the caliper side. Both of these use straight or parallel threads where the seal is not on the threads like NPT (national pipe taper). Pipe fittings use tapered, interference threads and need teflon tape to make the seal. I presume the Russells are similar to the Stoptech and if you use teflon tape you will contaminate your brake fluid and/or create a leak.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Teflon on tapered threads only.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

I would never use any type of sealant or Teflon tape around the brake system for fear of getting pieces of it in the system. The seal is not made by the threads on brake system connections. Just my .02 If it works for you that's great. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 05-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Teflon on tapered threads only.
This.

No tape or thread sealer on brake lines. These are for specific thread types (NPT), not just any bolt that seems like it needs it.

Brake fittings are NOT tapered and require nothing. The seal is provided by the fitting type, flare or ISO - look at the little bubble inside the female end. The seal is in that flare, not in the threads. Don't overtighten as that can crush the flare and ruin the seal.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 05-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you guys wrap your ss brake lines? I had a ss remote bleeder line develop a leak last year. Just curious if dirt can get in there and degrade the hose? Would wrapping lines in tape be overkill?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
This.

No tape or thread sealer on brake lines. These are for specific thread types (NPT), not just any bolt that seems like it needs it. The tape or goo contains teflon and acts as a lubricant, it allows the tapered threads to screw in farther. It's not really a "sealer" as the name strangely implies...

Brake fittings are NOT tapered and require nothing. The seal is provided by the fitting type, flare or ISO - look at the little bubble inside the female end. The seal is in that flare, not in the threads. Don't overtighten as that can crush the flare and ruin the seal.
The information in regards to NPT and purpose of teflon use on your first sentence is not true! Where you came up with that information?

Without going into to much details:

NPT, first of all is an interference taper fit. However, it is impossible to have perfect leak free fit without help. That is where teflon tape or PST from Locite comes in to filled the creavices between the interference male and female threads. So, they are indeed an sealer and their use will not enable the taper fit to screw any deeper than the interference designed NPT fit standard!

----

Teflon tape all though good but has many pitfalls if incorrectly applied.

Locite PST w/teflon is far better than tape, user don't have to concern with direction of wrap or problems caused by shred tape. It is anaerobic, use sparingly, the suspended teflon particulates will completely fills the voids between correctly tighten threads and provides an leak free seal.

----

Web information is dangerous when it is not fact based!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Do you guys wrap your ss brake lines? I had a ss remote bleeder line develop a leak last year. Just curious if dirt can get in there and degrade the hose? Would wrapping lines in tape be overkill?
You can use nylon spiral wrap to help prevent abrasion if that's what you mean?

Cale Kastane, a mid atlantic instructor, was killed a few years ago at Summit Point Raceway at a far too young age due to brake failure. Don't take chances if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Seems like some have installed SS lines without a teflon sealent and have been successful. I'm going to give that a shot. If anyone has installed Russels without a sealent and had a very bad day, please flame now.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're installing OEM style lines using banjo bolts then no teflon tape/sealant is needed anywhere. The caliper side seals with copper crush washers and the line side seals via the taper on the fitting ends.

However, if you're using AN lines (no banjo bolts) then the adapter that threads into the caliper uses a dab of thread sealant.

I run Wilwood SL6Rs up front and the adapter that threads into the caliper body is NPT thread and calls for some sealant.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/assembly-tips/

Originally Posted by "AN" ADAPTER INSTALL
Wilwood calipers come with a 1/8"npt (national pipe thread) inlet on the inboard side of the caliper. Your kit is supplied with adapter fittings for the fit of -3AN Stainless Steel braided hoses.

Install the adapter fitting as shown using a small amount of Teflon tape or similar Teflon sealant. Apply this to the larger end of the fitting leaving the cone end dry for the hose to be fit too.

The adapter fitting should be tightened down about half way on down its thread. This can be done with a 7/16 box wrench or socket. If checking torque the net result is about 11ft lbs. Pipe thread is tapered however so it can be forced in deeper if you continue to turn it. Some kits may be supplied with 45 or 90 degree fittings which will require you "point" or "index" the nipple to it's final location.

Last edited by travisnd; 05-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SS Lines - Teflon Tape?

Quick Reply: SS Lines - Teflon Tape?