Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding C6 Z06 Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rebuilding C6 Z06 Calipers

I am going to be rebuilding my calipers and just making sure that I have this right in order to get more out of my car for better track days. Current setup is stock Z06 brakes with Hawk HP Pus pads and TPS Slotted Rotors.

1. SS DRM Pistons (Fronts)
2. Boots and Seals for all four corners
3. Caliper Assembly Lube

Do I also need to get the caliper hardware pin kit?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 AM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a set that i rebuild with the same goodies and i now have them forsale because i went with bigger brembo brakes...

i have to say its a major pain to do.. there are a few tricks that would make it easier ,, You can call me and i will walk you thru it,,

regards,,,Manny

305-333-4445
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by msracing
i have a set that i rebuild with the same goodies and i now have them forsale because i went with bigger brembo brakes...

i have to say its a major pain to do.. there are a few tricks that would make it easier ,, You can call me and i will walk you thru it,,

regards,,,Manny

305-333-4445
I really appreciate that man, thank you very much
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio1988
.....Do I also need to get the caliper hardware pin kit?
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about - the fixed calipers on a C6 Z06/GS/ZR1 don't have the slide pins.

But, if you're talking about the pad pin bolts, I've been running the same ones on my '06 Z06 since new, and they've been through many pad changes.

Take a look at the picture below and you can see that there is a sorta "sleeve" type piece on it:

As long as your bolts aren't bent or real badly corroded and that sleeve is free to rotate around on the bolt, I can't see any reason you'd need new ones. A new set of OE pads comes with a new set of pad pin bolts, so I guess Chevy thinks they may need to be replaced, but I don't see why.

Another thing that might need replacement are the pad spring clips:

But again, I'm still on my original ones, and those springs are ridiculously expensive at more than $10 each.

So, new seals/gaskets should be all you need, and I'm upgrading to SS pistons myself in preparation for VIR the end of the month.

BTW, I took that picture of the caliper above a couple years ago when we were talking about replacing padlets. In that picture the padlets are in upside down - i.e., the tab is toward the inside of the caliper. They will go in upside down, so make sure the tabs are toward the outside of the caliper. If you're installing one-piece pads you can't make that mistake!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Replacing the pad pin bolts is a judgement call. They did get coated with pad deposits that seem to bake on and I had one or two hang up a pad to the point that it kept in contact with the rotor even though my foot was off the brake pedal. That resulted in boiling the brake fluid in the outside portion of the left front caliper and the pedal going to the floor. If you can clean them so the pads don't hang up no need to worry. Otherwise, replace them though those pins aren't cheap at about $12/ea.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding C6 Z06 Calipers

Quick Reply: Rebuilding C6 Z06 Calipers