Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycled out A6's??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Cycled out A6's??

What would the symptoms be of a worn out A6, besides chords showing? What would they feel like on track? I ran a set this past weekend and felt like I was on casters. Started 30psi cold and I dropped them to 29psi hot. They got a little better, but still "greasy". Ran 315/17's.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No grip. A6's don't last long. I get about 2 decent 30 min races and then they fall off bad. On my 4th 30 min race my lap times dropped 6 seconds over the course of the race.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought one set of "3 heat cycle" A6 scrubs and they were awful for track use. Put my car in the fence with them. The same set went on to work okay for autocross on concrete for a few events but I'll never waste my money on another set. It's new or nearly new Kumho V710s from now on for me. I'm not looking to **** away that much money for a couple of tenths of a second for a few sessions when I can get reliable traction for many miles for less money. The guys I autocross with that buy new A6s might beat me the first event they get them then I'm right back in front of them the rest of the events until they buy a new set. They will buy 2 to 3 sets for the time I run one set of 710s. I have also run both scrubs and new 710s on track and never had them fall off during a run.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Han Solo
I bought one set of "3 heat cycle" A6 scrubs and they were awful for track use. Put my car in the fence with them. The same set went on to work okay for autocross on concrete for a few events but I'll never waste my money on another set. It's new or nearly new Kumho V710s from now on for me. I'm not looking to **** away that much money for a couple of tenths of a second for a few sessions when I can get reliable traction for many miles for less money. The guys I autocross with that buy new A6s might beat me the first event they get them then I'm right back in front of them the rest of the events until they buy a new set. They will buy 2 to 3 sets for the time I run one set of 710s. I have also run both scrubs and new 710s on track and never had them fall off during a run.
I'm with you on the used 3-4 heat cycle tires. I have learned my lesson. I do not plan to buy these used tires anymore. $600 got me 1 autox and one f'd up, pain in the *** day on the track. From now on it is new.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience, A6s are fast until corded. Maybe I have been lucky.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
In my experience, A6s are fast until corded. Maybe I have been lucky.
my experience to.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A higher level of entertainment! We ran some A6's at Autobahn that had 5 or 6 heat cycles on them and the car was a bit all over the place. But once you get used to it, you can drive through it. I considered it good training for additional car control. On their 6th cycle they were still good enough to win a race with! For 2012, I've put us on a tighter tire budget, so we are using them until I loose the argument with Joel and we put the newer stuff on!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I set my fastest lap at NASA nats on a set with 5 h/cs and they felt fine. Maybe all heat cycles (TT vs race) don't have the same effect.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
my experience to.
Same here, not as fast as the first few heat cycles but still good, then maybe some drop off just before cording.

----------
John
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a set on my car now that have done 9 TT days (2 of which at CMP where I ran almost every session), 3 of those weekends (Road Atlanta) drove to and from the track so they have about 60-70 hwy miles to. At last outing they were only about 1.5 sec off a sticker tire pace. (33's in traffic)

I'd race them next weekend if I thought they would last (tread wise). They might do 1 race.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Highway miles??!!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

track is 4 miles away, 8 round trip. 2x per day if I go home for lunch

it's faster than spending 20 mins putting it on a trailer, driving for 4 mins, and then spending 20 mins pulling it off the trailer.

it's still got a tag
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Auto-X heat cycles beat up the tire a LOT more. The A6s are fast until they cord in road racing, but in auto-x you only get about half the tread life in usable grip. I made the mistake of buying used A6s from an autocrosser once because they had good date codes and lots of life left, but they were hard as a rock and slicker on track than my 5 year old V710s.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Auto-X heat cycles beat up the tire a LOT more. The A6s are fast until they cord in road racing, but in auto-x you only get about half the tread life in usable grip. I made the mistake of buying used A6s from an autocrosser once because they had good date codes and lots of life left, but they were hard as a rock and slicker on track than my 5 year old V710s.
Sounds like they are inconsistent at best. The only set I tried supposedly had only 3 heat cycles of track use. The first time I tried them was on track and they sucked at the beginning and after 15 minutes they were terrible. I was able to treat them with my special sauce and get some autocross use out of them on coarse concrete but I wouldn't dare try them on track again.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had decent luck out of A6's wear wise. But some of that depends on setup, driving style and the track. I ran the same A6's at Road Atlanta and VIR last year (2 qualifying sessions and 4 race sessions) and the tires still felt pretty good and look good. Took a brand new set of A6's to CMP and the rear's were shredded that you couldn't even see the grove lines anymore.

The A6's seem to be very fast the first 15 minutes of a race. After that, they start sliding around some and only get worse and you really have to watch about sliding them around at the end of a race. I'm still a newbie when it comes to managing my tires in a race, but they are better than R6's anyday at least in my experience.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience matched what some others have already said. They get very greasy as they heat cycle away, but they're still fast. After 12-13 heat cycles they're pretty much done for competition to me.

I've never had an experience on them like Mark's (drivinhard) where I took them out past 15 heat cycles. 9 TT days @ 2 sessions a day average is 18 cycles, maybe more!

The tires I'm racing on this weekend have 7 heat cycles, but one was in the rain so not sure if that counts for much. All have been TT sessions from February and March at VIR. I do plan on flipping the tires on the rims to get the most meat on the outer edge in an attempt to get them to last the weekend and not cord.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that the A6 does not like a lot of heat. Many of us AutoXr's cool our tires after every run in the summer. I've found they get greasy above 120F but are good all the way down to 60F. Isn't that why Hoosier makes R6's?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't equate "feels greasy" with "is slow". A6's slip but still grip.

Certainly one can be junk if heat cycle'd out or poorly stored, but in general they seem to last a long time.

This track record:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...d-grattan.html

was set on a set of corded front A6's that I pulled off my car when the radiator went and loaned to Rob for the last session. That set was bought used from Phoenix last summer, stored in my non-climate controlled garage in Michigan for a year, and mounted a couple of weeks ago. I put 8 HC on them over two track days before taking them off because my car's lack of - camber ate them.

In other words, bad A6's are the exception, not the norm.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Harrison
Isn't that why Hoosier makes R6's?
No... A6s are a solid 2 seconds a lap faster than Rs. Most everyone races on As. If you're on Rs you won't keep up.

Get notified of new replies

To Cycled out A6's??

Quick Reply: Cycled out A6's??