Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you separate ball joints from control arms step in please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default If you separate ball joints from control arms step in please

Tired of beating them apart. What tool do you use, please be specific, where to buy, price, etc. Works on c5 & c6?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If you mean removing the balljoint from the control arm then lmost every chain autoparts store will loan you a balljoint separator. They work great.

If you mean separating the balljoint from the spindle then go on eBay and buy the Kent-Moore GM separator tool. I got tired of rigging a pulley puller and using random stuff so I spent the money on the specific tool for the job. They usually go for about $70 on eBay.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Other option is using heat. I have not done this, but apparently the ball joint will come out easily (fall out) if you heat the area with something like MAPP gas.
There was a topic on this a while ago, see the reply by LG.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a balljoint puller that I bought from Advanced Auto for around $20-$30. It has made life so much easier when dealing with balljoints and removing hubs when needed. Put it in place, tighten it up and the part just pops off. Well worth it to have one in your garage toolbox
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You need to heat them up and then press them out with a ball joint press or hydraulic press. If you beat them out and damage the inside aluminum socket you're be buying some new A-Arms.

I've done it several times on a few different cars. It also helps to put the new ball joints into the freezer over night before installing them. This shrinks them down. Heat up the A-Arm a bit and press in and then let cool. Install dust boots.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you want to get the ball joint out of the control arm? or separate it from the spindle? If you want to separate it from the spindle, get the Kent-Moore tool, works great. I got mine on e-bay. If you are trying to take it out of the A-arm to replace it? go to Advance Auto and they will lend you ( for free, they charge you then give you the money back when you bring the tool back) a ball joint puller kit with all of the dies and pieces you will need to take them out and put the new ones back in. JD
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the Kent-Moore tool was crap, a pitman arm puller worked much better.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Do you want to get the ball joint out of the control arm? or separate it from the spindle? If you want to separate it from the spindle, get the Kent-Moore tool, works great. I got mine on e-bay. If you are trying to take it out of the A-arm to replace it? go to Advance Auto and they will lend you ( for free, they charge you then give you the money back when you bring the tool back) a ball joint puller kit with all of the dies and pieces you will need to take them out and put the new ones back in. JD

I've had the Kent Moore tool not work perfectly... usually on the fronts which get so much force put through them. I learned to put tension on the tool then jack up on the spindle to use the spring force on the LCA to assist in separation. Then a small tap with a hammer will make it pop free.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks guys, just to clarify it's pulling the CA off the ball joint on the upper that I had issue with. Not removing it from the upright.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I think this is what I need. I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That works perfectly for the UCA spindle ball joint.

For the LCA you can do what Brian does, jack up on the hub putting load on the spring, tap the LCA where the ball joint goes in and let the spring do the work.

Also, you can use a 2 jaw puller. They're cheap and effective for the LCA, but won't work on the rears because the axle is in the way.

Here's a 2 jaw puller:

Originally Posted by froggy47
I think this is what I need. I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I eventually got the upper off using a 2 arm puller, but it was a "long" arm one so the other end was getting in the way of stuff, even with the corner turned.

If that works for the tops only, I'll be happy. I have done the bottom using David's method.

Thanks!

Do you guys put anything on the "cones" to make it easier next time, or would that make it impossible to tighten the nut to spec?

Get notified of new replies

To If you separate ball joints from control arms step in please

Quick Reply: If you separate ball joints from control arms step in please