Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Suspension woes

I had a 2 day HPDE last month. The whole weekend went great, really in the grove, driving really well getting faster and faster each session while feeling smoother and smoother.

During the 3rd session on the 2 day I started to fell some sort of "click-clunk" in the front suspension. Thought it was my imagination but felt it a couple more times. Wouldn't always happen, plus I noticed the laps times starting to go down. Something didn't feel right so I pitted and called it a day. Was really tired so I packed it up and went home.

Today I went to check out the car and put it on the lift and this is what I found:

Seems the alignment bolt and eccentric managed to work themselves loose (or were already loose) on the forward bushing of the left front lower control arm. As consequence, this happened:

I've only been on R6s from street tires about a month with maybe 10-12 sessions before this occurred.

Corded my fairly new R6 on the right front...which is what I'm most pissed about. I also think my bushing are starting to walk. So now I'm at the crossroads of doing suspension mods.

I'd like to do everything at once to save the labor costs being duplicated down the road. Thinking of going with the Pfadt spherical bearing kit and camber kit. I've got new SKF hubs and LGs drop spindles.

Any suggestions on how to proceed...i.e should I just bite the bullet and do the sways and coil overs as well or can those wait? Of course they can wait but would I be better off just doing it now and getting it over with?

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 06-08-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 AM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you ever plan on time trials or racing? If so, check the class rules youre planning on running. Most don't allow spherical bearings.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

It's hard to tell in the pictures but did the cam destroy/open up the inset on the cradle when it was moving around? If so you may need to replace the cradle to be able to hold LCA Cams or Camber kit parts in place.

Bill
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It's hard to tell in the pictures but did the cam destroy/open up the inset on the cradle when it was moving around? If so you may need to replace the cradle to be able to hold LCA Cams or Camber kit parts in place.

Bill
I hadn't thought about that until I was writing this post and looking at the pictures again. I thought the very same thing. I won't really know until I pull off the LCA and have a look see.

Jay
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimtway
Do you ever plan on time trials or racing? If so, check the class rules youre planning on running. Most don't allow spherical bearings.
I don't ever plan on racing, too expensive and too many rules. Plus the car I have doesn't have a "legal" cage.

Someone else had mentioned the time trials and that might be a little more interesting to me so I'll need to look into that before making and decisions.

Jay
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
Slight correction.......Most will allow it...just some you will pay a penalty and others you won't.

I would recommend sphericals and the camber kit.
Wait on the rest, you will be amazed at how much better the car feels, turns in and handles just with the switch to sphericals.

And your cradle looks fine. You may have to do a bit of cleaning up to some edges with a file or die grinder but otherwise you will be fine.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I don't think it is damaged, it just came VERY loose. The only time I had this happen on track, is when I had a shock "blow" and the excessive suspension travel worked the concentric loose. Just to be safe, I would check your shocks for any damage, and not just assume someone left the bolt loose.

I wouldn't go overboard unless it is something you were already planning on doing. Camber plates are great, but concentrics work fine 90% of the time.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

You may want to consider Pfadt poly bushings! instead of the sphericals. And the camber kit. It looks like you can clean up the cradle and use the camber kit to solve the problem. Also check tie rod ends and the boots on the ball joints. JD
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are going to street it:

I would look at Pfadt poly bushing and camber kit.

The sphericals are not really designed for street use.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the loss of camber, I would have expected the outside edge of the tire to cord first.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Skip the poly. Very few people have had good experiences with poly bushings at the track. You need Delrin. You need to talk to the folks a Phoenix Performance or DJ Racing. Either one can help you out with the right stuff.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Today I went to check out the car and put it on the lift and this is what I found:

Seems the alignment bolt and eccentric managed to work themselves loose (or were already loose) on the forward bushing of the left front lower control arm. As consequence, this happened:

I've only been on R6s from street tires about a month with maybe 10-12 sessions before this occurred.

Corded my fairly new R6 on the right front...which is what I'm most pissed about. I also think my bushing are starting to walk. So now I'm at the crossroads of doing suspension mods.

I'd like to do everything at once to save the labor costs being duplicated down the road. Thinking of going with the Pfadt spherical bearing kit and camber kit. I've got new SKF hubs and LGs drop spindles.

Any suggestions on how to proceed...i.e should I just bite the bullet and do the sways and coil overs as well or can those wait? Of course they can wait but would I be better off just doing it now and getting it over with?

Jay
Sorry to see this! As I was reading your description before seeing the photos I was thinking it may have been the eccentrics backing off. As long as there isn't any damage to the bores our camber kit should clean up this issue for good.

Coming down to Poly vs. Sphericals it depends on if the car is seeing street time. Aside from an increase in Noise there isn't a reason why the sphericals won't work on the street, but you absolutely will accelerate wear on the bearings themselves. If the car is seeing more than 10% street time we generally recommend running Poly bushings. That being said there really is a huge difference in handing after moving to sphericals in the right application.

Properly fit and designed poly bushings are really the best solution for your C5/C6 that sees a good amount of street time. The install is pretty straight forward and requires no special machining to get right the first time. A little trimming to the front upper bushings may be necessary depending on your particular control arms, but fitting the new parts is really pretty easy and the instructions are well outlined in the latest revised instructions.

If you have any questions please let us know! We definitely have the parts to get your Corvette handling the way you want it too!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I run Pfadt poly & camber kit for street/track & it's a terrific set up, you won't be disappointed. Just clean up (file/grinder) the sub frame edge so the kit will have a nice sharp edge to set against. It's way more solid than concentrics (stupid GM design).

I don't think there is much labor savings on any of the upgrades you are looking at, are you doing it yourself or paying?

I have videos on most of this stuff, see below.

I had 4 tires ruined when I let an alignment shop do mine. The d**k head did not torque any of the concentrics enough. Now I do my own.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Sorry to see this! As I was reading your description before seeing the photos I was thinking it may have been the eccentrics backing off. As long as there isn't any damage to the bores our camber kit should clean up this issue for good.

Coming down to Poly vs. Sphericals it depends on if the car is seeing street time. Aside from an increase in Noise there isn't a reason why the sphericals won't work on the street, but you absolutely will accelerate wear on the bearings themselves. If the car is seeing more than 10% street time we generally recommend running Poly bushings. That being said there really is a huge difference in handing after moving to sphericals in the right application.

Properly fit and designed poly bushings are really the best solution for your C5/C6 that sees a good amount of street time. The install is pretty straight forward and requires no special machining to get right the first time. A little trimming to the front upper bushings may be necessary depending on your particular control arms, but fitting the new parts is really pretty easy and the instructions are well outlined in the latest revised instructions.

If you have any questions please let us know! We definitely have the parts to get your Corvette handling the way you want it too!
Do you all sell individual bushings or groups of them? The stock rubber upper control arm bushings on my car are ok for now but look like they will be the first to go by far; it'd be less expense and work to just replace those rather than install the full poly kit.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Skip the poly. Very few people have had good experiences with poly bushings at the track. You need Delrin. You need to talk to the folks a Phoenix Performance or DJ Racing. Either one can help you out with the right stuff.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
I'm pulling out the poly and putting in delrin this month. Wish I would have skipped that step.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the pfadt poly but wish Id have just saved the few extra bucks for their metal setup or a delrin setup. the labor is the worst part about the bushings - not something you want to do or pay for twice.

honestly I dont understand why people are whiney about the metal stuff "making noise" on the street. if its functioning properly who gives a damn? its a sports car, not an old man bentley.

use good powdered graphite to lube the joints (grease will attract dirt) and if youre really paranoid, use some rubber boots over the joints - end of problem.

pfadts camber plate kit is great - just buy some longer studs (theyre for the upper control arms) because you may need the extra room if you run a lot of shims

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Car is a track only car, it will never see the street again as it's gutted and caged.

Tie rod ends on the front were just replaced a few months ago and I wrapped the boots with heat reflective tape. I need to grease those now that I think of it.

I was thinking of doing the work myself as in the disassembly and assembly of the CA and spindles. I have a shop that has done the bearings on many cars so I will probably let them install the bearings in the CA and then I'll put it all back together again.

Thanks for all the options, I think I'm going to do just the sphericals and camber kit for now and then come back and do the coil overs and sways later.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension woes

Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
...did the cam destroy/open up the inset on the cradle when it was moving around?
First thing that popped into my head looking at the pics. Inspect the inset area carefully and make sure it is still OK to hold the LCA in place.

Someone else had mentioned the time trials and that might be a little more interesting to me...
I race W2W and do TT currently, but making the jump to TT after years of driving in circles in HPDE groups was invigorating. I grew up playing sports constantly so adding competition to my track addiction made it much more exciting. Never looked back. You don't need a "legal" cage to TT. In most groups HPDE tech applies.

Skip the poly. Very few people have had good experiences with poly bushings at the track. You need Delrin...
While Delrin may be superior, there are many of us running PTA/TTA who have had lots of success with the Poly. Most who complain about it drive their cars on the street and don't like the increase in NVH. I've been TTing and Racing my car for two seasons with them and they're still perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by froggy47
I had 4 tires ruined when I let an alignment shop do mine. The d**k head did not torque any of the concentrics enough. Now I do my own.
That's the nice thing about the camber blocks. Set it and forget it

I was thinking of doing the work myself as in the disassembly and assembly of the CA and spindles. I have a shop that has done the bearings on many cars so I will probably let them install the bearings in the CA and then I'll put it all back together again.
Don't be afraid to DIY. The install isn't hard, it just takes time. Getting all the old bushings out is easy, but pressing in some of the 1-piece polys can be tricky. If you're going spericals the install is even easier.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Ok - Here's a poly bushing. Now explain to me why this is better than Delrin.

The good part was that Energy Suspension made me a special batch of bushings to replace these. The bad part was I had to do all the work. If you don't mind taking your car apart on an annual basis poly should work just fine.

Richard Newton
Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Ok - Here's a poly bushing. Now explain to me why this is better than Delrin.

The good part was that Energy Suspension made me a special batch of bushings to replace these. The bad part was I had to do all the work. If you don't mind taking your car apart on an annual basis poly should work just fine.

Richard Newton
Those are not the Pfadt Poly's!! I ran a HPDE car 25 to 30 track days a year for 4+ years with Pfadt poly's and they were actually in good shape when I replaced them with the updated Pfadt kit, plus they really take care of there customers. As mentioned earlier most of us have been very happy with the Pfadt's. I just redid the entire suspension including bushings,shocks and sways,bearing, ball joints and tie rod ends. Give me a call if I can be of any help. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 06-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension woes