Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK questions

I know one advantage of these kits is it is usually easier to swap between street and track pads. I am trying to find a good kit for the money (if the math makes sense) since 90% of my car miles are daily driver street miles but want to make life easier for track and autoX.

Have a 2012 grand sport that I will autoX and HPDE about 6 times a year. Does the math make sense to upgrade to a BBK? Can't find any posts that really address what the break even point is.

Brembo is not in my budget so it would likely be wilwood or stoptech. Stoptech looks like it costs a little more. Is it worth the money? Would love to hear from someone that has used both wilwood and stoptech and can speak from first hand experience.

Last question.... Do these kits allow me to use other pads like carbotech ( as opposed to using wilwood pads, for example)? I have used their xp10/xp8 set up in HPDE before and would consider xp12/xp10 setup going forward unless BBK pads from wilwood are considered comparable in stopping power quality and better bang for the buck.

Last edited by MarkDFW; 06-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I debated this for quite some time. I have tried everything to bandaid the poor braking but nothing worked I have a C6Z that is modded for track duty When I got the car I was an intermediate driver. My brakes cinsisted of DBA rotors, stock calipers, Stainless steel lines, Quantinum brake cooling ducts and ran SRF fluid. Carbotecs one piece pads XP12 front XP10 rear. My experience was replacing pads frequently, every 2 tra ck days (expensive). Also some sessions I noticed brakes got soft - I bleed them, had a tracside nmechanic bleed them - still got soft and problem worsened as I got better at my driving skills. I decided to pull the trigger on a BBK and reasearche all of them. Bremo is the best but $$$$$! AP is an excellent kit but $$$ but not as bad as Brembo. Wilwood is good but the previous kits have a better reputaion ( i stat this only from my research) I spoke to a lot of guys and Stoptech seemed to get the job don for DE and club racing - not beyond that. So sine I a DE giuy I decided to spend $4,500 and buy a new stoptech kit. At that point I came across a guy selling an APkit at a reasonable proice with the proper caliper and rotors for what i wanted to do. Man all I can say is that i am so glad I purchesed this kit. pad changes much less frequent (although pads r expensive), not bleeding at events. And above all never get soft and stop consistently every time. My break evwen will take some time though.
Hope this helps
Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

From a cost stand point! You can do the fronts and stay with the stock rears and use the newer style one piece pads. I put on Brembo fronts and they worked great, but the cost for pads and rotors is very high!!!! almost double that of some others. When I bought my current car, it had Stoptech's on fronts and rears. I love them!!! one thing nice about the Stoptech's is that the front and rear rotors are the same size, this has been factored into the design. It's nice because you car carry a right and left spare and you are all set. Also the big factor is the pads and rotors are readily available and the cost is almost half the Brembo's and about the same or less that other kits. All in all I like the Stoptech's and they use a very common pad size. Good luck with your choice. JD

Get notified of new replies

To BBK questions

Quick Reply: BBK questions