Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Dedicated Track Day Rotor Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Z06 Dedicated Track Day Rotor Suggestion

Trying to find a set of DBA 5000 (front) and DBA 4000 (rear). No one seems to have them in stock. These rotors will be used for track days only with carbotech RP2's (front) and XP8 (rear). I need a set before the next outing July 28. Anyone have an alternative suggestion for rotors? If it matters, I'm running R6s and I have the Z06 brake package on a C6.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Good luck with the RP2s. I used them once and got rid of them because they leave smear on the rotor. I went back to XP10s and XP 8s.

Be sure and check your DBA rotors to make sure they aren't the recalled ones. A couple of people here have had significant damage when the rotor broke.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Good luck with the RP2s. I used them once and got rid of them because they leave smear on the rotor. I went back to XP10s and XP 8s.

Be sure and check your DBA rotors to make sure they aren't the recalled ones. A couple of people here have had significant damage when the rotor broke.
Excellent. Now if I could only hear from someone who actually read my question. I think you meant to post in the "Are RP2 pads good?" and "Has anyone had a problem with DBA rotors?" threads.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just purchased a set of DBA 5000 rotors for my Z06. KNS Brakes had them in stock and shipped same day as order. GREAT prices compared to other vendors. Give Ken a call to order.
http://www.knsbrakes.com/
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 491 Likes on 418 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I just purchased a set of DBA 5000 rotors for my Z06. KNS Brakes had them in stock and shipped same day as order. GREAT prices compared to other vendors. Give Ken a call to order.
http://www.knsbrakes.com/
Call Ken.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Used OEM rotors since 2006 and could not be happier...$79 each.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We usually melt the stock calipers off before the rotors fail

Thats the reason we do not manufacture a stock replacement aftermarket rotor, because the caliper is the main problem, it just isnt up to the task.

Louis
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
We usually melt the stock calipers off before the rotors fail

Thats the reason we do not manufacture a stock replacement aftermarket rotor, because the caliper is the main problem, it just isnt up to the task.

Louis
One track day with stock Z06 rotor and Carbotech RP2 pad. The entire rotor has little spider cracks all over the surface of the fronts. I'm told this is normal but still not interested in taking these rotors back to the track again. Do you see these spider cracks on yours too?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
svcjmo
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Wilwood Aluminum Hats with Spec 37 Rotors, You'll be very happy. Call Paul at VanSteel. Off to June Sprints today.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
One track day with stock Z06 rotor and Carbotech RP2 pad. The entire rotor has little spider cracks all over the surface of the fronts. I'm told this is normal but still not interested in taking these rotors back to the track again. Do you see these spider cracks on yours too?
The answer to that is yes. They all do it and you will waste a lot of money changing rotors after each track day.

Bill
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
All rotors get the spider cracks. If you chucked every rotor after it got spider cracks you'd be wasting a ton of money and rotors. It's perfectly normal.

There is nothing wrong with this rotor... this is after 8 or 9 track weekends using Carbotech XP12s. It's a DBA 2-piece unit. Chuck them when they actually crack, you'll feel a distinct rhythmic thumping in your brake pedal.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not worry about spider cracks, or "Heat checks" until they go to the outer edge of the rotor, and go all the way THROUGH the rotor. Thats when they are done, until then, run them.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Dedicated Track Day Rotor Suggestion

Quick Reply: Z06 Dedicated Track Day Rotor Suggestion